“Enjoyed our stay...impressed by owner!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Ski Packages!!!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taos
McKinney, Texas
“Enjoyed our stay...impressed by owner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Our family stayed here for one night as we were passing through on our way to Colorado. The room was very comfortable and more spacious than you would expect for the price. We were very happy with our accommodations.

The next morning as we were prepared to head to CO we discovered that our car had a flat tire. Of course, this happened on a Sunday morning when all the tire stores on Taos were closed. The owner saw that we were having a problem and came over to offer assistance. He lifted our car with a jack he had, removed our tire, and put the flat tire in the back of his truck. He then spent almost an hour volunteering his time to drive me around Taos trying to find a place where we could buy a replacement. When we struck out finding a place to buy a tire he then took me to a local friend of his that aired up the tire and then drove me to Auto Zone to buy some Fix-a-flat. That fixed the tire long enough that we could drive to another town that had a bigger Wal Mart where we could buy a replacement tire.

We so appreciate him helping us out when we were in such a bind. We'll be staying here the next time we are in town!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

While visiting Taos recently, I spent several nights at the Sun God Lodge. How pleasant! The property is an older one which has been meticulously restored by the current owners. The grounds were inviting and the rooms were appointed with new furniture. Nice!

In a market characterized by expensive rooms, the Sun God's pricing was refreshing, too. The owners were very friendly and helpful. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The rooms toward the rear of the complex arte air conditioned!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Loved loved loved this place! Peaceful, inexpensive, the courtyard was lovely. It's an older place with character. Beds were comfy, location was close enough to town. We had a short ride to the Plaza area and the Pueblo. The staff was very nice. We will be back!
Kelly Heitman
San Diego, CA

Stayed June 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went to the Red River rally on Memorial weekend.The rooms were cozy and the staff was extremely friendly.WHAT AN EXCELLENT TIME!!!The staff and the people there were very helpful.I just want to say Thank you.We were broke down on our motorcycle.They made us feel welcome and helped us to get our u-haul to get our bike home.Thanks again to Gasper,LeeAnthony and Michelle.Definately gonna stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

the hotel is in pueblo style and room was also decorated this way - clean and nice. helpful and welcoming staff at the reception who gave us quite lot of tips on what to see, where to eat, what to do...unfortunately taos pueblo was closed at the time we were there. good news is we have to get back once and get a chance to stay in sun god lodge again (for more than one night).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The room was absolutely filthy. Hit by a wall of musty mildew smell upon opening the door. We were warned repeatedly not to smoke in the room because management saw my partner smoking in the parking lot after an all afternoon car ride as I checked us in. We assured them he would not smoke inside, and never had, and after seeing the room I felt insulted. There was hair from someone's dog or something collecting in every corner, like a LOT of it, bugs in the bathroom, dusty floorboards, and cigarette holes in the comforter. Really. After an insulting lecture from management about how they assumed we were dirty people. A coffee maker and a few plastic cups but only one packet of instant coffee. We stayed for two days, and nothing was cleaned or refilled. It snowed and there was no discernable heat. We were told it 'takes time'.

Am legitimately upset I had to pay for the gross experience.

Won't be going back, and want to warn off any future sufferers.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

So sad this has been one of my favorite hotels over the last 20+ years but seems to have gone downhill. The office closed at 10pm and I didn't get into town until after 10, my key, credit card receipt, and a note about where to go were left in a mailbox which I found to be extremely rude and unprofessional. The heat in my room didn't work and it was FREEZING, the after hours # went to someone claiming to be management vacationing in another state who assured me someone would be out to fix it, but 2 nights and 2 days later no one ever came. Apparently the motel was recently remodeled and construction wasn't properly cleaned up, paint splatter on bathroom floors, edges, corners and baseboards were FILTHY with dust, hair, paint, cobwebs, and mildew. Upon checkout I was told that management had been told that someone fixed the heat (which wasn't true) and that management had told them to move me to another room (that never happened either). I was also told management would contact me with some sort of refund effort because of my experience (also never happened). Unfortunately I WON'T GO BACK!!!

Room Tip: Make sure the heat works
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun God Lodge? Share your experiences!