“another bedbugger” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sun 'n Sand Motel

Sun 'n Sand Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Rosa
Sun 'n Sand Motel
Save Saved
You added Sun 'n Sand Motel to your Saves list
1120 Historic Route 66, Santa Rosa, NM 88435   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Amarillo, Texas
“another bedbugger”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Not having read the prior reviews, we fell victim to this bedbug motor court. I am a bit paranoid of these little critters already, and when I check in to ANY hotel, I check for bugs in and under the sheets, between the mattresses, etc. I did this upon check-in, and found nothing initially. Unfortunately, I didn't check well enough. My wife was in bed, but i was still up reading, when she spotted one in the sheet just inches from her face! We found several more during our rushed exodus from the room, all the while checking the luggage for hitch hikers. Fortunately, the desk attendant refunded our money once we presented a bedbug for his inspection. He claimed never to have seen one. Two individuals in the room next to us saw us leave, and asked why. We told them, and they left too. we saw them the next morning at a restaurant, and they did not have the same easy checkout that we did, and said they had to resort to threat of calling the police to get their money back.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at this dump in room 103 on 07-04-2012, checking out on 07-05-2012. By 5 PM the next day, my daughter and I were covered in bed bug bites (Photos taken). As this these were the only other beds in which we had slept in over a month, we know definitely that we were attacked at this establishment. To add insult to injury, when I called to notify the management the next day, the woman who spoke almost no English told me to call back in four days. On the fifth day, I called and was told to call the next morning. When I called the next morning, the phone rang and rang and rang (no answering machine). I immediately called back using my husband's cell phone. The same woman answered after the third ring. When I started speaking, she hung up on me. The bathroom was disgusting with dirt, mold and rust throughout. Sleeping in your car on the side of the highway would be preferable to staying here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We'd had a good stay at the La Mesa (and an OK stay at the La Loma), so we thought we'd try the Sun n' Sand this time. It looks like they've put some recent effort into upgrading the rooms - walls and bath were clean & functional. The neon sign is legendary. No pool, but Park Lake is only a few blocks away - and far better than any motel pool could be. No fridge in the room initially, but one was delivered (no charge) after check-in. And like any budget motel, ask for extra towels & toilet paper early, and no problems later. Enjoyed our stay.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We thought we would save a few dollars and stay at this motel. You get what you pay for if you stay here! The rooms need updating. The TV remote only worked for the volume, we ran out of toilet paper and no replacement under the sink. A huge gap under the door let in 3 huge crickets that freaked us out. The Air Conditioner didn't even feel like it was blowing cold air. The towels were stained with I don't even want to know with what. The microwave didn't work at first, we had to jiggle the cord in the back to get it started. No coffee machine in the rooms or hair dryer. Small black ants on the bathroom floor. We went to get coffee at the restaurant and even at 7am they still were not open and no signs stating when they would open. Yes, they had an ice bucket but no ice machine. I called to find out where the ice machine was located and couldn't understand a word she said, I asked to her repeat herself, she said the same thing then hung up on me. I figured I would go to the office to see about the ice. The little boy was friendly as he proceeded to get into a freezer for a bag of ice. I ended up getting a huge clump of ice in my bucket. The 75 year old male made was kind and the refrigerator did get cold. Very unprofessional, unclean and out of date. I will not recommend this place to anyone or ever go back to this establishment. I will be staying elsewhere when I go back to Santa Rosa.

Room Tip: Go to the Travel Lodge instead.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Keller, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We had breakfast there. The food was outstanding. We both ate omelets (different), and they were delicious. The price was very reasonable too. The people were friendly and seemed to know a lot of the customers. Service was good. The restaurant was clean (even the bathrooms). Great place to eat. If we're ever out that way again, we'll definitely stop and eat there. We didn't stay at the hotel. But, it looked nice from the outside.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

This motel for $40.00 furnished a comfortable king size bed, TV, microwave, small refrigerator and a clean bathroom. The non-smoking room did not smell bad. The outside appearance is dated but the room inside was maintained.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

It was the first place we saw as we drove into Santa Rosa - we couldn't miss it because of the huge neon sign. We ate at their diner. Nice enough food, reasonable service.
This is a no frills place but it felt safe. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. Fine for night on the way to somewhere.

Breakfast not included but good food served in the diner.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun 'n Sand Motel? Share your experiences!