This is one of my favourite camps of all time, and just proves what I say to people - that if you don't have an endless budget or time, the Kruger area has it all.
Having said that, Shindzela is not within Kruger NP, but in the Timbavati area of Greater Kruger (which suited me, unless you have time to get to more remote areas of Kruger NP).
We flew on a direct flight from Cape Town (15deg celcius) into Hoedspruit (35deg celcius), were met very efficiently by our transfer driver, and had an amazing leopard sighting within 5min of passing through the Timbavati Reserve entrance!
We had to wait a short time before being escorted to our tent as a lonely male elephant was wandering through the camp doing some landscaping!
The tents are on raised platforms with a thatched roof structure above them. The inside is comfortable, and the bathroom/toilet is at the back of the tent somewhat exposed on the outside covered platform. We were there in Aug12 and experienced extreme differences in temperature - 30+ deg celcius during the day, dropping to 6deg celcius on some nights. For this reason alone, during the cooler months I recommend showering just once a day after lunch and splashing your face in the morning before your early game drive!
The camp has very little fencing, so wildlife come & go at will. Elephants & other animals visit the camp regularly and I loved lying in bed listening to the call of lions.
The staff were terrific, Monika & Pete are a great couple & very experienced, and Dave has endless knowledge of the bush. The pace of the game drives was very relaxed, and it was no problem to stay longer in one place if we had a great sighting. The vehicles were never crowded, and my favourite - were completely open (great for photography).
The food was great, drinks were reasonably priced and overall I think Shindzela is not only great value for money, but a terrific low-key bushcamp!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shindzela is an authentic tented bush camp situated in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, greater Kruger National Park. The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests and is unfenced, making it very much part of the wilderness. Shindzela is not built by an award winning architect, nor is it furnished by an interior designer. What you will find though, is a comfy bed, freshly laundered linen, and décor from local crafters and artists. Shindzela is a comfortable/rustic tented bush camp, where you can relax, enjoy our warm hospitality and immerse yourself in the African wilderness. We love our informal, relaxed atmosphere. Each safari tent is built on wooden decks, and has their own en-suite shower/toilet and hand basin. The camp also has a swimming pool and overlooks our little watering hole, from where you can watch animals come down to drink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Shindzela Tented Safari Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Shindzela Tented Safari Camp South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve