“Great Experience; Would recommend to anybody!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
4 Nights for 3
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Taos
Austin, Texas
“Great Experience; Would recommend to anybody!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I got a pretty great deal on this hotel, for the amount I was paying I was honestly expecting some sort of bug-infested motel. Quite the contrary! Check in begins at 3, but we arrived at 11 am after having driven overnight from Central Texas; we asked the front desk if there was any way to check in early. They not only allowed this but they gave us a free room upgrade! I LOVED having a fireplace in our room - it was romantic and very practical, especially for a girl like me who's cold in anything below 70 degrees! The hotel was clean, the staff was over-friendly (we were walked to our room and given a walk-through - we even had to give our approval before the lady left). The hotel is so quiet, I honestly forgot other people were staying there! We did not go to the bar at the restaurant, because we were easily the youngest ones there by twenty years. The nightlife of Taos is seriously lacking, but I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel. I can't say enough how incredible the staff was. It was a fantastic stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The hotel is a historic inn, so if you are expecting a brand new state of the art hotel don't go. It was the perfect spot for my spouse & I! We stayed in Helen's House, very cute rooms, shown exactly what the picture looked like online! Was very clean & staff very helpful & friendly! Fireplace is a simple switch on/off. Room wasn't as small as I expected. Bed comfortable & big. Bathroom has shower with glass on one side, just need to put a small towel on the floor. Bar/Restaurant was very nice, food was excellent! Only complaint I have is the walls are very thin, we could hear everything the couple next to us was doing/saying! Other than that would def stay again!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Historic Taos Inn. Our room was directly behind the stage area where the live music is performed every night. The inn website warned us that our room might be a bit noisy, but we could only hear the bands when we were standing right next to the door.
The room was on the smallish side, as described on the website, but it was very comfortable, and the decor was lovely, not kitchy at all. The bath room was quite small, and a larger traveller may have found that difficult. I love that the hotel still uses actual keys for the doors!
We had dinner at the hotel twice during our stay and had cocktails at the bar several times. The service is a bit on the slow side (the bar was always packed), but it was pleasant and attentive. Both the food and drinks were tasty and reasonably priced, and we really enjoyed the live music. As far as location goes, I don't think you will find better. All the shops and restaurants are in easy walking distance.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I think the staff of this hotel is top noch. The bar attached Adobe Bar I had a problem with service staff but the hotel staff made it better. The bar shouldn't be avoided (unless you hate bad service) beacause they have live music every night and the ambience is warm and exactly what I wanted from Taos. Matter of fact, the Historic Taos Inn has the ambience that I wanted from Taos. The room I had for all three nights of my stay wasn't what I booked over the phone, I had to sleep on a pullout bed while my friend got a King. The location is perfect for walking throughout Taos, but don't think it's close to Taos Ski Valley. I made this mistake, thinking the mountain was close but I had to drive 30 minutes eachway. I'm glad I stayed in town though because of the better availability to food and drink. I would only stay closer to Taos Ski Valley if I was with a group and was going to drink and socialize "in house". My room didn't have a modern TV but some of the others did. Overall I was very happy with Historic Taos Inn and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Please realize when you book this hotel, you are not booking it for the luxury as some of these reviews are complaining about. This is a HISTORIC INN! Historic and the work inn should give you a cue on what to expect.

You are booking this property for the location, convienience, and the charming historic ambience. Hits all 5 stars on all of those points!
Here are a couple of things that made our trip extra special:

Jaime from Sales & Marketing was so kind to take great care of booking us in a room, giving us tid bits on spa-ing, and chatting about the ski conditions with me so we would know what to expect on the ski mountain. Thank you!

When we checked in the agent took the time to give us a brief tour and walk us right to our room. Great service!

Our room had an adobe style fire place- awesome! We couldn't get the fire to light the night before (just being ignorant on our parts). The engineer the next day gave us a quick tutorial on how to light these special fire place, brought us extra wood, and fire starters. Again, GREAT SERVICE!!!

Best breakfast in Taos by far. Go with the Chorrizo Burrito and you can not go wrong- reasonably priced!

Restaurant service by Felicia was superb! Margaritas and music that night in the lobby made our night!

My favorite part was when we were checking out and asked where to get a great breakfast buritto- they offered to roll up thier breakfast burittos for us so we could take them on the road. Which was kind.. because they usually only come as platters.

Thank you Historic Taos in for a wonderful experience. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Stayed one night in king room in courtyard area. Bed was hard a rock, 3 little pillows were flat as pancake. Fireplace wood did not light- tried 3 times - think wood was wet. Heater is in far corner on wall - did not heat area by bed. Would not stay here again - no value for the cost of room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

You can't beat the location of this hotel -- right in the middle of Taos. The hotel has a lot of charm and a great restaurant but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. Our room, despite having a "sitting" area, was so cramped that my husband and I could not unpack at the same time. The bathroom had been renovated but was also tiny and had no space to lay out toiletries. But the absolute worst part of the room were the linens. The pillows were stiff, the blankets almost nonexistent and the sheets were worn.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Taos Inn? Share your experiences!