“Best stay and safari in SA!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kapama Buffalo Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Kapama Buffalo Camp
R40, Kapama Private Game Reserve, | Kruger Park, Kruger National Park 1380, South Africa   |
Roeselare, Belgium
“Best stay and safari in SA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

- we were welcomed in very nice and personal way by Melanie and Lizel
- magnificent environment to have a drink and lunch
- the rooms are tents, but: huge, safe, clean, comfortable: watch my pics! I never stay / sleep in a tent but in one like these I'll sleep every day!
- lunch was nice, but not the rest of the hotel's standards
- afternoon safari: great guides ( Collen and Foster ) and the big 5!
- dinner: nice food ( but less than we expected from a place like this ) I'm convinced they can serve more than stew and chicken.
- good beds
- bathroom with shower and bath with view on the trees
- morning safariwas great with a stop for a cup of coffee and a biscuit ( African style: hard to chew )
- breakfast: perfect

My best 24 hours in SA! I'll be back and will recommend this to everybody who plans to visit SA!
Not cheap, but worth every cent!

Room Tip: we had 4 different tents, each one was beautiful, clean, luxurious as the other!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Kapama Buffalo Camp in Oct 2012. The "tent" was gorgeous although be warned a few creepy crawlers will get inside (I don't think this is avoidable with canvas).
Game drives were wonderful, they pair you up with the same group for all the drives and they you have the option to eat as a group as well. This was nice as it appeared that some effort had been made to match people up others of a similar age and adds a social element to the experience.
They use the following schedule:
5am: wake up and light snack
530- 830 - morning game drive
830 - breakfast (a la carte)
100 - lunch (a la carte) (spend your afternoon by the pool, taking a nap, can do some other optional activities - I highly recommend the Cheetah sancutary)
430- high tea
5-800 - afternoon game drive
800 - dinner (buffet)
I was surprised how cold it is in the mornings make sure to bring a warm sweater. Also bring some closed toe shoes they have a bit of an ant issue on their pathways.
Overall I would recommend the Kapama Buffalo Camp!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

A really special place, but you spend most of the time with the ranger and the tracker. We weren't so lucky 'cause our ranger wasn't só kind and part of the time he drove as crazy.
Besides that, it's a big five country, the rooms are beautiful and there others ranger options so I recommend it anyway.

• Stayed February 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Don't be fooled by the name "camp." Think 'Out of Africa" and that was more like our accomodations and experience! The "tent" was on stilts, had hard wood floors, a claw foot tub, travertine glass shower and a king size bed. Every night while we were at dinner housekeeping would come in and turn down the bed and put a hot water bottle under the duvet so it was nice and warm when you got in. We had a game drive every morning and afternoon. We saw the Big Five and so much more - it was incredible. It was just our group in the vehicle, so we could go at our own pace - i.e. take 100's of photos of lions, giraffes, etc. without having to hurry. The food was included and was also 5 star. This is a fantastic place, but the people here are exceptional! They make everything possible. Try to stay 4 days so that you can get the feel of the place and see all of the animals. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Take time to do the Elephant Back Safari - it was really great to ride on an elephant a view game. O...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Kapama Buffalo Camp for 4 nights and wished we had stayed there much longer! The whole experience was so breathtakingly beautiful that I don't know where to begin my review.

For starters, Claire, the camp manager, made us feel so at home when we arrived, along with all other staff in the camp...it was truly like a small family. The camp has a very exclusive and luxurious feel, with about 20 guests at its maximum occupancy. So everyone knew everyone really quickly...either through an eventful game drive or having dinner with people from all over the world at the Boma.

Our room was in excellent condition. Before our trip, we saw the photos of the tents and didn't quite believe the interor would be anything like it. We were so wrong. The tent, while it did shake at night with strong wind, was absolutely sturdy. The amenities were of very good quality too. We were impressed that they even thought of little details like inserting hot tumblers in between the bed sheets to warm the bed so we can sleep better at night. Of course, the kind gesture of celebrating our honeymoon with a bottle of champagne captured our hearts too! The camp site is very peaceful...you could sit outside, have a cup of tea, read a book and occassionally look up to find some kudus right below your tent. A perfectly romantic place to be for honeymooners. Absolutely recommend this place for city dwellers who truly want to escape the hustle and bustle of urban life.

Kapama fed us really, really well too. We have an early morning tea before we set off for morning drives, have breakfast when we return and 2 hours later, we have lunch (which has different menus everyday). We rest for 3 hours then have afternoon before our evening drive. Dinner would be ready by the time we return.

