I'll note upfront that this was my first safari... But I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The team provided a first class experience all while being in the middle of the bush. I thought they did a nice job of creating a cohort of sorts for the 6 drives I was on over a period of 4 days / 3 nights. They kept a small group of 5 of us together with the same outstanding guide, Grant, and tracker, Petros. This made the experience more enjoyable as we got to know each other. The meals were excellent, accommodations excellent and we saw the big 5 multiple times. It seemed a good time of the year to go because we saw many young with their mothers (leopard, elephant, zebra, buffalo, etc.).
I flew into the Motswari airstrip from Johannesburg via Federal Air. I thought it was a great way to go, but you need to be ok with small planes. It was just the pilot and me by the time we dropped off others and made our way to the dirt airstrip at Motswari. Nonetheless, 90 minutes total vs a much longer drive - well worth it.
Suffice it to say - I highly recommend it and wouldn't hesitate to go there again if the opportunity arises.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.