“Eat where locals do” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 106 restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: French, Spanish, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: A favorite among locals and tourists alike, Gutiz serves creative Latin-French cuisine at affordable prices. Join us for breakfast and lunch 6 days a week. (Closed Mondays) Patio
“Eat where locals do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Food is well prepared and fresh! My face..steak sandwich. Open face skirt steak. Wonderful flavor, the garlic mayo is amazing! The bread, perfect balance of soft and crisp! Salads are great too! Have some iced tea with a splash of mint lemonade! WOW! Jennifer makes wonderful desserts too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Boulder, Colorado
“Bad, to worse, to awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I'll start this with I'm a restauranteur and chef. We went here for breakfast. Walking in we were the only customers in the restaurant. The waitress was attentive. We ordered eggs benedict and the scramble tower. 45 minutes later the food arrived, this officially makes for the slowest food in Taos. The waitress sits down at the bar in front of us and starts to eat like a ravenous animal that'd been starved. This was disturbing and highly inappropriate. As I look past her I can vaguely see into the back of house. I see a discombobulated wire shelving that has a mixture of dry goods, paper goods, chemicals, personal items and what looked like trash all intermixed. If this is the level of organization I can only imagine how much worse it gets the farther into the kitchen you get. They have a beautiful bar with great stools all to not be used due to display cases haphazardly scattered on the bar. On the back wall I notice a case that should've been used for the pastries taking up the bar space, but no. It's being used to display what looks like a childs crayon scribblings and personal crap. Now, getting back to the food. My eggs on the benedict were overcooked, the Hollandaise was absolutely flavorless and very watery. The ham was sliced so thin that it should've only been used for a sandwich. The ham was overcooked drastically and there was only one paper thin slice. The English muffin was pitiful. Again way too thin and way way overcooked. The consistency of the muffin could've been easily confused with a hockey puck. This hodge podge of a bad excuse called Eggs Benedict was all set on top of the "famous" potatoes. The potatoes were cold and undercooked. As for the scramble tower, if they were going for mediocre they nailed it spot on! Finishing up our meal we had the joy of yet another glorious experience here. What seemed to be the owner decided to have a very loud conversation with our waitress from the middle of the restaurant to behind the counter about the costs of her to go containers. Not only having to be forced to listen to how upset she was about something that isn't our business, her overly exaggerated theatrics really pounded home the inability for absolutely no level of professionalism. Way to go! This establishment managed to screw up every aspect of the dining experience, quite an accomplishment. In the end it is very sad as this restaurant has the potential to be great, you just need some serious consultation.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Excellent breakfast, great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were excited to see such an unusual fusion available while on vacation in Taos! The waitstaff were super friendly and the food was quite excellent.
For breakfast we had the paella and andouille sausage, which were so flavorful. I highly recommend the mint lemonade. I was wary at first, but it was refreshing and not an overpowering taste of mint/lemon. Overall, the food was most impressive. The server was friendly and gave advice on different locations in the area to check out. The atmosphere was cozy and warm.
A second trip is in the works as soon as we are back in the area!

• Visited November 2012
Denver, Colorado
“The Best Brunch-We Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just went to Gutiz this weekend-I found it on the website and convinced my family to get lunch here before we left town. The homemade mint lemonade was refreshing. I love my vegeterian tartine..the sauce and vegetables on my sandwich were delicious. My family also love their lunches. Since we are picky eaters, this is for sure one of the best brunches we've had. They also have friendly service. We will be back when we come back to Taos again in the future.

• Visited November 2012
Taos, New Mexico
“Loooove Gutiz!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I've tried almost everything on the menu and live it all! ...LOL.. Great food and service!.. My favorite spot for a Sunday brunch after a crazy Saturday night out... ;)