“Best in Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Pine Springs Inn

You added BEST WESTERN Pine Springs Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Pine Springs Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Pine Springs Drive, Ruidoso Downs, NM 88346 (Formerly Ramada Limited Ruidoso)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ruidoso Downs
Baltimore
“Best in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Perfect Hide a Way! Located across the highway from the race track sounds like Main Street but wait, to get to the Hotel, you have to climb the mountain on a private drive. When you reach the Hotel, it is surrounded by forest. If you have a Street Rod, Collector Car, or Hot Bike and have the tendency to watch the parking lot all night, this is the place for you. Super secure. Huge single King room, I mean HUGE. If you have kids in the family, protected center grassy area with bridges and walkways with lots of tables and places for family to gather. Pool and Sauna back in the woods. Use your AAA card and super rates include breakfast. So Clean, rare to find one like this. This has to be the best value in town plus the nicest place to stay. I will be back and bring my friends on a rod run. Perfect.

Room Tip: With family, ask for inside room so the meeting grassy area is right outside
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

- I think there were bed bugs... I got some bites on my feet and found a dead bug in the comforter. Eww... the mattress was new enough but the box springs/carpet were nasty and stained and probably the source of the bugs.
- They lost one of our reservations; no big deal, but there was no apology whatsoever, only a "you have to come back to check in at 2" (we got there 1.5 hours early and were hoping to check in since my grandma wanted to rest)
- There was a microwave/coffee maker but they did not work. The problem may have been the outlet, but it's not like you can lug a huge microwave over to another outlet.
- Terrible internet connection, cannot stay connected for more than 30 seconds at a time.
- Our room smelled like foot, and we had to air it out by opening the windows, but then we got people loudly walking by.
- No workout room available, you have to go to the other BW in town.
- View of the parking lot, woopee
- Cute little park area outside, close to horse tracks (if that's your thing...)
- Free warm cookies

Overall not a scarring hotel experience, but none of us thought it was a pleasant one, either.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
tucson,az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very nice King size suite with a balcony overlooking the mountains.Shower was alittle hard to adjust water temperature but still a nice room . Right across the race track and back away from the road with a WalMart almost next door so a very convenient location. Parking if you come in late is not easy with no striping and people not knowing how to park.

Room Tip: King size with a balcony a the end
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Turtleguard
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I'm not a complainer- the TVs here are old, and the internet is very shaky- but these are minor issues. The big issue is management.

A close inspection of reviews will reveal that the management has problems. When it is missing towels, or failing to clean the room, it is not so dire- however I was charged twice for my room, and weeks later it has still not been corrected. The manager is often not in the office, and seems to come and go as she pleases.

The staff has admitted to me several times that the charge is a mistake, but the manager has yet to correct it. When I call, I am often told she is off-site, but no one seems to know if or when she will return. Charging a customer twice and not fixing the problem is akin to theft- so, while the location and the rooms are fine, if a bit dated, the errors and problems with management are serious. Maybe nothing will go wrong... but I don't recommend the risk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Driftwood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Arrived Dec 30 and was planning to stay for two nights but checked out a day early - not entirely the hotel's fault - mainly because a cold front came through, and it was COLD, and my young daughter begged to go back to Texas. Otherwise, she insisted she was going to stay inside all day - a dreary prospect for me - so we packed up and left early. Overall, it's a decent hotel, and I think that if you choose a week where it isn't packed, if you normally stay in motels when you travel and like them, or if you are a college student, it is fine. All of the college students I saw seemed to be having a good time and happy to be there.

First the plusses:
- Pictures and description on website are accurate, and the grassy courtyard area in middle of the motel buildings is nice. It is a nice layout overall. Also, they do allow dogs, which was my primary motivation for choosing it.
- Surrounding the motel is a large hill/small mountain that looks to be privately owned, but there is nothing there, so you feel like you are away from everything (except that to see it, you have to stand in the parking lot and also look at the back of the motel, which is ugly - it's not like being in a B&B with a view).
- If you have dogs, you can walk them off-leash back in the woods next to the parking lot on the land mentioned above. There are no "no tresspassing signs" right near the motel, and there are some nice paths and plenty of room for dogs to run back in the woods. I doubt this is allowed, but I got the tip from a fellow dog-owner, and it was a lifesaver for me and my dogs. You can enter the path by the dumpster or climb up over the parking lot railing.
- The rooms were large and clean. They seemed pretty standard, though, and no fluffy comfortors or nice decor. They are fine to crash in for a night or two, but you won't want to spend a lot of time indoors hanging out. I can see why the place was full of college kids.

