“Delicious breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 108 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: French, Spanish, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Description: A favorite among locals and tourists alike, Gutiz serves creative Latin-French cuisine at affordable prices.
Fairfield, OH
“Delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We didn't have to wait for a table; there was only one local at the counter when we came in. However, service, while polite, was a bit more "relaxed" than we like. Even though more people did come in while we were eating, the restaurant was not full. Still, we had to wait for the check and for it to be picked back up. We are the type who want to have a nice meal in a reasonable amount of time, then be on our way to check out the sights, not waiting at the table for an unnecessary 15 minutes or so for our bill, then waiting again for our payment to be taken. Although I had read reviews for Taos service in general saying it could be "laid back" or even have an "attitude", we only encountered inattentive service a couple of times during our visit, and this was one. The food was excellent. My husband said his Eggs Benedict was the second best he'd had. I had the Scrambled Egg Tower, which wasn't as imposing as it sounds, but was delicious. It was actually a small stack of scrambled eggs, mushrooms, spinach, diced tomato and Manchego cheese, served with a side of seasoned potatoes and a mixed green salad. I didn't eat the salad, which looked good, simply because I didn't want to eat salad at breakfast. Later that morning, I realized that I should have ordered a croissant to go along with my meal. If in the area, we would definitely return for the food, but would appreciate service being more prompt.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Denver
“You have to go!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We loved this place. It's so rare that you find a breakfast place that serves truly unique twists on old favorites, but Gutiz will surprise you. I only wish we had been in Taos longer so we could have tried more on the menu. In fact, we went on a Sunday, and returned expectantly on Monday, only to find it closed...D'oh!

I had the Eggs Benedict which was great, but my wife's Spanish Tortilla which included pesto and tapenade, was amazing. The staff is very friendly, and once we made it clear that we needed coffee, and lots of it, they were on the spot with refills. I wouldn't go if you're in a hurry, but if it's nice out and you can sit outside, you won't mind a leisurely breakfast.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A must in Taos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The menu at Gutiz is so unique that there's really nothing similar in this area. It's great that they serve breakfast all day because it's a substantial portion and very satisfying. The place has a homey feel to it and the smiling, cheerful servers make it even more welcoming. Check out the day-old pastries; I claimed the last croissant and it still tasted fresh and delicious, very French in texture and flavor. And it came with some delicious jam and plenty of butter. The crepes and the scrambled egg tower were both big hits. I decided against the Gutiz potatoes that came with my meal; instead they served me a beautiful bowl of fresh fruit. Six different fruits ... and absolutely no melon, which made me very happy. For lunch, don't hesitate to try the paella. It's packed with shellfish and meat, over a yummy, moist rice. Also, I'd go back and order anything with melted cheese. So delicious.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Superior, CO
“Family-friendly (Special Needs) and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Based on a review I'd read we decided to breakfast here, and it was delicious. Spicy, but yummy. Best of all were the drinks we had, the Gutiz hot chocolate (absolutely not to be missed) and the desert pear lemonade -- holy cow were they delicious.

The restaurant is small and absolutely charming-looking, and the staff equally charming and helpful, friendly as all get-out. As vegetarians, we appreciated that they made accommodations so we could have veggie versions (like the Taoseno, which was probably a bit too spicy for us but now we know). The house salad which accompanied one of my children's eggs was perfect!

One of our children has significant Special Needs -- for one, he is unable to use utensils so is a v. messy eater. He also sometimes does make loud noises (he is unable to speak), esp if he's excited or frustrated, like waiting for food. But he didn't have to wait long and no one who **worked** there made us feel at all uncomfortable (a few of the other customers gave us dirty looks but that's not Gutiz' responsibility, and we've been living with this long enough to recognize that not everyone can be as kind and accepting as they should be).

Visited March 2013
Taos, NM
“Always Spot On!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great service, fresh, wholesome food. Lots of healthy choices and special not so healthy too. Love this place for Brunch!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere