“beautifull, personal and great sightings!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngala Private Game Reserve
andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp
You added andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, South Africa   |
Netherlands
“beautifull, personal and great sightings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We have had such a wonderfull time staying 4 nights at Ngala. The tents are beautifull and spacious, the beds are huge and very comfortable, and the feeling of being in the middle of the wildernis is great. We felt very very welcome and were pampered by all the staff members. We enjoyed the personal approach enormously. On our last night right after our game drive, the staff surprised us. Because off our anniversary, they filled our bath, they put lots of rose petals in our tent and lit lots of romantic candles. Also, they arranged for us to have a private dinner on our terrace. And then the scenery. When we sat at our terrace, we saw the impala's grazing around the tents. And from the lounge, you have a great view on the (dry) riverbed, with lots of animals walking by (elephants, girafs, impala, kudu, baboons, etc). Off course, we stayed here to see some wildlife. And we sure did!! We didn't expect to see so many animals, and from so close by as well! We hoped to see some of the big five, but we saw them all, on several occasions and so many more! We had a great tracker and ranger (Richard and J.P.). They explained a lot and took the time to enjoy the scenery and the sightings. We can also recommend the walking safari. We had a close encounter with a rhino, wow, what a rush! In short, an unforgetable experience!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We selected Ngala Tented Camp for a 2 night stay because it got the best reviews of the more moderately priced private game reserves. Considering the price we were very, very surprised by how excellent it was.

The tents/rooms were very luxurious, the food was excellent and the service was very personal. having only 12 guests in the camp made it very intimtae.

The game drives were outstanding - we were amazed by our ranger's ability to find anything we wanted (including leopards mating) although we ran out of time for him to find a leopard up a tree.

Two piecesof advice - the early morning drives can be bitterly cold so bring very warm clothing. Also bring earplugs - one night that we stayed there were strong winds and the tent post creaked and groaned all night.

Very highy recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

No place could be more perfect for that special trip than this camp.You will spot at least
20 different animals before you even arrive at camp. The accomodations are superb in
comfort and cleanliness. The food is prepared fresh and with a menu that reflects some African cuisine as well as continental. YOu will not be disappointed. This camp is managed by Presence who attends to every detail to make your stay enjoyable. ASk for Ranger Rob and Tracker Adam to view the bush and animals in their own unique way. Ngala is a very special place. I would return if given the slightest chance. Superior in every way!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stayed 3 nights in this beautifully tented camp and were spoiled from the first minute to the last. My sister and my husbund had their birthday in the camp and got a surprise with Champagne on our game drive, presents, special dancing by the whole staff, etc.
The tents are very luxurious, the little pool refreshing in the midday heat. The food was excellent and the service could not have been better. A truly 5*-bush-experience
The only critisism we have is that the tents are too close together - a bit more privacy would be appreciated.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

This review is long overdue, but I couldn't let this wonderful experience go without letting others know just how special this place truly is. I can't say enough for the staff, from Clare, the manager, to Kenny, our ranger, Adam, our tracker, Richard, our butler, and the chefs who cooked our fabulous meals. Everyone was top notch and all were sincerely interested in our welfare for the five days (and nights) we were there.

The game drives - we went on 10 - were special- each and every one. And we saw everything!!! The magnificent seven, the wild dogs that were on an impala kill, giraffe, civet, so many birds, a pride of 16 lions feeding on a cape buffalo, leopards that walked so near to our Land Rover that we could have reached out and touched them, sitting almost in the midst of a herd of some 50 elephants and things I can't even recall at this moment. Kenny and Adam were full of knowledge about the animals, of course, but also the birds, plants and trees. We were up and ready to go each morning at 0615 hrs. and were eagerly awaiting the evening drive at 1600 hrs each day after the afternoon tea. And if you are interested in astronomy, you won't believe how beautiful - and dark - the night sky is - study your star maps for the southern hemisphere before going. The drives were so exhilerating - we would have loved it even if we hadn't seen something truly special on each one.

The food is fantastic - though there is too much of it. Crunchies with your wake-up tea or coffee, snacks with tea or hot chocolate while out on the morning game drive, then a full breakfast when you return, lunch, tea, sundowners with munchies while on the evening game drive and finally, a huge dinner. We only ate lunch the first day and then opted out of lunch the balance of the time we were there. Full bar anytime you would like as well.

Our "tent" was so comfortable - king-sized bed with nice linens - and the tents were all well situated so that you felt almost alone out there. They all have air conditioning - which we needed most afternoons inspite of the season - and heat - which we needed almost every night we were there. The mornings were especially cold - we would have on Tees, sweat shirts, cotton jackets, hats, gloves and scarves to begin the morning. As the morning went on and the sun came up, we would begin to shed layers and by the time we returned to camp - around 0930 hrs. it was pretty warm. They provided hot water bottles and blankets for everyone which is a thoughtful touch.

