“Quick Getaway...” 4 of 5 stars

Ohkay Casino Resort
Save Saved
You added Ohkay Casino Resort to your Saves list
Ohkay Casino Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 68, 2 Miles North of Espanola, Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo), NM 87566   |
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Quick Getaway...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My better half and I won a night at the Ohkay! After a night's stay in the hotel and the casino (end of May 2012), I can easily say that it's more than OK.

The hotel is at the rear of the property so you need to walk through the casino from the check in desk. The room was the standard room. Nothing crazy fancy but nice and comfortable. We had 2 queen beds. Remember, you're in a casino and just like 'Vegas, the rooms are there for you to clean up, hang out, and if possible get a good night's sleep. The noise was slim to none.

Instead of venturing out to Espanola, NM, which was just minutes away for dinner, we stayed in the casino and enjoy their cafe/restaurant. Beware that it's not a 5-star steak place, but for a decent price, you get your steak, you sides, and your cakes (and we ate them too!). Pretty good, but even better for breakfast (more later).

After dinner we played and enjoyed the slots even though I don't tend to play slots and go to the tables. The casino tables were limited so if you're a true table player, get your seat at the table and try not to move. If you're a slot player, you're in heaven. Keep playing the Wizard of Oz with others that you know and don't know and you'll have fun.

That night one of our favorite local dance bands was playing and while we were playing slots we danced in our chairs. After a while on the slots and getting bored, we headed to the bar, which is located on the floor but away from the gambling.

The dance floor was large and kept people from bumping into each other. If you sign up for the rewards club, you get a big beer, but it's a basic draft - Bud or Bud Light. Also remember that you need to know what you want as the lady bartender was like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. Order your beer and sit down as finding a table can be a wait. If you go back, stand in line and have your order ready to go! It's a fun place, but definitely a local hang-out.

In the morning, we finished our stay and ate at the breakfast buffet, which is the same restaurant as our dinner. You'll find the standard faire: eggs, pancakes, french toast. There is a custom omelet maker where you can add your veges, ham and of course, good ol' green chile! If you're not a local (NM resident), you'll get a good taste of our flavors: red and green chile. The carne adovada was true and had a bit of heat, but nothing to burn your mouth.

Overall, the Ohkay was more than OK. It's a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and hang with the locals. It's a break from the fancy and large casino down the highway and offers a change of pace. We'll be back again, if not the rooms, but for the red chile!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Alamos, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My 86 year old mother and I attempted to eat at the restaurant at this facility. After paying and being seated, we became invisible. We could not get any service, I finally went to get beverages from the service area myself. The waitresses all ignored my gesturing so I approached one who said "give me a minute" and then proceeded to ignore us again. I then approached a second waitress who asked what we wanted, she pretended to take a verbal order, but 45 minutes later still nothing. All the while, every table around us received frequent attention. Finally I found a manager who refunded our money when I explained that after 90 minutes and no service we must go eat elsewhere.

The whole facility appeared to be worn & soiled and in a rundown state of disrepair. I am a local. I would recommend avoiding this facility at all costs. My mother is still distraught about her treatment 2 days later.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo) hotels

Espanola, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been here for a week now on business. The rooms are clean. The ceilings are extra high (which I love). The bed is extremely comfortable. Room is serviced daily without any issues. Each room has a fridge and microwave which is good. Breakfast buffet is around $5 and dinner buffet is around $10. They also have a great Mexican restaurant downstairs with very low prices and they cut everything fresh right in front of you. I'm giving it 4 stars because the rooms are not perfect. In other words, it's not like the place just got built yesterday... but it's in good shape and has an upscale feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

If you really need a stop over, well then, the price is OK, plenty of smoke, breakfast is barely adequate, but then again, consider your options, never again, for me.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a room far away from the centre, smoke free rooms are a must.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Had reservations for two nights for a room with two queen beds(as advertised) The room had two full sized beds. Went back to the front desk to have this corrected, Got new room keys, went back to the hotel rooms and found two full sized beds again. Apparently in New Mexico size does not matter!! Beds were old and not very comfortable. Non- smoking is just a sign on the wall not an actuality. The rates were very good.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
ABQ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

The best part of this hotel is that you can get a 1 bedroom suite with fridge & microwave for less than $100. You can also enjoy a heated pool with your family and then visit the casino at night.Free wireless internet included with the room. But the hotel still leaves something to be desired.
Upon check-in the reception clerk was VERY nice and accomodating to my specific needs but when I called her in regards to signing onto the internet, although pleasant and appologizing, she wasn't very helpful due to lack of knowledge. Our room was very nice & clean, especially for the price. But as the day progressed the stench of cigarette smoke coming from the casino and the rest of the hotel was nauseating.
I liked the location, it was central to my work needs and being at the Northern end of town, I didn't have to go thru the city to get to my sites and avoided construction traffic going on in town. Parking was free and abundant. Check out was nice and easy. We visited the Puye Cliff Dwellings in the area which was really the highlight of the trip. As far as the restaurant goes the food was GREAT! Service was a bit slow so if you are in a hurry let them know and they WILL get you going in a timely fashion.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our suite smelled of a combination of cigarrette smoke, musty and a sewer leak. We aired out the room for a couple of hours but it did not help. The rooms are very dated. We could not get checked out the next morning fast enough.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Ohkay Casino Resort? Share your experiences!