The minuses:
- It was packed, mostly with college kids but also families.
- I never got the internet working (and had no trouble at other places)
- We could hear people walking by our door at night and above us. One of my dogs kept waking me up with a warning bark to let me know about this (and this didn't happen at any of the other hotels where we stayed on our trip).
- The shower was lukewarm - just enough not to freeze.
- The heaters were the old style where you get to guess where you should set the dial and then get up several times during the night to grope around in the dark to adjust.
- It was so crowded that I couldn't get a seat for breakfast.
- It is right across the street from Ruidoso Downs, which is lower on the hill, so as you drive in and out of the driveway, you get a "magnificent" view into the stadium. It sets a different tone than I was wanting. You can't see it from the hotel itself.
- I didn't like the Ruidoso Downs location. Not only is it farther away from the mountain and town, but it's not as pretty terrain. Next time I visit Ruidoso, I'll definitely stay closer to the mountain for the scenery and feel if nothing else.
- The pool is outdoors. Somehow I missed that on the website, and I was looking forward to taking my daughter swimming. It did look heated, but with the low winter temps, we weren't eager to strip into our swimsuits.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

This place gets great reviews, and we were pleased to be able to get a room for a couple days during the Christmas/New Years week. We had driven over from Dallas. The location is OK. It's completely at the wrong end of town if you're heading for Ski Apache, making it a 15 minute drive away. Big plus, its up the hillside a ways, back behind the trees. So very quiet, up among the pines.

We arrived just before noon, and our room wasn't ready. No problem, we went to eat lunch, came back an hour later. Still no room, and the nice lady at the front said they were short-handed on staff, could be a while. So, she gave us our room keys, and said once we were done for the day the room would surely be ready.

We arrive back around 5, and the room is clean and ready to go. No towels. None. Zero. We call the front desk, they said you bet we'll get you some, they never did. Instead, I went out prowling and after passing the second maid's cart, finally found three face towels. That was it!

The room also featured a firmer mattress than you'll find in many places. And a window unit HVAC, no temperature setting, just "warm" or "cold". These can always take a few tries to get set comfortably, but it was adequate.

The second day, it snowed and sleeted. The third morning, heading out bright and early, the temp was 16. The parking lot was a sheet of ice. And did I mention we were up the hillside a ways! And the road up and down is pretty steep. Thank goodness we have our 4WD vehicle with us on this trip.

And, the internet was VERY spotty, sometimes we could get a hookup, often not.

Other than those details, it was certainly an acceptable hotel for the price. Perhaps they were just short-handed on staff for the holidays, maybe they were sold out and just didn't have enough towels, I dunno. But it was OK.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed here on December 29, 2010 for one night as we were only passing through. We arrived 2 hrs. early and they would not allow us to check in even though there were very few cars in the lot. Headed on over to eat in Ruidoso and the snow flurries started falling around 2:30 PM. After having lunch, we drove back to the Inn (2 hrs. had elapsed) and were told the room was not ready yet (pet friendly rooms are few so we were in a pet friendly room and the clean up had just started). Once given the okay to unpack, I noticed the rug had not been vacuumed--took out our travel vac and did it myself so as not to have to wait another 30 min. for someone to come vacuum. One bed was okay but the other was lumpy and obviously, has not been rotated or turned over in years. By about 7 PM, the winds started howling outside although here, no snow had fallen as it had in Ruidoso about 3 miles away. It made it extremely difficult to walk the dogs in that wind but they got the "job" done. Also, there is an area on the grounds set aside for dog walking. They do not provide poop pick up bags therefore, there is dog waste all around (we always pick up after our dogs). So, by about 8 PM, the TV satellite/cable feed was lost and no TV. I'm sure the horrendous wind was to blame. The programming finally was back on by about 10 PM when we settled in to watch NEWS and weather prognostications. Over night, the winds died down and snow finally settled on the ground--it made for a beautiful wake up the following morning and our dogs loved romping in the snow. Breakfast was a bit skimpy--waffles which stuck to the iron and no non-stick spray around (breakfast lady came in later with a spray bottle of oil). The coffee was cold, stored in the push button decanter. Pastries were in sealed bags--not fresh. The hard boiled eggs were cold and made it hard to get the shell off. If it had not been that we were on our way to Carlsbad, we would have had to drive back to Ruidoso for breakfast. While packing our belongings to head out--I noticed something crawling on my comforter. It was a little red insect which looked like a tick. I took a tissue and squeezed it and immediately, human or canine blood spurted out--ewww!!! I think it was a bedbug!!! I would say, pay a little bit more at the other hotels/motels in that area. The Pine Springs Inn needs a major clean up and maybe a new property manager. The setting is breathtaking but when you're worried about these other things, then it is not so inviting in the long run.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Pine Springs Inn? Share your experiences!