Breakfast in the bush one morning was really special - champagne, too! On our first night we returned to a hot bubble bath, amarula, bruschetta awaiting us in out tent and then had a private dinner served on our veranda. This could spoil one! Everyone got special treatment in one way or another.

We highly recommend this fabulous place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I had booked Ngala Tented Camp as a total surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. He had no idea we were going until I gave him 18 questions on the morning of his birthday - the 18th December. For each correct answer he won a scrabble letter and then after all the questions had to spell out his surprise destination - "Kruger National Park." I was screaming - it took him nearly 20 mins! We nearly missed the plane.
We traveled from Melbourne so, clearly, it took us a while and - apart from a few hiccups with Federal Air in Jo'burg (idiots, but that's another story) we arrived at the stunning place that is Ngala Tented Camp.
From the second we were there we were treated like Kings. The staff (manager Claire, Butler David and Oscar the chef, amongst others) truly went "above and beyond." Nothing was too much trouble for anyone and everyone had a smile.
We had our wedding reception at "le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons"in Oxfordshire with Raymond Blanc so , obviously, food is high on our agenda. But we were blown away - the food is outstanding and the service the same. Outstanding in taste and also in size - clearly we need to loose weight now! But you will never be hungry or thirsty here. Almost before you have thought about it - there it is. And everything revolves around you and what you would like to do.
The rooms were beautiful ( and we are both designers! ) and the outside shower was sublime. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in - and we have visited some extraordinary hotels world -wide.
Then that leaves the animals and the Game Drives. This was our first, long-awaited, African Safari and we were left humbled. By an astounding amount of good fortune and superb knowledge from our Ranger Kenny ( who deserves huge praise to be shouted from the roof-tops ) we saw things that you don't even see on National Geographic! We became famous for our sightings and for even seeing the Magnificent Seven in ONE game drive. I mean - apart from Yul Brynner and his pals - I had never heard of the
magnificent seven! (It's actually buffalo, elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, cheetah and a pack of wild dogs.)
We saw wild dogs racing for impala all around us, saw the dogs chase the impala in to the mouth of a waiting leopard, the leopard got spooked as we heard the dogs turn their attack on to a hyena and then the injured hyena ran across us - within striking distance! We saw vultures take on hyena, wild dogs confronting hippos,a trio of cheetahs, sat right in the midst of a pride of 16 lions, encountered a herd of about 250 buffalo on a walk and had to smartly back off in single file and even had a leopard charge our Land Rover. Then there was the herd of 26 elephants and all the other bewilderingly amazing things. I haven't even mentioned the bird life and the sunrises and sunsets...
Then there are the things that take you by surprise, At the end of a glorious morning game drive we pull up - totally surprise - to a stunning setting with white table linen to the floor, cut glass, champagne and 2 waiters to serve us a 3 course bush breakfast - all cooked to order!
Or how about the time we arrived back to our "tent" to see it surrounded by what seemed like 1,000 candles for a private dinner." Please take a shower ", the note said "and enjoy the champagne and olives and we will be back in 20 minutes with your first course for this evenings dinner ".
Or the evening we arrived back to 2 huge brasiers of fire with our hot soup cooking in one of them and were entertained by the local choir singing.
As we said our goodbye's to Kenny and Claire and left, both my husband and I were fighting back the tears. I tried to make light of it - " This is ridiculous!" I said. "Who cries when leaving a hotel?" To which my husband replied "That wasn't a hotel - that was a home."
If you can afford the time and the cash then please, please I beg you - go to Ngala!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I could go on & on about how beautiful the "tents" are, how knowledgable the safari staff was, how much I enjoyed the bubble bath and the outdoor shower, the wine & snacks during the sundowners, how much I learned about animals, the great photos we took (though we are far from professional), the tasty lunches by the pool, etc but I think I'll just focus on one night......

We returned from our Safari one evening and headed back to our tent to grab a sweater for dinner. All meals are beautiful, but informal, so I never worried about what I would wear. When we got closer to our tent, I saw that the walkway leading up to the tent was lighted with candles and fresh flowers. Then, I saw Richard, our "butler" who told us that we would have a private dinner on our porch. I looked over at my husband to tell him thank you...for I assumed that he had planned this...but he was equally as surprised as I was about our impromptu dinner. It was honestly the most romantic dinner of my life. We were served all courses on our porch and I sat there in my comfy clothes and looked out over the bush. They even filled our bathtub with bubbles & flowers. I still cannot figure out why we received this special treatment, it wasn't our anniversary, honeymoon, etc. But I honestly felt like a celebrity. Thank you Ngala.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to andBeyond Ngala Tented Camp? Share your experiences!