“Super fun!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 13 Tours & Activities in Taos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Los Rios River Runners is New Mexico's oldest, largest, and most experienced rafting company. We've been rafting through the spectacular river canyons of northern New Mexico since 1972. We offer trips from mild to wild, from half-day to 3-days, from the world-class white-knuckle whitewater of the Taos Box (available as a full-day adventure or as part of a multi-day overnight) to family fun adventures and serene floats. Spend starry nights in the serene Chama wilderness, or float along a mellow section of the Rio Grande with a Native Pueblo guide and a traditional feast meal awaiting you at the takeout. Sunset dinner floats too! And check out our multi-sport adventures: rock and raft, pedal and paddle, and paddle and saddle. Los Rios has more access to more stretches of river than any other NM rafting company, and offers the broadest variety of trips. Come boating with us, and take home lifetime memories.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Moore, Oklahoma
“Super fun!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We just took a late season rafting trip on the racecourse portion of the Rio Grande. Our guide, Patrick, did an awesome job! Loved the whole experience, when I go back to New Mexico I will float Los Rios River Runners again! Thanks for an awesome time!!!

Visited October 2013

“Do not let weather scare you!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This trip was the highlight of our excursion on 10-11-13!! We traveled to Taos from Texas. I monitored the weather a month in advance hoping it would be nice enough to raft. We were hesitant after we got snow in Chama the day before. After SEVERAL phone calls to Los Rios we were convinced.....cold, rain, snow we were going!!! Kyla and all the staff I spoke with over the phone with were very nice and answered all my questions and then some!! The day of our trip I panicked a bit and called back to back a few times making sure we were going the right direction as the normal meeting spot was closed. Still friendly service and very kind promising me no worries.

We arrived at the meeting point right on the river. There was 2 changing cubicles and port-a-potty for your last min needs. We were given life vests and splash guards (rain suits) to put on. The guides gave a brief safety speech and overview of what to expect and away we floated!! Suzy was our guide. I reminded her that my friend was a NON-paddler. The confidence she had put me at ease right away. Suzy is very skilled, professional and knowledgable. She took great care of us. We even pulled to the side of the river to evaluate our options on one rapid. Her stories and points of interests were great. She knows the river and enjoys her job. Don't forget to purchase some homemade milk or cheese from her farm... We did :( but we will be back next year. I cannot wait for the camping/rafting trips next year.

Los Rios offers many adventures such as horseback riding, rock climbing, jeep tours to name a few. Events for any season....Go see Los Rios!!!!!

Visited October 2013
Olney, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“So much fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was truly an incredible experience. My wife and I (37 years old and 35 years old) opted for the half day Racecourse offering and went with the boats rather than funyaks. Initially I felt that I had undersold myself by going with the boat since my wife and I are active individuals, my wife even competes in Ironman Triathlons, but ultimately it was the preferred option for us.

Boat vs. Funayk: Where the funyaks give you more control over the raft and provide a more thrilling experience, the boat offers a more educational and social experience. I loved learning about the geography, geology, and history of the area from our tour guide, Josh. I overheard some of this discussion on the funyaks but there was more discussion surrounding maneuvering the funyaks than anything else.

Also, we wouldn't have felt all that challenged except for maybe 1-2 sections on the river. Therefore I would suggest soaking up the scenery and history lessons while seated comfortably in the boat.

For the price, I give this 5 stars. I don't think we paid all that much considering the value we got out of the adventure. It was totally worth it.

Safety and Security: The crew will brief you on safety; helmets, obstacles, life jackets, etc.. It's a short and to-the-point chat so that you can get on the river right away. In the boat we were instructed on when to paddle and in what direction, therefore leaving the driving directions to our trusty tour guide.

I was amazed at how our tour guide maneuvered us around that river, with only slight adjustments we were careening to the other edge of a rapid. I guess if it's your job and you've been doing it for years you would naturally be that good, but I was still mightily impressed. I never once felt out of control on our trip, and that's a good thing.

Overall, a good experience and well worth the time and money.

Visited September 2013
Philadelphia
10 attraction reviews
“Fun in Funyaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We did the Racecourse half day trip and loved it. We are a family of four and our daughters are 13 and 11. Knowing that the water level would be low this time of year, we opted for two-person Funyaks instead of rafting. My wife and I each took one of our daughters in our inflatable kayaks. Suzie was our guide and was in her own Funyak. She told how how to navigate each rapid and we did our best to try and navigate that way. Suzie was a great guide, very knowledge about the river and life in New Mexico. We very much enjoyed our time out on the river with her.

I would recommend giving Funyaks a try, especially if the water level is low and you have been rafting before. You will definitely get caught on the rocks from time to time and have to maneuver to get unstuck. I would definitely recommend Los Rios River Runners in high water or low water!

Visited August 2013
Glen Rock, New Jersey
“Top-notch rafting experience, guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were hesitant to take young children on a whitewater rafting trip but Los Rios River Runners heard our concerns and reassured us that the Pilar Race Course would be age-appropriate, esp. when the water wasn't running as high as it does earlier in the summer. (They also recommended the afternoon trip, where it would be a little bit warmer.) Their recs were 100% correct, and Suzy, our guide, effortlessly (so it looked to us) and enthusiastically guided us down the river, pointing out key landmarks in a fun yet educational way. She seemed to intuitively balance thrill and comfort for our 7- and 9-year-olds. We would totally trust her to take us through the more challenging part of the Rio Grande when the water is really running. Good job, Los Rios!

Visited August 2013