“Stay away from the buffet” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ohkay Casino Resort

Ohkay Casino Resort
You added Ohkay Casino Resort to your Saves list
Ohkay Casino Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 68, 2 Miles North of Espanola, Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo), NM 87566   |
Roswell, New Mexico
“Stay away from the buffet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I would not call this a "resort", but it's a just oh-kay hotel, with a somewhat decent little casino if you are into slots, and not table games. Don't expect the latest slots, but rather some that you may not be familiar with, or have disappeared from other area casinos. Video poker machines are limited. The property is nothing fancy, but can serve as a stopover on the way from Santa Fe to Taos. A word of warning about the buffet- although prices are good, the food quality is awful. I've been to other area casino buffets, and enjoyed them. Not so for this one, which has about the worst quality buffet food I have tasted in years. The selection is minimal, and I passed up about half of the items that didn't look very fresh or appetizing. I would describe the buffet food as salty, old and greasy. The only thing I enjoyed was the coffee. One of the beef main course dishes looked like a dump bin for yesterdays vegetables, with wilted broccoli etc. I finally set the dish aside as I felt like someone had poured the salt shaker into it, at which point I noticed hair in the recipe.Service depends on the waitress. One waitress was almost running to take care of everyone, while 2 others stood by the coffee pot talking to each other. Another was trying her best, but with what appeared to be a cold should not have been working around food. Desert was a joke, consisting of tall slices of dried out looking cake with a paper thin layer of frosting. I passed up the cake, and settled on a piece of pie which was no better. It appeared to be a low quality generic supermarket fruit pie which had not yet warmed to room temperature after being refrigerated, or refrozen. Do your stomach a favor and stay away from this buffet.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Alexandria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The casino and its restaurant are average for a NM casino, although there are good weekend food specials. What one needs to watch are the police patrols in the area, which ticket people for strange violations: not parking squarely in a parking space, not dimming headlights quickly enough, stopping at a stop sign with the nose of the case a couple of feet in front of the stop sign. It is hard to say whether the place is worth it or not.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Creede, colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Price wise the whole stay was good. A cheap get-a-way without having to go too far away. The food at the buffets was good too with good pricing. The hotel needs some help; a deep cleaning, updating, and hall monitors or something to keep the fighting couples in their own rooms!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Yuck. First floor is non-smoking and my first floor room smelled like smoke. Fitness room has only three pieces of cardio equipment and two of the three are inoperable. Fitness room has spider webs on the ceiling that warrant cleaning. Property looks tired and in need of remodeling and cleaning. Property deserves less than one circle rating. Front desk staff was highlight of stay. They were nice and responsive.

Entry doors from the parking lots do not require a room key to enter. Anyone can gain access to the hotel corridors without having to go through the casino.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo) hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My better half and I won a night at the Ohkay! After a night's stay in the hotel and the casino (end of May 2012), I can easily say that it's more than OK.

The hotel is at the rear of the property so you need to walk through the casino from the check in desk. The room was the standard room. Nothing crazy fancy but nice and comfortable. We had 2 queen beds. Remember, you're in a casino and just like 'Vegas, the rooms are there for you to clean up, hang out, and if possible get a good night's sleep. The noise was slim to none.

Instead of venturing out to Espanola, NM, which was just minutes away for dinner, we stayed in the casino and enjoy their cafe/restaurant. Beware that it's not a 5-star steak place, but for a decent price, you get your steak, you sides, and your cakes (and we ate them too!). Pretty good, but even better for breakfast (more later).

After dinner we played and enjoyed the slots even though I don't tend to play slots and go to the tables. The casino tables were limited so if you're a true table player, get your seat at the table and try not to move. If you're a slot player, you're in heaven. Keep playing the Wizard of Oz with others that you know and don't know and you'll have fun.

That night one of our favorite local dance bands was playing and while we were playing slots we danced in our chairs. After a while on the slots and getting bored, we headed to the bar, which is located on the floor but away from the gambling.

The dance floor was large and kept people from bumping into each other. If you sign up for the rewards club, you get a big beer, but it's a basic draft - Bud or Bud Light. Also remember that you need to know what you want as the lady bartender was like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. Order your beer and sit down as finding a table can be a wait. If you go back, stand in line and have your order ready to go! It's a fun place, but definitely a local hang-out.

In the morning, we finished our stay and ate at the breakfast buffet, which is the same restaurant as our dinner. You'll find the standard faire: eggs, pancakes, french toast. There is a custom omelet maker where you can add your veges, ham and of course, good ol' green chile! If you're not a local (NM resident), you'll get a good taste of our flavors: red and green chile. The carne adovada was true and had a bit of heat, but nothing to burn your mouth.

Overall, the Ohkay was more than OK. It's a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and hang with the locals. It's a break from the fancy and large casino down the highway and offers a change of pace. We'll be back again, if not the rooms, but for the red chile!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Alamos, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My 86 year old mother and I attempted to eat at the restaurant at this facility. After paying and being seated, we became invisible. We could not get any service, I finally went to get beverages from the service area myself. The waitresses all ignored my gesturing so I approached one who said "give me a minute" and then proceeded to ignore us again. I then approached a second waitress who asked what we wanted, she pretended to take a verbal order, but 45 minutes later still nothing. All the while, every table around us received frequent attention. Finally I found a manager who refunded our money when I explained that after 90 minutes and no service we must go eat elsewhere.

The whole facility appeared to be worn & soiled and in a rundown state of disrepair. I am a local. I would recommend avoiding this facility at all costs. My mother is still distraught about her treatment 2 days later.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Espanola, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been here for a week now on business. The rooms are clean. The ceilings are extra high (which I love). The bed is extremely comfortable. Room is serviced daily without any issues. Each room has a fridge and microwave which is good. Breakfast buffet is around $5 and dinner buffet is around $10. They also have a great Mexican restaurant downstairs with very low prices and they cut everything fresh right in front of you. I'm giving it 4 stars because the rooms are not perfect. In other words, it's not like the place just got built yesterday... but it's in good shape and has an upscale feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
4.5 of 5 stars 260 reviews
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast

Been to Ohkay Casino Resort? Share your experiences!