“Perfect southwestern ambience (and I never thought i'd like this style!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun God Lodge

You added Sun God Lodge to your Saves list
Sun God Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   919 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taos
“Perfect southwestern ambience (and I never thought i'd like this style!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

This has to be my all-time favorite lodging. When I opened the door to the room I almost gasped...when you turn the lights on the recessed nooks (with dimmers) come to life, highlighting whimsical southwest architecture miniatures. There is a wood beam on the cieling as well as a half-wall with that southwest staggered step feature that seperates the vanity area from the rest of the room. Furniture is rugged and cute as well. I've come to realize there isn't a HUGE difference in rooms $150 and under, atleast in my experience, so way pay more? This room was better than the $100 room I had in Santa Fe the night before. I was a bit skeptical of the bed at first (a bit old and squeaky) but boy was it comfortable. It just felt worn in in the best way, like a comfortable pair of jeans. I do have an issue with safety factors however: All the outdoor lights were off so I constantly had to fumble with the access card. I was way in the back so it was extra dark and isolated...scary when you're traveling alone, esp as a woman. The ice machine is located in a diff spot on the property than the vending machines...again you have to fumble around in the dark for a switch. They will ask you if you want an air conditioned room (?)...I realize now you really don't need it as this is crisp, clean air up here. All in all I wholeheartedly recommend this property...it's quaint, unique (why pay the same price for a cookie cutter motel room that's spartan?) If you're in this area, might as well welcome the style into your room. =)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
socal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I booked a room here about a month in advance to the weekend we were going to stay. I cancelled the reservation about a week later after deciding that we were going to stay elsewhere. The receptionist who cancelled the reservation was nice and said no problem. So...I assumed all was well. This was until the charge for the room showed up on my credit card statement. I called the hotel and the receptionist said he manager was not in that day and she would call me back the following day. She never did, so I called again and got a hold of her. She told me that the hotel was busy that particular weekend and that they had the room sitting empty (basically blaming me for this). I told her that I had cancelled and she said she would have to get back to me because she needed to talk to the staff...(like someone on the staff was going to admit they had made a mistake) so she never called me back and I tried her again and she wasn't in. 4 days later, I called my bank and disputed the charge. They removed it immediately and said that because she didn't call back to even discuss it further within 48 hours that they could take care of it on their end. I was really angry because I definitely cancelled this reservation at least 3 weeks before the scheduled stay.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stop here!!! Staying here right now and it's so cute. The decor is awesome and the rooms are big and clean. You can't beat this place for the price. They also give you a book for sightseeing and great tips on where to visit. My bed is soft but in a good way :-)

• Stayed June 2010
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Judy and Steve are great, really informative about what to do and see.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rio Rancho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Hot tub was out of order, beds were saggy and squeaky. Checked out after being there for 5 minutes. Were told the manager would have to do our refund. Called the next day, only to be told she would not refund our money. She hung up on us several times as we tried to discuss this. Also refused to give us the number for the corporate office. We are filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
judyintaos, General Manager at Sun God Lodge, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
I think possibly there was a very big misunderstanding here. Your trip to Taos was
booked on one of our heaviest weekends, Memorial Day. I am the one that took your
reservation. I told you at the time of booking that there was a three day cancellation
policy. I also told you that we did not have a pool and our hot tub was being re-modeled
when you asked. You made the reservation.
You checked in and stayed about 30 minutes. The next morning you called me ,I tried to explain to you that I would check on giving you a refund.. You became very angry and would not listen to me. I did have to hang up to take care of other customers. You also told me you would come by and talk to me.
I did not see you, but you did see one of our employees that day at the Pueblo, where
he also works. You were very upset and loud with him also.
You never even gave me a chance to try and help you. I am sorry for that.
Judy
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed one night at the Sun God Lodge. We loved the decor in our room. Our room had a kitchenette in it. The beds were a little too soft for our taste but we slept well. The hotel is a little worn and could be a fabulous place with some updating. Keep in mind that if you want to check out early, there may not be anyone in the office until later in the morning. At least that was the case for us. We wanted to check out at 7AM to get a early start to our travelling day and had to wait a few hours until someone came in the office. It was not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

For the price and location I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised! The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was cozy. I do agree with other reviews that the room wasn't exactly clean, and it could use a fresh coat of paint. However, the bed was comfy, the pillows were soft and the room was quiet. For one person the room was perfect; it would also be perfect for a quiet couple's getaway on a budget. It's close to everything, Walmart is across the street and there are plenty of places nearby to eat/drink/grab a cup of coffee etc.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo