“A great older motel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Peralta, New Mexico
“A great older motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have stayed here several times and enjoy staying in the back near the outdoor hot tub. Even in winter it was a short walk back to my room. Being far from the busy highway with another building in between made it a very quiet and peaceful stay. Right across the road from Walmart makes it easy to grab any shopping items while you are there. Wifi signal was very strong and they may have added a second router to serve the back of the property. Service at the front desk was prompt, friendly and helpful. For the low price this is a very comfortable place to stay in Taos. Maintenance is falling behind in some areas and the potholes in the parking lot need to be filled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back near the hot tub. All rooms allow parking outside your door. No elevators...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
austin, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed at the Sun God Lodge in Taos for a night. It was perfect for us. It was clean and reasonably priced. We were going to arrive late in the night and they left a key for us--so easy. And we spent some time in the hot tub, which was lovely. The view of the mountains from our room was awesome, and the decor of the room was really nice. We'll stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back by the hot tub--it looked like that building was newer.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My second time staying at this property. I loved everything about it the first time. I would love everything about it this time ... except for ... the wifi is very intermittent (boo) and since it snowed last night, I got up and got ready to go to their outdoor Jacuzzi ... and found it is only open from 4 - 10 pm ... (another BOOOO!)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 137 directly across from the hottub/bbq area in the back of the property. NOtice t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Staying at the Sun God Lodge was a mixed bag of experiences but overall worked for what my group needed. I was skiing in the Taos area for the weekend and need a cost conscious and convient place to stay. I booked over the Internet the 2 bed and pull out kitchenette. Later that day, I received a call from the hotel letting me know they accidentally booked my room in person to someone else however they would give me 2 rooms with a kitchenette for the one room price. Good customer service always good. The rooms were clean and decorated with cute Taos quirk. We were dissapointed to find the kitchenette was limited to a sink, mini fridge, empty cabinets, and an incomplete set of flat and silverware since we were planning a spaghetti dinner and toasted bagels for breakfast. In my opinion a hotel that advertises kitchenettes should at least include a two burner stove,
toaster, and basic cookware.
The beds were a little firm but I still slept well. The room was extremely hot and the thermostat was not working. By the middle of the night it was so hot we slept with the door open.
Overall, the hotel worked great as a clean, safe, and cheap place to crash but I would not stay there for multiple days.
Bonus points to the lodge for great bath products and front desk service.

• Stayed January 2014
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Sun God Lodge is a great example of why we like owner-operated inns when we travel- this inn had so much more personality than a chain hotel, we felt very warmly welcomed by the owners and the space itself. We stayed in a room at the back of the property with a kitchenette and a sitting room. We were able to cook a simple dinner and breakfast there, and relax in the sitting room. We like ambient lighting, and found the dimmer switches that adjusted the lighting in the statuary niches added to a restful atmosphere. I also appreciated the TV in the bedroom being inside an armoir, and a separate lighted make up space from the bathroom. The price was very reasonable, and our hosts were fantastic. There was a frost covered field outside of our bedroom window, with a good view of the rose tinted mountains at sunrise.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the property, away from the highway, and was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at this quaint hotel in Taos. Lovely courtyard, the rooms are a good size, clean and with enough amenities. If you need a place to stay and don't want to spend a lot this is definitely the place. It is close to everything. I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sun God Lodge? Share your experiences!