We've never been waited on quite like this. Shannae (I know I'm not spelling that right!) and Mark were not only fabulous guides, but also took care of all of our needs- room issues, drinks, food, organizing doing stuff off the property- EVERYTHING.
The rooms were very comfortable and cleaned well every day. They are more lodge rather than hotel, so a few bugs, geckos and such were expected, and not a problem for us. The staff did all they could to get pesky ants out of the room when the showed up- which was related to the weather, not cleanliness.
We bought the all inclusive package that included a daily Big 5 game drive at the nearby lodge and lunch (as well as other meals). This was a great deal for all we got. The drives we great every day- we saw all the big animals both at the other lodge and at Hongonyi.
The only thing that left this vegetarian traveler longing for just a little more was the kitchen. The food they provided was good- but it was a set menu. For a picky eater/restricted diet it was a bit hard. I was always given vegetarian food, but, it was often cheese heavy which is not ideal for me. After a few days I was really excited to get away and choose my own food. The food quality really was fine- and my meat-eating husband never complained- but for a picky/restricted diet, it just wasn't ideal.
All in all it was a great place to stay- very quiet and relaxing. The wildlife comes very close to the lodge, and sometimes right onto the property- we saw warthogs, eland, giraffe, rhinos, monkeys and more all within 50 meters of the lodge if not closer.
3-4 days are enough at Hongonyi, because there isn't much else to do besides go on the drives/walks. My husband and I spent a lot of time napping and reading, which was perfect for us- exactly what we wanted. But if you're a gotta keep moving all the time kind of person, this is probably not the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kapama Southern Camp is the proud new addition to our Kapama Game Reserve family and is situated on the southern most section of the Kapama Private Game Reserve. It offers luxury safari accommodation, warm hospitality and friendly service in a tranquil setting which will satisfy even the most discerning nature lovers' taste.Lounge & PoolRelax in the lounge with a good book or just sit back and indulge in the breathtaking beauty of mother nature in all her splendour. Alternatively you can lazily lounge around our magnificent pool and deck area and stare into the vast African yonder, hopefully spotting some of the many animals that often pass in close proximity. If the African sun becomes too much to endure, a dip in the refreshing swimming pool will bring immediate relief, and the friendly barman will be on hand to spoil you with a tantalising cocktail.DiningBreakfast and lunches are normally served in the dining room with open sides, so you will always have nature just a few meters away while enjoying tasteful culinary creations from our qualified chefs . Dinner is served in the traditional outside Boma, again with nature as the backdrop and a starlit sky overhead creating the perfect setting.Southern Camp also boasts a fully equipped wine cellar where we stock only the finest wines from top South African vineyards in a perfectly humidified environment.Southern Camp Standard RoomsSouthern Camp offers 10 standard rooms. These include 4 family rooms catering for a maximum of two children under 12 per family room. All our standard rooms are equipped with an en-suite bathroom with shower only. Safe boxes and Coffee & Tea making facilities are standard in all rooms. The insect screens and air-conditioning will make the balmy summer evenings just so much more enjoyable.Southern Camp Suites (pictured below)Southern Camp also offers 15 Luxury Suites. En-suite and fully equipped with shower and baths, air-conditioning and a mini-bar fridge as a standard commodity. Take a relaxing bath and stare out the big wooden frame window, keeping an eye on the magnificently coloured birds just outside your suite or sit on your patio wile having your early morning coffee and feel the excitement build as you prepare for an exhilarating safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Kapama Southern Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Southern Camp Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Southern Camp Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa