I can't believe I only booked 3 nights at Motswari. All of the prior reviews are not exaggerating at all. We arrived late (we didn't realize the drive was at 4pm, but we wouldn't have made it even if we'd known) around 6:30pm and were shown where everything was, they took our luggage to our room and given time to relax. You arrange when you'd like to go to dinner so you're not walking alone in the dark so that night we had them pick us up at 7:30pm so we could get a few pre-dinner drinks and soak in the atmosphere. This place is all-inclusive, and the house sauvignon blanc was the best South African wine I'd had on my 2 weeks trip to SA.
My fiance was very sick for about a day during our stay and missed out on 2 drives (I missed one to stay with him), but our fantastic guide made sure that he didn't miss out on walking up to rhinos. The drive we both missed was the one where they saw all big 5, but we saw plenty of elephants in Chobe so we don't feel like we missed out not seeing them during our stay at Motswari. We got to see hyenas eating a zebra, vultures eating a hippo and lions with a young buffalo they'd killed.
The food is AMAZING. Even foods I normally don't like I was eating because everything (seriously, every single thing) was so so so delicious. I suppose in retrospect it was good I was only there 3 nights so I didn't gain 20 pounds.
Since I left I've been dreaming of returning, and would happily stay at least 5 nights. Motswari is just fantastic, and all of the staff are wonderful. Everybody was so helpful, especially with my fiance being sick, and were constantly asking after him when he wasn't able to join me at a few meals.
I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but basically everything about this place is perfect. I could rave for days, weeks, months, years and not do it justice. I will definitely be looking to return to visit my friends at Motswari someday!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve