In april I spent 3 nights at Motswari (this was my 3rd visit to Motswari), the first 3 nights of my short trip to South Africa, and the best 3 nights ! I've had the privilege to stay at many beautiful places in Southern Africa, but none is so dear to me as Motswari.
Everything is just perfect - the wildlife, the people, the food, the atmosphere. Its small details that set Motswari into "another category" than many other beautiful places I have visited. For example: lunch is annonced by a drum, and the food is brought out by the staff singing a traditional song. For dinner, everybody sits at one long table (different settings, might be on the river deck or in the boma or in the "living room"), and is hosted by 2-3 staff (management and or rangers), like a big group of friends having dinner together.
The main reason to visit is of course the wildlife, and for that the Timbavati is perfect. It might be a bit more "difficult" to find animals as in the Sabi Sand (which I also love), but if you do, also fewer vehicles wanting to come to the same sighting. The rangers and trackers at Motswari are great and know a lot.
Each of the 15 bungalows is a bit different, but all very comfortable and spacious, with a nice "african touch decoration", without being "kitsch". This time I stayed in Roan, which is right next to the small pool (which I really enjoyed), with a beautiful deck overlooking the river. Upon arrival to my bungalow on the first day, a Elefant was munching away at some bushes infront of my deck, just a couple of meters away,what a welcome.
Wonderful people at Motswari, many of them have been there for many years.
Overall, I love Motswari and hope to be back soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve