“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Phoenix, Arizona
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had planned to drive straight through Santa Rosa on our way back to Phoenix and stay somewhere in Albuquerque if we had to stop. But then my 2-year-old began throwing up about 20 miles before Santa Rosa, and we knew we had to stop. Unfortunately for our traveling party of 7, there was no room at the inn at ANY of the nicer hotels in Santa Rosa the night that we drove through, which was Saturday, July 5th.

Rodeway Inn was the only place in town not full, and I do mean completely "at capacity." The nicer hotels such as La Quinta and Holiday Inn Express literally had signs on the door that said "no vacancy." We drove around for quite a while before spotting Rodeway, and while the rooms were shabby and not exactly up to the cleanliness standards of most commercial establishments, I do have to give props to the hotel manager who we awakened at around 2am local time. He was obviously disturbed from sleep, but was still hospitable to us and even offered a discounted rate of $69 per room for the night. We booked two rooms with a total of 8 beds.

I was terrified of bedbugs so I looked everywhere CAREFULLY. It appeared that our two rooms were free of them, though I admit to scratching and twitching through the night because I felt certain I was being crawled on or bitten. In the morning however, there were no bite marks and I never did see a bug while in the room. The beds were actually comfortable, and the morning crowd outside was fairly quiet which allowed us to sleep in a little until about 10am local time.

The part of our stay that made me most uncomfortable was the bathrooms. They were both dirty with doors that did not close fully or latch at all. I didn't dare take a shower.

I say again with shrug....you get what you pay for. We were grateful to have any room at all to tend to our sick child, and I suppose it was a little benefit that the cost factor was low. I maintain though, that we would have been willing to pay twice what we did for more comfortable, cleaner conditions. It wasn't pure misery like some claim, but it wasn't "nice" either. I feel bad leaving a negative review, because the owner/manager really was a kind man who helped us in our moment of desperation. But if it were me reading this review, I'd want the honest truth, so there you have it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stopped here for the night during our 3 week cross country trip. I should have turned around immediately, but decided to stay positive. The motel is very outdated, and it seems like there may be a few permanent residents who stay there. The door of our room had to be "shoulder blocked" to open. The room is your average, low cost size, however is very dirty, and likely NOT cleaned after each room is checked out.

After leaving for dinner, and returning, I almost ran over a prostitute in the parking lot. A couple hours later, that same prostitute and her "client" must have gotten into an argument because we heard yelling. Looking outside to see what was going on, we saw a man, naked, standing in his open door way yelling at her to get back inside. We did not watch any further to see the outcome.

Around 1am, we were awoken by yes...BED BUGS. At first we saw 1, and captured it inside a cup for proof. Then upon looking further, we saw more, ranging from the larva state to full grown adults, to adults who just finished feeding. You can tell this by the way they look.

I went to the front desk asking for a refund and told them we were leaving. They neglected to give a refund, but did offer another room. So I decided to check it out. I could not find any bed bugs in that room, however I did find some old food under the bed, and then that same food was found smeared onto the sheets. I had enough. I went back to the front desk and told them about it and said we were out of here. While we were packing, one of the workers knocked on our door and gave me a receipt. They refunded our money, and we were out of there by 1:30am.

One of the locals told us next time in the area, stay EAST of the overpass, and not where we stayed, as that's an area known for prostitution.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sulphur Springs, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Pros: very good air conditioning. Microwave/fridge. 3 beds. 2 tvs. Nice pillows. Big room. 1 bed in front area and a second area with two beds. Decent service.

Cons: language barrier with the people who run it. The bathroom sink was in bedroom area. Very small bathrooms. Outdated. Its a motel ( not our preference). Stain on skirt of bed. Found a cigarette burn hole on bed sheet.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

If you are very tolerant of the absence of luxury and can overlook many things for an affordable price, it's not going to kill you to stay here, and it is superb compared to someplace like Haiti...but overall, this is not the best place to stay. This is a motel where all the rooms are on the ground level in a long row and each door exits directly into the parking lot. I reserved a non-smoking room and was initially given a smoking room. When I asked to change, I got a room that still smelled bad (but not like smoke). There were two bugs crawling on my bed. The refrigerator was unplugged when I got there, which was an inconvenience because I had a cooler full of food that had sat in the car all day and I was counting on getting it into a cold fridge. The carpet was stained. The curtains didn't completely shut and couldn't be adjusted without having a clothespin or something. I could stand on the sidewalk outside the window and see right into my room. The deadbolt of the door was not lined up with the slot that it was supposed to fit into, so I had to manhandle the door to shut it. The air conditioner was on high but did not cool the room, even arriving late at night with the outside temperature under 80 degrees. Bathroom fixtures were old and not very nice. Paint was a robin's egg blue color interspersed with various patches of yellow in random places. The pillows were lumpy. The room was so small it felt like there was hardly a place to walk. When you can pay $15 more to stay in a place that is clean and nice and normal, it seems like not the best trade-off.

Room Tip: Call ahead to ask them to plug in the refrigerator in your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The people we were traveling with picked this Motel.

Pros: Clean, affordable, nice family who runs it, good coffee and I asked for a blow dryer and they gave me one at the front desk and the bed was comfortable. Plus, there was a good restaurant right across the street, so we could walk.

Cons: The room was sprayed with massive amounts of Febreze. Not sure what smell they were trying to hide, but febreze is gross smelling. We had to keep the door open for about 30 minutes, but that still did not help. Then the hot water did not last that long and my husband had a cold shower the next morning.

All in all, we paid $49 a night and that was what we got. They did give a military discount.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
La Verkin, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Remember you get what you pay for. If you want a quick overnight place to stay, then this is the place. The price was right. The room, building, and grounds were run down. We had to shove the door closed with our shoulder to get it closed. The bathroom door did not shut or lock. The fridge was unplugged and by the time it was cold we had to check out the next day. The breakfast consisted of package oatmeal or mini-mini doughnuts.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kingman, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stay in hundreds(yes, hundreds!) of motel rooms every year and rarely do we second guess ourselves, but I'd advise everyone to think twice about staying at the Rodeway Inn in Santa Rosa. This is an older motor court style motel on Route 66. I know it was charming once upon a time, but the room we stayed in was not charming. Mis-matched frayed towels, see through thin sheets. Noisy in room heater-air conditioning unit - we used the heat and it was loud, can't speak for the AC. Barely a dribble coming out of the shower. I know old motels didn't have many outlets, but while trying to remodel they definitely should have added a few. On the plus side, fresh paint all around. Unfortunately, they painted over everything, original woodwork, counters, you name it, a shame. Scant breakfast, one table with four chairs. The upside to that was we shared the table with a nice couple who felt similarly about their room. Perhaps we should have checked out after seeing the room, but we were tired and figured we would give it a go. We still wish we had moved on.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!