“Great view, interesting menu” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 108 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
texas
“Great view, interesting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We ate here during a visit to Taos a couple of years ago and were really looking forward to our dinner. The view remains exquisite and the service was great (included hiking tips!). The food was quite good, though perhaps not as good as we’d remembered. I had the buffalo tamale and my husband the bison short ribs and pozole. Beer was only available in bottles. Both beer and wine selections were limited.

Visited August 2014

“WOW! Great Food, Great View, Better Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

When you pull up to El Meze our initial thought was, hummmmm? Boy were we surprised. Once we checked in we were seated on the patio with an outstanding view of Taos Mountain. The patio also houses the herb garden for this fine dining establishment. And lets be clear, if you are looking for New Mexican food, keep going. This is a splendid restaurant that serves local variety, think Trout, Beef, Chicken with locally grown vegetables and all around freshness.

Now to the service. WONDERFUL! Our waiter was Harley Davidson (seriously we checked his license). Harley was very educated on the menu and made wonderful suggestions. His service was exceptional. Blankets are provided if you get cool on the patio and should the temp fall too much out come the heaters. All in all and just a fantastic experience. Well more than we expected. Top 5 meal for my wife and I. Simply Great.

Visited August 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
“Wish I could be a regular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I've had the patio dining experience twice in the summer of 2014 and both times have been outstanding considering both the food and the surrondings. The food selection was unigue, presented well, and the service was attentive but not intrusive. The prices were what one would expect in Taos; high, but consisent with the market. A minor complaint is that the cutlery was cumbersome and felt out of balance which was a distraction. I'm sure I will return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Topeka, Kansas, United States
“Good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is our first time to Taos and so naturally we want authentic local cuisine. I went on trip adviser and urban spoon to see the comments and to see if they had similar results. They did, this restaurant was at the top of each of their lists. We were first there for dinner and were seated immediately with an open room and great views. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. It is different than what we thought would be on the menu so initially we were a little leery, but when it came we were extremely satisfied. My husband had the tamales and I had the pasta which was vegetarian. We shared because they were both excellent and I even put some of the green chili sauce from his tamales on my pasta just to add spice. If you are looking for old school southwestern or Mexican this is not your place but if you want New Mexican with a culinary flare this is your place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Didn't quite deliver”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I'll start by saying the location is quaint. The outdoor patio has a very nice view of the mountains. All in all the place is a bit run down, the inside small and no nonsense so if weather permits I'd choose the outdoor seating. Service was very good, server attentive and personable. I do appreciate that El Meze uses local and seasonal products, so I opted for the beans and short ribs for the appetizers. The beans were under seasoned and played more like a side dish than an appetizer...the short ribs though tasty were also under seasoned and the sauce was a bit on the chalky side. The Posole was very good as was the tamale. I think it's no frills dining, good local fare, but not amazing as the reviews led me to believe. In addition the red wine was served chilled which I found odd.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere