“Sagebrush - Began horrible but finished good” 3 of 5 stars

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1508 Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Louisiana
“Sagebrush - Began horrible but finished good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Upon checkin at Sagebrush, we were given a room I described as the dungen. It was in the original building facing courtyard, small, dark, with a full size bed. Bathroom had toilet and tub. The sink was outside of bathroom. Had a fireplace and fridge. The room was quiet probably due to the adobe walls, but had no cell phone service in room. At our request, we moved to another room after one became available. This room was in one of the two story buildings towards the rear of the property. Room was much larger with a king bed. A big improvement. Staff at hotel were helpful. Complimentary breakfast was very good. All in all, a good stay once we moved to king room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed 2 nights at the Sagebrush while in Taos for a wedding and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and service at this historic inn. I honestly was somewhat concerned after reading some other reviews the night before my trip. However, after staying there, I have concluded that whomever wrote negatives reviews must have not yet adjusted to the slooooooow pace of Taos. Yes, they move at a different speed than others may, but once in town for a few hours you slow down too and enjoy the relaxed, unhurried pace of the town and this classic inn.

The architecture and building materials of the inn are a treat to look at. Large timbers brought in from the mountains during construction in the 1920s are the backbone of this overbuilt (by today's standards) inn. Mature hardwood trees grace a grassy courtyard - yes, grass and old trees rather than cement or asphalt.

Rooms were clean and quiet. Not modern, no. The sink was separate from the bathroom in my room, but the shower head was modern "rain" style and cool. There is a flat-screen TV hung on the wall, so you're good for local channels and HBO - but no CNN or Weather channel. I never once heard the Saturday night dance that is a local tradition at the old-style dance area of the inn's bar.

The breakfast is a wonderful addition to one's stay. It is included in the lodging fee and is cooked to order, large pot of coffee left on the table, and the breakfast room is charming and steeped in history. The outdoor pool was clean and enjoyable.

If one truly needs a sterile, utterly predictable experience of a chain motel, then go there. Otherwise kick back and enjoy the old-style class and charm of this lovely inn.

Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

After reading mixed reviews, we decided to stay at the Sagebrush. It is located outside downtown Taos, but it's only a short drive into town. The hotel and restaurant complex are an older facility but it was nicely maintained. Our room was clean and spacious and had a fireplace. The furnishings were interesting and attractive. Breakfast is included and is cooked to order and served by friendly staff. . We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant while we were there. We did discover Antonio's in town and suggest you check it out! And, of course, don't miss the Taos Pueblo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

As several people have said on this site, the Sagebrush Inn has a lot of southwestern atmosphere and charm, the rates are very reasonable in price $80 a night for 2 beds and breakfast) but it needs updating. I got a sliver on the peeling barrister! That will give you an idea. However, breakfast was great and included, the room had a kiva fireplace and a double bed plus a Murphy bed and an extra sink in the main bedroom. The internet computer was soooo slow but free. It is a little outside of the town of Taos but on the main highway and right across the street from the best municiple tourist bureau that I have ever used. Very helpful staff, free coffee, clean bathrooms and the Taos trolley ride leaves from there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Gallup, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Beware!! A foul wind blows through Taos, New Mexico! At the Sagebrush, you may face an incompetent, disingenuous staff and negligent management, from whom this review will undoubtedly draw comment. Allow me to elaborate.

I booked a room for my family at the Sagebrush Inn a month in advance of a state conference sponsored by a national organization that trains New Mexico educators. My team leader booked at a nearby hotel. When I asked him why, he said in his experience the quality of rooms at the Sagebrush did not match that of surrounding hotels. Foolishly, I came to my own conclusions on the basis of their websites.

When my family arrived at the Sagebrush after a full day of driving with our two-month-old infant, we found that our “deluxe suite” smelled of mildew and hadn’t been dusted in weeks. A smarm of flies covered the far wall , where a door opened onto a porch that faced a busy construction site. room listed as a $149/night value! My wife justifiably compared it to a grave. I immediately called the front desk, and they sent a maintenance worker with a roll of fly paper!

Once it was clear to us the Sagebrush did not plan to offer us alternate accommodations or purchase such accommodations for us from a local competitor, we began frantically searching for a room. We were five hours from home with a crying baby, and I was due to present in front of a hundred people the following day. Within minutes, I reach a sympathetic person at the Hampton Inn (same owners?) who suggested we could find a clean room at a third hotel. Within minutes of arriving at the Sagebrush, we checked out.

The next day came the big surprise! The Sagebrush had authorized our debit card, causing our balance to go negative when combined with the charges from the second hotel where they had forced us to seek refuge. When I confronted the staff at the Sagebrush, they arranged to meet me the following morning to discuss the issue.
When I arrived, the manager accepted no responsibility for any charges I incurred as a result of her inability to offer us an inhabitable room. She just pointed to a sign at the counter saying it was company policy to authorize a credit/debit card at time of check in and that this would show up on debit cards as a temporary charge. (Had it been there the day before?) This was her final word on the subject. As a result of their debit authorization, I stand to pay $125 in overdraft charges!
In summary, avoid the Sagebrush Inn in Taos.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
globeseeker007
1,076 helpful votes 1,076 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

When we checked in, the woman on the desk required our license plate number. This is the only place we have stayed that required it. Normally, I wouldn't mind but my wife had to park away from the door entrance because some creeps had a huge van parked in front taking up the spaces. This made me have to walk over to the parking area in order to get the damn license plate number. It's hard to argue with these pencil pushers because this is the only authority they will ever have in life. Most do not have the intelligence or drive to work up to a managerial position. I also asked about wifi and she said that it had been down for a couple of days and that their coumputers were also down. How many hotels put up with that? It's time to get a new wifi company. When we arrived at our room, we found that they had given us a "junior suite" at the same price as a regular room because they didn't have any more rooms available. The first thing we encountered when walking in the door was trash which wasn't taken out when the room was, or should have been, cleaned. Then we encountered flies and other bugs and where they came from, I have no idea. We spent some time killing them before we unpacked and, following this, kept killing them most of the evening. Some survived through the night but we got some more when morning came. The carpet in the room was dirty and the plaster by the bathtub and in areas of the bedroom was coming off.The whole place looked dark, dirty, and seedy. It looked liked a set of rooms that weren't used much except by the staff for quickies with each other. In the catalog, which is in each room, several types of breakfasts are listed which are available to the guests as that is included with the price of a room. The next morning, we were shown into a room next to the dining room where a buffet was set up. This consisted of unappetizing scrambled eggs, link sausage, and dried out french toast and potatoes. In the dining room, there was a bar with yoghurt and cereal. Along with coffee & juice, we had the yoghurt and cereal. The entire experience at this s***thole of a hotel was unpleasant and I would never stay here again.

Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

We stayed at the Sagebrush Inn while exploring the Taos Area (museums and galleries for me, whitewater rafting for my husband and 15-year old). The staff was so courteous and helpful, and while the decor was definitely dated, our room was clean and spacious. We'll definitely come back, maybe next time for some skiing! The location is not right downtown, but then again neither are the prices.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sagebrush Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!