“A fun and educational experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Africa on Foot Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Africa on Foot Camp
You added Africa on Foot Camp to your Saves list
| Ross Farm, Kruger National Park, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Free Road Transfers
Certificate of Excellence 2014
rhode island
“A fun and educational experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a great time going on a family trip to this safari camp. All of the staff members were extremely knowledgeable and accommodating (doing game drives instead of walks if people were tired, doing extra walks if people missed one etc.) They all knew so much about the animals and provided a wealth of information about plant life, animals large and small, and life in the bush. Our guide Matt kept us entertained and really knew his stuff! Overall a great lodge and great experience. We will highly recommend this to our family and friends!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Barrington, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I would absolutely recommend Africa on Foot. Our guide Matt was very knowledgeable and it was very enjoyable being able to get a good, long walk in every morning while seeing zebras, impalas, hogs... And then seeing the big game on our afternoon/evening jeep trips was amazing! The camp is charming, clean and comfortable while small enough that you get to know the other guests from all over the world. The guides make it very friendly and enjoyable. The food is delicious and the wine excellent! What more could you ask for!

Room Tip: Since we were on a safari I wasn't looking for A/C or a tv in my bedroom. The rooms were really...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I would highly recommend a stay at this camp. The game viewing was top notch, the staff were very friendly and professional and the accommodation was great too. What a treat to have the choice of a walk or a game drive. Thank you to the team and hope to see you again sometime soon.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I did a four day visit to Africa on Foot after an extended stay in Cape Town. The trip to the camp was the absolute highlight of the trip. The camp is well run, the food is great and nicely presented. More importantly, the guides were the best. I learned so much about the plant and animal life. The evening drives to see game were magical. I have traveled a lot but this is one of the best travel experiences that I have had. It is a great value and a great experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our first trip to Africa and our stay here was preceded by 3 weeks in safari bus travelling around Botswana and Z imbabwe. We enjoy walking and chose the 5-day option as a welcome change from feeling cramped in a tourist bus. The camp itself was much better than I expected – small, comfortable (we welcomed the hot water bottle in bed when we returned from night drives), good food.
But the experiences topped everything else! The most memorable sighting was of the Ross pride, minus the adult males and the lioness with cub, eating and fighting over a dead impala. Only the bones, sinews and horns were visible, with 4 lions joined together by the carcass, growling and occasionally erupting into fight, perilously close to us. One lioness sat aloof, chest and front legs pink with blood. The lioness with cub was sighted nearby and not pleased to see the vehicles (two other groups joined us). Roel decided to leave her in peace.
We had seen most of the animals already in Botswana but never as close as here. Sitting in an open vehicle midst a herd of buffalo or elephant is marvellous.
We learned so much from Enoch and Roel. For example, I didn't know that ticks on impala are attracted to the warmer black areas which impala can reach with their comb-like teeth. I was also interested to learn that giraffes shed the skin on their tongues every 4 days or so, thus getting rid of the thorns embedded while feeding.
Special thanks to Enoch who helped me find birds. I hope to walk with him again some day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I loved my stay at Africa on foot and found that even though I was travelling alone the rangers were friendly and helpful and I did not feel alone at all. They understood what I was there to do and tried to accommodate that within the walks and drives. I will be going back again!

• Stayed February 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'd like to thank everyone at Africa on Foot for the great time we've spent there. I booked four nights for my partner and I over New Year's Eve. We wanted to experience a bush camp with a minimum of comfort but we also wanted a small place with only few guests. We were not disappointed: Africa on Foot caters for only a dozen of people at a time, which gives you a certain sense of privacy and exclusivity. The camp is not basic but it is quite simple: the bungalows are small and tidy and the beds are very comfortable. There were three cute frogs in our bungalow during our stay. Please don't expect any anemities or TV in the room, this is a place with no electricity most of the time and it can get quite hot at night.

There is no fence around the camp and animals walk around at night - you can hear hyenas "discussing" with each other late at night, and we were even greeted by one one morning (but she kept her distance, though). We have been told that an elephant even came to drink from the swimming pool one hot day! A true bush experience.

Usually one gets up at around 5am for a quick cup of coffee and then we set off for the first safari in the morning which is a walking safari. It is an interesting experience, because you concentrate on all the small things you might not see when you are seated in a car: spiders, traces, insects, etc. The walking safari only takes place when the weather conditions are ideal - you need to be able to hear and small what's out there - otherwise it is being replaced by a safari by car. After the walking safari we gathered for breakfast, then read and rested a few hours, and after lunch you set off for the second safari. Upon return you can enjoy a drink at very reasonable prices and then dinner. The food was always delicious.

We were extremely blessed to have seen fantastic game during those four days; we saw a herd of buffalos, a cheetah eating an impala, lions, elephants, rhinos, even a leopard. And on the 31st of December the staff set up a table with homemade snacks and drinks in the middle of the bush to celebrate the end of the year - it was unforgettable. One has to know however that seeing animals is not guaranteed every day - one day after some rain, we saw nothing during a two-hours drive.

We also felt safe at any given time. Ryan, who was our ranger during our stay, is very knowledgeable and fun to be around with but he always made clear that the animals are wild and that no risks have to be taken. I think families and people who want to do such a safari but are a little scarred are in right hands with Ryan!

All in all: an excellent experience

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Africa on Foot Camp? Share your experiences!