“February 2014 vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kapama River Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Kapama River Lodge
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   R40, Kapama Private Game Reserve, | Kruger Park, Kruger National Park 1380, South Africa   |
Santiago, Chile
“February 2014 vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed at the Kapama River Lodge in February 2014. The resort was a very cozy and comfortable place. The large lobby area has beautiful wooden furnishings, a fire place, a bar and comfortable couches and chairs to sit, relax and read. The rooms were also very comfortable and clean with nice wood furnishings. The rooms have both air conditioning and heat.I had good internet connections in the beautiful lobby area.
The food at the hotel was very good and the restaurant staff were extremely professional and friendly. I certainly enjoyed every meal. The evening meals were special events. The Safari staff were also very friendly and professional.The safari guides were very knowledgeable and knew where to find the animals. I was satisfied with my overall experience.
My stay at the Kapama River Lodge was very relaxing and peaceful. I would definitely stay there again. Congratulation for your wonderful lodge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

On the drive to Kapama we stop at a view called Gods Window. The view was magnificent. Then as we came out of the mountains we saw a rainbow. Both of these were leading up to Kapama.
We were met at the entrance to the lodge with hot towels to refresh ourselves with. Then given a glass of juice. That was only the beginning. My room was delightful, from the king size bed, to the soaking tub with a picture window view of the reserve. The staff new you by name, even the women who cleaned your room. The meals were many, and great, with taste ranging from wart hog ribs, to sticky toffee pudding. You were assigned a ranger, who took care of you to the extent of driving you to another gift shop on your free time, or staying out later to show you the night sky and the southern cross. Thanks Dino, you were great. And then the animals. I was closer than I thought I would ever be. We saw and experienced them all.
In all my life, I will never forget Kapama. I came home and told my travel agent friend that it is a must. I would gladly put up with the 23 hrs of flying from Chicago to go there again. I would love one of their photography weeks.

The only thing I could not rate was the spa, because I did not use it.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have problems request a first floor room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at the Kapama River Lodge for several days in October 2013. The resort was a very cozy and comfortable place. The large lobby area has beautiful wooden furnishings, a fire place, a bar and comfortable couches and chairs to sit, relax and read. The rooms were also very comfortable and clean with nice wood furnishings. The rooms have both air conditioning and heat. I needed to use both - air conditioning during the day and heat at night. The rooms do not have television and the free Wi-Fi is not accessible in the rooms. However, I had good internet connections in the beautiful lobby area. Although, I prefer to have a television in the room, I actually didn't have time to watch TV. Every night after dinner, I would socialize briefly with new acquaintances and then I went to bed early every night in order to get decent sleep before my early morning rise for the morning Game ride.

The food at the hotel was very good and the restaurant staff were extremely professional and friendly. I certainly enjoyed every meal. The evening meals were special events. The Safari and other hotel staff were also very friendly and professional. I was able to see all of the Big Five by my second day. The safari guides were very knowledgeable and knew where to find the animals. I was satisfied with my overall experience. The hotel has a decent gift shop and I bought all of my presents there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Visited Kapama for 2 days in February and couldn't have asked for more! The rooms are big and comfortable and the hotel facilities are beautiful.
The spa has a gorgeous pool, with a view for the reserve (you could see the animals passing by after the lake). You can only use the spa area if you have an appointment for a treatment, so I totally recommend that you do so. The other pool is very small and tends do get a little crowded. And the massage given by Bernice was wonderful!
The rangers that guided us on the game drive were very well prepared, respected the animals and answered all of our questions. You could see that they were putting all the effort to let us see all of the big five (unfortunately, the Leopard was shy those days). But we had a great time seeing lots of lions, elephants and other animals, so thank you Clement and Las!
The food is well prepared and different every day (usually a chicken and 1 other choice of meat. During the dinner we could try the local cuts). The service is also great, very friendly team (special thanks for German, our waiter).
I wish we could have spent more time there. Definitely recommend it when visiting the Kruger Park area!

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor, so you can have a view of the reserve
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
saladillo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I ve been in Kapama River Lodge from January 28th to January 30th, With my mum and sister.When we arrived to the airport Clive ( our ranger) was waiting for us.Everything was awesome ,the lodge itself, very comfortable and cosy .The bedrooms tidy and neat very well decorated with an enormous balcony facing the woods, the food delicious and varied and the best of all our safaries.We could see the big five!!! .I want to mention Freddy our tracker and specially thank Clive our ranger,cause he drove us through tha savanah, explained and taught us about the different animals and very patiently and clearly answered all our questions,he let us take hundreds of incredible photos very near of the animals.I can´t forget to mention and also thank Mmapula, Andrew and Erasmus.I pretty hope to return to Kapama River Lodge cause the memories lived there will always be in my mind and heart. M Gabriela Hansen ( from Saladillo ,province of BA ) Argentina.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an incredible view!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel is awesome. It starts when your ranger and tracker pick you up at the airport! My Ranger was John, he is the oldest ranger in Kapama and makes his most to find the animals for you! We saw cheetah, leopards, lions, buffalos, giraffes, zebras and a lot of impalas!
The rooms are amazing. We stayed in the Spa Suites. It's a 3 minute walking from the reception/restaurants. The room is wide, the bathroom is very nice with two sinks and an amazing bathtub with a great view of the savannah!
No TV though... But unless you are planning to quit the safaris to watch CNN, itãs one of the best choices in South Africa!
There is complimentary Wi fi connection in the rooms and the common areas.
The SPA is a little bit expensive.

Room Tip: Spa Suites If you desire more privacy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We arrived early enough to settle in our rooms and go out on safari. The staff were outstanding as was the lodge with the wild animals wondering around. The lodge: lovely structures that blended into the surrounding area. The rooms: you forgot that you are on safari and are equal to any luxury hotel in the city. Meals: The hotel made sure that we were well fed, lunch, was a varied buffet, afternoon tea a delight. Dinner buffet was poor and we wondered if it was the smae chef. Breakfast was excellent and the variety of breads was lovely. The safari: the tracker and guide knew were to find the animals, afternoon safari there were less animals, however we hade a treat in that we stopped to have tea and cookies out in the wild. In the morning our tracker and guide found a lion and lioness with a kill and a pride of lionesses with cubs. What an adventure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kapama River Lodge? Share your experiences!