“Clean and Efficient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Taos
San Francisco, California
“Clean and Efficient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were told to expect an "awful" property but we were pleasantly surprised. My friend and I shared a small suite - in the newer building and we stayed three nights and it was quiet and clean. We only had breakfast in the restaurant and it was fine. I would rate this property as better than average - the price is very reasonable - for a small increase, upgrade to a suite, but you won't be in the historic part of the property. I would rate this property as a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
We can't thank you enough for deciding to stay with us despite what you heard. As new management, we are diligently working to erase any negativity surrounding the Sagebrush Inn. In fact, we are in the beginning stages of a substantial remodel and I would love for you to come back in the future as we're only going to get much, much better. If you should find yourself returning to Taos, please contact me directly at mark.najera@prismhotels.com so I can personally take care of your reservations.

Mark Najera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

So, we just stayed here while in Taos last week. This place is in decline and it's pretty obvious. When you enter the property (it's huge) and drive around a bit, it becomes obvious that the upkeep is not great. We saw no maintenance workers on the property the entire time we were there. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this place closes soon. There also seem to be entire sections of rooms that are closed off and not being used any more.

Other cons:
1. The main pool was covered and closed. No explanation.
2. Rooms on 1st floor are NOT quiet. We could hear EVERY single foot step of the people above us walking around. It was so bad. The old adobe flooring really needs an update. It literally kept us up at night and woke us way too early. We are from NYC and pretty used to noise from neighbors, but hearing these footsteps above us was exceptionally loud and frustrating.
3. Room might not be ready when you check in. Check in is at 3pm. We checked in then, and were given our room key. We proceeded to our room but the door was open and the room was dirty. The woman cleaning the room was in the room next door and she saw us and was like, "Wait. They already gave you your key? OH my god. WHY didn't they tell me? It won't be ready for another 30 minutes at least..." We went back to main desk and let them know and asked if they had another room that might be ready for us. They said no, that they were completely booked so we just had to wait around...

PRO:
1. The complimentary breakfast was amazing. It's like a sit down restaurant- you can choose from eggs or pancakes and they bring it to you. Delish!

Room Tip: If you stay here, get a room on the 2nd floor to avoid noise of footsteps above you!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We welcome both good and bad comments as it only helps to improve our operation, which is what helps us to continue to be one of the best hotels in Taos! I have shared your comments with the staff and sincerely apologize for our shortcomings.

Best Regards,

Stansbury Park, Ut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I found the Sagebrush in to be an OK experience. If you are looking for a luxury stay this is not the place. We booked a fireplace room. I think we paid a little extra for it. Not really worth it. The hotel seemed a little run down and not overly clean.

The staff was very friendly, the food was very good, the friday night bar band was fun. The bed was comfy.

If you are a 5* traveler this hotel is not for you. If your a 3* traveler it should be fine. Would I stay there again. Yes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize if we didn't meet your expectations and do invite you to give us a second opportunity if your ever in Taos again. Please feel free to contact me at mark.najera@prismhotels.com so I may take care of your reservations personally.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We chose this place for a last minute 4th of July getaway since they accept dogs. The grounds are nice with tree lined courtyards and charming adobe style architecture with views of the mountains. The hotel is located on a major thoroughfare three miles south of the plaza- about a ten minute drive. Unfortunately, the rooms are run down and probably haven't been updated in 30 years. Chipped furniture, warn walls and soiled counter tops. The mattresses were completely unacceptable, the likes of which I haven't seen since attending summer camp. I could feel the springs against my back. The staff were generally surly and housekeeping leaves something to be desired. I had to ask for toilet paper, soap, and plastic cups since the room wasn't restocked. Just outside our room is a courtyard with a pool that was shuttered and covered with a torn plastic tarp and a sign indicated that it was "temporarily closed." The old historic part of the inn has a charming patio filled with old rusted furniture and filthy plastic chairs. When I asked about cleaning off a chair to sit on, the bartender handed me a filthy bar rag. Overall, I suspect that you can do much better at any of the chain hotels nearby. One positive- they do provide a cooked hot breakfast with the cost of the room. But that didn't come close to making this a good value.

Room Tip: There apparently is a new building on the property that also has a working pool. We didn't see i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I am certainly distressed that your stay was anything but pleasurable. I apologize for the dated appearance and condition. Please note that we are in the beginning stages of a remodel and look forward to bringing the Sagebrush Inn back to it's glory. I invite you to come back in the future and hope you'll give us a 2nd try to meet your expectations.

Aurora, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The only good feature was an excellent breakfast. The suite was threadbare and not too clean. This was an old Comfort Suites that needs a ton of work. Have the feeling the new ownership is in over their head.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We do understand that some of the property is dated and rest assured, the plans for our improvements are substantial. I welcome you back and I am confident you'll realize that the ownership is not over their head and the plans for the future of the Sagebrush Inn will prove just that. Please feel free to email me at mark.najera@prismhotels.com so I can personally book your next reservations.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I opted for the Sagebrush Inn as it seemed a little more pleasant than a generic chain motel without being terribly expensive. But, I found it a bit run-down and not really worth paying twice as much as one of several nearby chains.

The Sagebrush Inn has an appealing Southwest-style lobby and patio area that suggests it at some point had aspirations of being a nicer hotel. But, by the time we got to our room, it was clear the Inn is past its prime. We had a mini-suite, and while the room itself was attractive with adobe-esque walls and log beam ceilings, it had virtually no furniture - besides the bed and murphy bed, only two chairs and a small table in the whole large two-room suite. Literally nowhere for the three of us to sit in the living area without pulling the Murphy bed down. Closet space, but no luggage racks or other surfaces to put a suitcase on. The electric heater had fallen off the wall (not a big concern for us since it was summer), as had a picture above the Murphy bed. There was a mini-refrigerator, but it was oddly located inside a TV cabinet where it generated heat that couldn't dissipate; don't know if it was because of the location or just that it didn't work, but it was barely below room temp. The windows had no screens, preventing us from enjoying the cool New Mexico evening and requiring us to run the A/C all night just for ventilation. We don't care much about TV, but it was odd that all the channels were "snowy" since it was cable. The pool was "temporarily" closed for repairs (we could use the pool at the Sagebrush Suites next door), but the amount of accumulated rainwater and algae growth suggested it had been out of service for a long time.

The Sagebrush Inn serves a choice of several good hot breakfasts included in the room rate. The staff that I interacted with were pleasant and helpful. Most of the rooms are set back from the highway around a tree-filled courtyard. Our mini-suite had lots of space, two TVs, and a microwave. At half the price I'd have thought it a bargain, or it would be a good value at the price we paid if better kept.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at Sagebrush Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
I am disappointed to learn you didn't enjoy your stay. You'll be happy to know that a renovation is in the works and we look to start relatively soon. We hope you'll plan a visit in the future.

Mark N
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Good hotel & some clean. Nice sleep bed, two TV, two bed with one sofa bed for family, & mini kitchen. Very clean water & towel. But notice found flood close bed dust not clean. About bathroom some not lock left open. And not good free Wi-Fi internet seen not good connection get crazy hip speeds for laptop, tablet, & smartphone but my smartphone try to connect Wi-Fi stay connect but disconnect again because extra mobile service data cap worst. Wi-Fi found most AD pop-up show and too slow play game high pings because bad internet service not 'Free Wi-Fi High Speed' should called 'Free Wi-Fi AD Internet'.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Your review is greatly appreciated and so very encouraging to us all! Thank you so much for taking time to write to tripadvisor.com and we all hope that you will return one day soon.

Mark N

Been to Sagebrush Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!