“The only place to stay in Taos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taos
La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast
You added La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
114 Kit Carson Road, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Taos B&B and Inns
Woodland Park, Colorado
“The only place to stay in Taos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've stayed at La Dona Luz twice now, and couldn't imagine a trip to Taos staying anywhere else. I searched the local hotels and B&Bs and noplace had the authentic, historic charm of La Dona Luz. Couple that with the incredibly reasonable price and the convenient location across the street from the Plaza, and it becomes a no-brainer.

My first stay was solo, in the Sonrisa room. Bright, charming, with an extraordinary jumbo whirlpool tun and bathroom mural. My husband and daughter accompanied me on our second stay, in the Yellow Bird Deer Suite. LOVED that suite. Huge four-poster bed and an attached sitting room (where my 8-year-old was able to sleep on the twin-sized couch) that opened up to the patio. We loved the colors and the beautiful artwork everywhere.

We also enjoyed chatting with owner Paco, and on my first trip, Paco's father Carlos, who knows a lot of history about the Inn. We definitely plan to stay again on our next trip to Taos!

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Paco and his lovely family run this very unique B and B in Taos
Every room is different
Ours was a 2 room suite with a gorgeous terrace
It was so comfortable and was decorated with many lovely New Mexico artifacts

• Stayed October 2013
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Greeted by Paco who had been doing some renovation work, my first impression of the B&B was a combination of Taos history and 60’s counterculture all mixed into one rambling ensemble of guest rooms. This is not your typical overly polished inn but one that exudes a well-worn patina, certainly lived in and embellished with local art and artifacts.

I was allowed to select my room as the one I had chosen was under renovation. The Santiago Room felt like the large converted living room of a traditional Spanish hacienda, including a fireplace, throne and full size sofa (come to think of it, I never even sat on the throne). I found the room enchanting with its wood and vaulted plaster ceiling and windows that overlooked other adjacent roofs. Unfortunately for me, a very abbreviated stay meant little time to linger, Paco advised with recommendations for both places to walk and also restaurant options.

Breakfast which included some delicious coffee (ready earlier than the scheduled breakfast) was fairly basic as other reviewer suggested but considering the abundance of places to eat in town, I didn’t find this an issue, especially after a large dinner the night before. I grabbed some granola, fruit and coffee and headed to the lovely courtyard which was sunny and teaming with an exuberance of flowers. The colors were surreal and this was a perfect place to spend a relaxing morning.

Paco could not have been more helpful, upbeat, informative and passionate about the history of the B&B, his family’s local roots and the future changes he has planned. For the price I paid I would be more than happy to return again and see what additional improvements will be made. This B&B seems to encapsulate the zeitgeist and history of the town perfectly. Taos certainly isn’t everyday small town America and La Dona isn’t your everyday B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I chose La Dona Luz Inn because I was traveling with my dog, but without my husband, enroute to Albuquerque. I wanted to be in walking distance of restaurants and bars. It was a "stop-over", but after my evening and morning here, I wished I could have stayed. I met other guests at breakfast-it's the kind of place that people invite you to sit with them and visit. When I asked Paco, the owner, for a tour, I received not only a viewing of the lovingly decorated rooms and family treasures, but also a history of his family and the role they played in the history of Taos. Such pride of place and history are reflected in the distinctive rooms and the solicitude to guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sachse, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is absolutely wonderful! We have stayed here 3 times. The last time was when my husband and I were married AT La Dona Luz Inn. Paco was so accommodating and welcoming to our wedding party (which rented the place out). We decided to marry there because of our previous wonderful experience there. The place feels like home, is surrounded by beauty and Paco makes you feel like you are apart of the family. We never want to leave once we get there. We wish we could make the trip several times a year. It feels like home. We love La Dona Luz Inn, Paco and the Rainbow Room! I don't think any place on earth does it like they do. :)

Room Tip: The Rainbow room is the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
High Rolls Mountain Park, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had made our third visit to La Donna Luz this past May so forgive me for procrastinating. I LOVE the vintage charm and character of this Inn. We stayed in the La Madonna suite this time and now it is my favorite. I can't imagine a more interesting and comfortable place. Paco is a charming, helpful, and hard working host. I recommend La Donna Luz and will always stay there when coming to Taos.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've traveled the world, and stayed in 5 stars hotels, and some bug ridden disasters (in Egypt), and this is one of the most charming, filled with art, nicely accommodating, pancakes cooked to order places I've stayed. If you are a diva and controlling and rude, this is NOT the place for you...these are nice people.

Room Tip: Check out the website which gives examples of each of the rooms, and when you are there, take a peek...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!