Game drives- the highlight of our stay, were amazing. I must especially commend Collen and Foster for their impeccable sense of direction, their expertise in tracking and their knowledge of the animals. They have really great chemistry as a team and Collen, with his humor, injected even more fun in the whole experience. With them, anyone can be assured they will do their very best to sight as many animals as possible and ensure that your safety is always their priority. Just on our very 1st game drive, we spotted 3 of the Big 5 and were lucky enough to trail behind two lionesses to watch them hunt! Big 5 sighting was relatively, and surprisingly easy. We were told Kapama is a private area, unlike the Kruger which is way larger, so chances of spotting something are higher. If you're hoping for the great migration kind of drama you'd typically watch on National Geographic, this may not be the place. But Kapama would be a great place for starter experience.

I only have 1 disappointment throughout my stay. I was pretty upset to find that Collen/ Foster were "replaced" halfway through our game drives and even more disappointed that we did not get a chance to bid them farewell and thank them for being such a wonderful guide. We asked several times why he was replaced but were not satisfied with the answer. Our next guide, Jeffrey didn't seem as experienced and seemed like he wasn't too good at tracking. We didn't appreciate his dry sense of humor either.

Anyhow, it was still a once in a lifetime experience for my husband and me. We certainly hope to be back one day and even hope to meet Collen to personally pass him the photo of the cheetah we spotted together on a tree.

You should also consider visiting the hoedspruit endangered conservation centre to gain an enriching experience about preserving our delicate wildlife.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Buffalo Camp in the Kapama game reserve. We had an absolute wonderful time while we were there. The canvas “tents” we stayed in we amazing. The tents were very clean and had all the amenities of a luxury hotel room. My wife and I enjoyed the fact that there were no clocks or tv’s in the tents. It added to the staying in the bush feel. Each tent also has multi country electrical adaptors, so we did not even need to use our adaptor. Each tent is also located on the edge of the camp so we did see animals grazing below from out deck.

When we arrived we were greeted by Claire with a drink and warm welcome. She showed us around the camp and went over the guidelines/schedule each day we were there. The camp was beautiful, the lounge pool was nice and cold, which was great for the hot afternoon. The bar was fully stocked and had excellent South African beers.

The food was excellent throughout our stay at the camp. The chef prepared something different every night and something always had a South African kick.

The game drives were amazing! My wife and I were with our ranger Almero and tracker Benson. They both did an amazing job! We learned so much from them and made sure that we saw the big 5 during our stay and some. Almero and Benson were both very courteous and answered any questions that we had. They also made a point to move the truck to make sure everyone got good angles of the animals.

For those reading this review deciding on where to safari, I should warn you that Kapama is a game reserve, so the area is fenced off and animals do not roam freely throughout Kruger National Park. However, you do not feel like you are fenced in. My wife and I went to two different parts of Kruger National Park and could see the difference with the herds that are available to roam free. This in no way makes Kapama bad, we had an excellent time!

The only issue we had with the camp was the ability to get tap water during dinner, it seemed that they always brought over bottled water and not tap. Just make sure that you specifically ask for tap water. Also we had issues with our bill upon leaving. Make sure you keep tabs of how much you drink throughout your stay. We had extra charges on our bill. They were, however, quick to make the necessary changes for the over charges. My wife and I would highly recommend Buffalo Camp for a honeymoon/vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I recently spent a month in Africa and visited 4 countries and had various game viewing experiences. My trip started at Vic Falls then Kapama Buffalo Camp in South Africa then continued onto Manyara National Park, Ngorogoro Crater, Serengeti, Masai Mara and Amboseli National Park.

This was the trip of a lifetime and I absolutely adored every part of it and I have certainly left a part of my heart in the wonderful continent of Africa and hope to return one say.

But I must say that the most wonderful part of this life changing adventure was my time at Kapama Buffalo Camp. Everything was superbly and professionally done, the staff were amazing and nothing was too much trouble and our comfort and needs were their number one priority. The food was fantastic and each day we had a different dining experience.

The camp itself is a most peaceful place to chill out as the ambience is relaxing and friendly with tasteful furnishing and wonderful surrounding bush land.

Naturally the highlight of my time at Kapama was the 6 hours of game driving per day. We'd be woken very early for a quick coffee and then head out in the chilly morning hours with cosy blankets and hot water bottles - once again our comfort was well catered for. We'd drive for 3 hours then return for breakfast then go out again in the late afternoon and return at dinner time.

Our Guide was Collin and our Tracker was Foster and I cannot speak highly enough of the expertise that these two special people had. Their ability to find all The Big Five in my three days with them was outstanding and the knowledge that Collin shared with us, both on the drives and during meal times was exceptional and he is a credit to the Kapama company.

I left this most wonderful camp with tears of joy in my eyes as there wasn't a day there that didn't thrill me. I cannot wait to return one day with my friends as this time I travelled alone.

Africa and Kapama will always have a place in my heart.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kapama Buffalo Camp? Share your experiences!