“An African Dream” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Madikwe Game Reserve 2581, South Africa   |
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
“An African Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Tau Game Lodge is a truly special place to visit while in South Africa. Most amazing game views of the Big 5. Spectacular food no matter what time of the day. Wonderful and very informative Game Rangers that are passionate about what they do and always willing to go the extra mile for the true 5 star experience!! Congrats Murray and Thank You.

A definite place to visit for everyone!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Brummen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Recently we stayed three nights at Tau, where we had a marvellous time. What a stunning location! This lodge is looking out on a large waterhole and from our chalet we enjoyed the views of lots of animals approaching the waterhole.
Our room was comfortable except the hard mattresses of the beds; but that is a matter of taste. The food and drinks were okay. Once we saw that one of the waiters was shooing away the nice vervet monkeys from the outdoor terrace with a catapult. This was really shocking and didn't go down very well with us as we knew that one of the monkeys had a cute baby.
The game-drives with our ranger Doey Davids were great. She did her very best.
Another romantic place, not far from this lodge, is the Tlou Dam; watching lions here while the sun is slowly setting in the background is an unforgettable experience.
We would love to return to Tau!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

What an absolutely incredible place, from food, location, staff an the added bonus of seeing some incredible animals. The moment we arrived was breathtaking with views an location. To be greeted by such friendly people an be given the most amazing lemonade I had ever ever tasted. Was I dreaming..... No.... Would I ever want to leave? Probably not.... We then ordered the meal we wanted, choosing from a varied menu which appeared to cater for all needs. Food came, an WOW.... Presentation 1st class, an then the taste Amazing! After lunch heading out on drive with our two guides Kelly an Megan, such knowledgeable an friendly ladies. They couldn't have made our trip anymore perfect, they even provided us with a cider amongst other things deep in heart of reserve. In one afternoon seeing 4 out of the 5 pretty amazing, and that is purely down to both Kelly an Megan an they genuine love of there job. Thanks so much ladies, without a doubt I will be back.

• Stayed November 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We recently stayed at Tau in early October for 3 nights and had such an amazing time. I loved everything about the Lodge! From the moment you step through the door, you are treated unbelievably well. The service is unparalleled, food is delicious, and accommodations are lovely. The rooms and the lodge are situated right on a large watering hole to see all the animals while relaxing in your room or eating/drinking in the lodge. The beds are comfy and the outside shower is an added bonus. They offer two game drives a day and we were able to see so many animals. Doey, our guide, was phenomenal! She taught us something new on every drive, was so personable and friendly and has an amazing eye and ear for finding all types of things from birds to elephants to tortoises. We were able to see 4 of the big 5 almost daily along with so many other animals. The food was excellent- make sure to have the eland for dinner one night. Our last night at the lodge they held a bush dinner outside with grilled meats, salad, sides and glorious desserts. What a wonderful end to our experience at Tau. I cant say enough great things about the lodge. I would recommend it to everyone going to South Africa for a safari experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Selkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have recently stayed at Tau Lodge for 3 nights. Everything was excellent and first class. The food was fantastic especially the chocolate mousse! The accommodation is great and we loved the outdoor shower. The communal lounges are lovely to relax in and have some very good photos to look at. Our ranger Murray was great and we saw the big five whilst there. The best was saved for the last night when we saw a leopard. Thanks to Murray's driving abilities we were able to follow him deep into the bush and got some great photos. We would thoroughly recommend the lodge and we are booked in again next February which we are looking forward to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Regensburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

great guide, delicious food, perfect stay!
We enjoyed the stay a lot. We arrived late but we could still attend the evening safari, which was great. Unfortunately we just booked to nights but we definitely plan to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am a lady in my 70's and have travelled to many places over the years, decided to treat myself to a trip to Tau Game Lodge in Madikwe for my birthday.
I could not have made a better choice. I travelled alone,and was made to feel totally at ease from the time i passed through Tau gates until i left. I was greeted by happy, smiling staff who made me feel totally at home in my room overlooking the stunning watering hole. I could have happily stayed on my veranda for the whole 4 days i was there, watching a steady stream of animals come to drink, from elephants to zebra, and lots of beautiful birds.
The game drives were fantastic with breathtaking scenery, i got to see so many animals, too many to list them all. All the rangers were friendly and knowledgeable, were very kind and considerate, making sure i was comfortable at all times despite my advanced years.
The food was outstanding, i have eaten in many 5 star restaurants around Europe, the dining at Tau was easily comparable to all, I could not believe this kind of food possible way out in the African bush.
My actual birthday was made so special, and one i will never forget.
I simply cannot praise Tau Game Lodge enough, would recommend it to anyone planning to travel to South Africa.
I have paid more to stay at game lodges in the past, but have to say, my overall experience at TAU surpassed previous visits to South Africa. I hope to get back to South Africa, if i do, Tau will be my first choice. Many, many thanks to everyone involved in the fantastic professional operation.
View from my veranda.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tau Game Lodge? Share your experiences!