“Outstanding stay with one glaring problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gomo Gomo Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Gomo Gomo Game Lodge
You added Gomo Gomo Game Lodge to your Saves list
Kruger National Park, South Africa   |
Austin, Texas
“Outstanding stay with one glaring problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights with my wife and 11 yo daughter. We had an absolutely great time and only one problem kept this review from being five stars. Our chalet had a problem with hot water, or lack thereof, and believe me, it was cold in the morning and the water was ice-cold! That said, the game drives were excellent. Riaan was our ranger and he did a wonderful job finding the animals. The only thing we missed was seeing a leopard. In one evening game drive, we saw a cheetah, lions, rhinos, elephants, cape buffalo, a giraffe, and hyenas. Of course, we also had one game drive where we hardly saw anything, but that's nature. The food was good, although it did get quite cold during dinner, which was served outside. I highly recommend Gomo Gomo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I share Travel Fan from Asia's below expectations thoughts. My husband and I stayed three nights at Gomo Gomo in mid-May. We had stayed at Blyde Canyon overnight and breakfasted surrounded by zebras. Upon entering the reserve, we were greeted by a giraffe and saw many impalas. We thought: Wow! This is going to be great! Well... not quite. We were pleasantly surprised at our arrival, the watering hole setting really sets this lodge apart. Our rooms were stand alone bungalows with two bedrooms, a nice ample bathroom and porch with a great view of the watering hole. Lunch was ostrich in a pastry shell. The staff was very nice. So far... so good. Our first game drive was after lunch. There are two drives a day. One early in the am, you return for breakfast around 9:30am. The second one is around 3:30pm and goes into the evening. You need to dress in layers. In the winter it gets cold early in the am as well as in the evening. On our first drive we lucked into a herd of water buffalo. That was exciting... but, that was pretty much it with some minor exceptions until we got Riaan as a ranger on our last three drives. We saw a lot more animals with him... but, unfortunately... no lions or leopards. We did have a herd of elephants come by the watering hole one afternoon. That was pretty amazing. But, that was just nature... no tactical planning. Now, going back to our first day. We returned from the drive to a cold lodge... we're all cold from the drive, and come back to a lodge with a broken fireplace and all the doors open. Nice draft for summer, not so nice in the winter time. Sure there's coffee and hot cocoa available... but, even though we mentioned it the first night... every single evening it was the same thing. Just felt very uninviting. Soon after our return from the drives is the Boma dinner. We all sit around a sand pit with a fire in the middle freezing our collective behinds. Dinners were extremely disappointing. Not to mention the fact that the food gets cold shortly after it gets to our plates. Heat lamps are very much in order here. Not to mention a chef. We got a cook who fancied himself a comedian. One evening chicken was announced. Chicken consisted of one chicken wing. The bread was always the same served at breakfast. No change. There are no choices during meals. We're not really picky eaters... but felt the food was overall subpar. One review mentioned "measured" for breakfast and lunch. Nicely put. I had to remind myself on a daily basis we were not there for the food... We left after three days thinking that was plenty. Departures are after the am game drive and breakfast, so we had plenty of time to visit Kruger's Orpen Gate on our own. We saw cheetahs, a leopard crossing the street, giraffes, elephants, ostriches, and on and on... all on our own. In one afternoon. From the car. But for the fun of being in a huge open jeep in the wild, I would say this lodge experience left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the watering hole (1, 2., 3)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Henriette S, Manager at Gomo Gomo Game Lodge, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Feeling Cheated

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are very disappointed to hear that Gomo Gomo did not live up to your expectations!

We constantly do everything in our power to ensure that guest have a memorable stay and leave satisfied.

We advise all guest and tour operators that if on game drive you have to dress warmly for game drives in the winter months as it gets cold, there is also blankets provided for drives. As every traveler to a game lodge know you can never promise to see any animals but our Rangers and Trackers goes out of their way to ensure drives with sightings.

To go back to the first day our fire place had a smoking problem, that was sorted the same day and we had to wait for the silicon to dry before starting a fire and smoking all the guests out. Dinners are normally around the boma fire, but we do keep in consideration that guests can get cold and we constantly ask if they would like to eat indoors, but the normal reply..."No we are in Africa now"
Shadrack our Cheff has earned his place at the lodge with qualifications and humor and most guests loves and enjoys his humor.
While at the lodge and on departure we ask guest what can we change and how can we better ourselves, there is also a feedback form that can be filled in and to be honest for the month of May 2013 with over 300 guest staying at the lodge no other complaints on our food, game viewing, or hospitality was noted.
We are all disappointed in this review as we all from reservations to your last greet at the lodge strive to meet all our guests requests and attend to all needs if we know about them
We hope to welcome you back to prove to you Gomo Gomo Game Lodge is your home away from home and worth every moment
Kind regards
Henriette Scott
Marketing and Reservations
Bodrum
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have just returned from my first trip to South Africa and the Kruger National Park. I stayed at Gomo Gomo for 2 nights and found it excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food and service very good. It was a very homely place to stay.

Our ranger and tracker for the two days clearly loved their jobs. Their enthusiasium was clear to see. We had some fabulous sightings and so close! I spent my birthday here and dearly wanted to see lions - our ranger and tracker pulled out all the stops to track them down for me and we saw them not once, but twice on my Day. Thank you Gomo Gomo for making my dream come true.

I would certainly recommend this Lodge, the pictures are true to the reality and the watering hole is a great place to relax and watch animals come and go. We had a resident croc whilst we were there who could be seen sunning himself most of the day on the opposite bank. I felt the Lodge was very "homely" and I felt so much at ease.

No-one dresses for dinner - in fact your safari attire is quite the norm! The rangers mix with the clients after the safari also, which is really nice.

My only disappointment was i was allocated my accommodation at the end of the lodge which unfortunately did not have a view of the watering hole. So if you want to see the watering hole from your accommodation, make sure you request it when booking.

There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but the Lodge provides these throughout the day, just go and help yourself whenever you need.

Highly recommended Lodge.

Room Tip: if you want to view the watering hole from your accommodation, ask for a room with the view when boo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After reading through other reviews and recommendations by the agent, I am sad to say that we did not have a very good experience.
The lodge itself is beautiful and I love the waterfront setting. We spent 2 nights here in late April but was unfortunate to not see any animals (apart from crocs) at the water hole. The chalet is comfortable with a nice view of the water. Food is ok, not fantastic but that usually don't bother us much. Staff were generally very friendly. However what was disappointing were the game drives. We do understand that animal sightings are not guaranteed so it was also partly our luck that we did not see a lot of animals in our 4 drives. However from our experience at Idube and from talking to fellow travellers at the 2 lodges, I believe the chance of animal viewing is higher at Sabi Sands due largely to the ranger network there where they can quickly radio each other for animal sightings. We were also unfortunate in getting a very young and inexperienced ranger (just 2 weeks in the job and on his 2nd drive) who was not allowed to go offroad and had to drive at a "leisurely" pace. We really wished that they could rotate such "newbies" so that one group doesn't get stuck with the same inexperienced ranger throughout their stay. By the time we realised this, it was a bit late to raise anything. Maybe it was just our luck but I can't help feeling that some of these other factors count too!

Room Tip: Get a waterfront chalet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Henriette S, Manager at Gomo Gomo Game Lodge, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Feedback form a guest on Bernard the ranger in question... Well done Bernard we are proud of you
We recently left Gomo Gomo after a three night visit. I want to comment about our ranger, Bernard. This young man had to deal with extremely unusual circumstances, as I had just found out about the passing of my mother the previous day. He dealt with this situation with such grace, going above and beyond to make sure I was able to Skype in for her funeral; and he was able to make me laugh (UFO ...sightings, Degobah and Yoda), learn (all about the animals and stars and constellations), and enjoy the beauty of what was around me (our special encounters with the lions/cubs and elephants). This young man is mature beyond his years, and has found his calling in life. He is so at ease with others, and has such compassion for the animals. Gomo Gomo game lodge is truly blessed to have such a man working for them. I will never forget my time at Gomo Gomo. Thank you Bernard.
Kfar-Saba, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed 3 nights in Gomo Gomo. It was an outstanding experience. From the moment the great you upon your arrival till the moment they escort you before you leave, you feel that you are treated like a guest of honor.
The lodge is simply beautiful, it is located near a water hole and so upon arrival, a herd of elephant came to drink water. This was the best welcoming we could have hoped for. Very short after that, we had lunch and started our first game drive.
Rian was our ranger and he was very professional and a nice person. Thinking about what these rangers know makes you highly appreciate them. Rian has an amazing control over the car (and you need this knowledge ) to enable us spotting the animals, he knows every animal, bird, flower, plants, tree, behaviors of the animals, etc.... He took an excellent care if us and made out stay to be a lovely one,
I would comment about the meals. Both the morning and lunch were "measured"... They were not generous, especially lunch was a bit too small. Dinners outside around the fire were enjoyable and fun. I do recommend to enlarge a bit the selection and the quantities of the breakfast and lunch. Also, adding free water all day long could be important.

After being in this private game reserve, we did a one day guided tour in Imfolozi/Hluhluwe, there the cars cannot get truly near the animals. This made us understand the value of the private game reserve in Gomo Gomo.
All in all, great great experience in an outstanding place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had only had time to put down our bags in our room and a very large herd of elephants came down to the waterhole in front of the camp and had their afternoon drink and a bit of playful fun. Good way to start the family holiday!
This is a very family friendly camp in the Timbavati, which is renowned for good wildlife sightings. The camp and its layout is one of the big pluses of G2. The rooms are roomy for a family of 4, the water in front of the camp makes for leisurely afternoons (between the game drives) reading and keeping an eye out for the neighbourly game. There is a refreshing swimming pool and I thought the food was imaginative and good under the circumstances. Evening meals are taken in the open "boma" around a big fire. We thoroughly enjoyed the morning and evening drives and the stops for drinks as the sun set in its unique African way.
Although not under the camp's control, we were slightly disappointed with the quantity of game on the drives. Also thought the service was a bit "casual" at times, exemplified by not having a tracker on the jeep for most of the drives, something I have never experienced on any other of the many game drives I have been fortunate enough to enjoy.
This place will interest first time travelers to South African parks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brixham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent 3 nights here last week as part of a 3 week trip in South Africa/ Zambia and it was the highlight of the trip. We hadnt been in the lodge for more than 20 minutes after our transfer from the airport when a herd of elephants arrived at the water hole to drink.....the experience just took off from that point and never waned for one moment.We encountered 4 of the big 5 on the first game drive with Johan. The leopard proved elusive until the evening drive of the second day.We had a visit of a hippo and her calf to the water hole just after dinner that evening.Over the 6 game drives we saw elephants, lions, giraffe, zebra, buffalo( a large herd), rhino, wild dogs, leopard, hippo, impala ,kudu,, waterbuck, warthog,crocodile, honey badgers, lots of birds and a chameleon. We had a great bunch of people on the drives ( you keep as a group with the ranger and tracker) particularly the Dutch guys :) Getting up at 5am is always hard but once in the back of the landrover with the early morning sun warming you up tiredness is soon forgotten. You stop for coffee and a snack after an hour or so, or not at all, as one morning we were chasing across one side of the reserve to the other to see a large herd of buffalo. All the rangers from all the lodges in the reserve are in radio contact and they update each other with tracking info and sightings . On the evening drive you stop for a " sundowner" which is very welcome. Breakfast lunch and dinner are all very nice and the menu is never the same. Doing the " bushwalk" with HJ was very informative and "interactive" and you learn some interesting bush skills:). Thanks everyone for a fantastic time

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gomo Gomo Game Lodge? Share your experiences!