“Best week ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shindzela Tented Safari Camp

Save Saved
You added Shindzela Tented Safari Camp to your Saves list
Shindzela Tented Safari Camp
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Johnniesdale Farm, Kruger National Park 1380, South Africa   |
London, United Kingdom
“Best week ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

An absolutely amazing experience can only be brought together by a wonderful passionate group of people. Your joy, smiles and good vibes are contagious and I will be thinking back to them for a long time.
The peace & serenity of the camp were a perfect balance to the exciting & wild game drives: pouncing lions, elephants stampeding, lazy packs of wild dogs, puddle bathing hyenas, lurching leopards, the bandit baboons who robbed my tent, and the jolly troop of warthogs visiting camp at 13 sharp.
And ending the day with top notch meals, ending with mmmmm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
shindzela, Manager at Shindzela Tented Safari Camp, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear zanea

What a wonderful review! Thank you very much for all your kind words, I have past on your message to the camp also!

Take Care

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The camp is completely fenceless so there is a chance of sighting wild animals in camp. Our beds were slightly elevated and had mosquito nets that the wonderful staff will lay out nicely for us before we hit the sack.

The shower/toilet area is one of my favourite spots. You get to embrace showering in the wilderness. Don’t get me wrong, you are shielded but there is this space where the logs end which is exposed. This gives the toilet a very interesting feel and is all part of the safari experience. They provide miniature tubes of conditioning shampoo, shower gel and insect repellant. Love their insect repellant which came in the form of a moisturizer cos it smelt so nice unlike many other insect repellant.

All water and non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary which I thought was great.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Piao L

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovey review about Shindzela!

We hope to welcome you back in the future!
Kindest Regards
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is one of my favourite camps of all time, and just proves what I say to people - that if you don't have an endless budget or time, the Kruger area has it all.
Having said that, Shindzela is not within Kruger NP, but in the Timbavati area of Greater Kruger (which suited me, unless you have time to get to more remote areas of Kruger NP).
We flew on a direct flight from Cape Town (15deg celcius) into Hoedspruit (35deg celcius), were met very efficiently by our transfer driver, and had an amazing leopard sighting within 5min of passing through the Timbavati Reserve entrance!
We had to wait a short time before being escorted to our tent as a lonely male elephant was wandering through the camp doing some landscaping!
The tents are on raised platforms with a thatched roof structure above them. The inside is comfortable, and the bathroom/toilet is at the back of the tent somewhat exposed on the outside covered platform. We were there in Aug12 and experienced extreme differences in temperature - 30+ deg celcius during the day, dropping to 6deg celcius on some nights. For this reason alone, during the cooler months I recommend showering just once a day after lunch and splashing your face in the morning before your early game drive!
The camp has very little fencing, so wildlife come & go at will. Elephants & other animals visit the camp regularly and I loved lying in bed listening to the call of lions.
The staff were terrific, Monika & Pete are a great couple & very experienced, and Dave has endless knowledge of the bush. The pace of the game drives was very relaxed, and it was no problem to stay longer in one place if we had a great sighting. The vehicles were never crowded, and my favourite - were completely open (great for photography).
The food was great, drinks were reasonably priced and overall I think Shindzela is not only great value for money, but a terrific low-key bushcamp!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
shindzela, Manager at Shindzela Tented Safari Camp, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear TannieKaz

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about Shindzela!
We appriciate the great comments you have given us!

I have sent your review onto the camp as well!
Thank you, and we hope to Welcome you back at Shindzela again in the near future!

Take Care
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

this is somewhat primative camp in a very remote location in the bush veld. you sleep in these tent/ cabins. they have a bathroom attached to the back with a shower, toilet and sink. and they have hot and cold water. what more could you want? animals come into the camp day or night. it is a fantastic experience. dave, brian john and the gang are great guides and fun. we all eat at the same table. the cooks were fantastc too. very nice. they prepared vegetarian food for me.
we met many cool people there. the small size of the camp and the community table allows you to mix with people better which is great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear gnatking

We are so happy to hear that you had a great stay at Shindzela!
I have passed on your message to the guys!

Hope to see you all again!
Rochford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This camp was a real find and delight to stay at. This is close up Safari, don't expect to be pampered and covered in luxury (saying that accommodation is comfortable), but do expect to get very close nature in all its wild and beautiful African forms, in camp and out. You don't have to go on a drive here to find the animals, you are very much living in their domain. We had amazing experience of an Elephant outside our door earlier one morning.
Dave (the Owner) and his trackers have a wealth of experience and know exactly what the are doing. We spent 3 days at Shindzela that I will never forget, its endearing camp that grew and grew on us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
shindzela, Manager at Shindzela Tented Safari Camp, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Stephan h

Thank you so much for your kind words! I have passed on your message to the camp and Dave.
We do hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I joined tripadvisor because I was compelled to write a poor review about another lodge we stayed at in Peru, so I thought I should write about a positive experience we had to balance it out.

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in October of 2012, and had a great experience. It was our first safari and first time in Africa. We came to Shindzela bc our friends had spent part of their honeymoon there the year before and had a wonderful time.

The guides were different than the ones that our friends had, but we really liked ours as well. Peter, Monika, and Sam were all super friendly all of the time, and very knowledgeable. All questions were welcomed, no matter how basic.

It also seemed like a very authentic experience, as it was in a private game reserve that opened to Kruger. We hardly ever saw any other people or trucks during our drives. There were no 'guarantees' so you knew when you had a sighting that it was truly wild.

The support staff was great as well, and the food was actually quite good.

The only complaint that we had (mostly my wife haha) was that we wished the tent was more 'secure' from the outside. Twice we found large scorpions in our tent; once one was on the ceiling and another time my wife almost stepped on one. We thought it was because the tent zipper to the bathroom wasn't attached to the wood flooring.

We can't wait to come back and see a leopard to complete our Big 5.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
shindzela, Manager at Shindzela Tented Safari Camp, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Ben R

Thank you for your review! we really appriciate it -
I will pass your message regarding the staff and kitchen along to the camp.

Hope to see you and your wife at Shindzela again!
Regards
Port Moresby, National Capital, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Found this safari camp on the internet and everything sounded like what I was looking for.
The camp is not 5 star but that wasn't what I was looking for. This camp and the staff offer a low key truly African safari experience that is definitely "up close & personal".
On the day of arrival had to wait in the dining room for a wild bull elephant to move out of the camp so I could get to my tent. A great introduction to Shindzela!
This is a small camp so guest numbers are smaller which is another great attraction for me.
Game drives occur early in the morning and late afternoon/evening (night) and cover a diverse topography including fairly dense bush and more open grassland.
This was my second trip to Africa and safari experience. Shindzela fulfilled a couple of wishes on my "bucket list"....leopards, rhino and buffalo!
Couldn't have been happier with the game viewing and the experience and knowledge of the guidea and owner. The accommodation was great. Very comfortable and all the necessities including game outside the tent. Loved the food served up and the introductions done by local staff at all the meals. A definite must for me to return and experience a different time of year in this camp.

Room Tip: Pick the tents furtherest from the main building as you get to experience the game up close & ve...