“Fantastic Safari, excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kapama River Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Kapama River Lodge
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   R40, Kapama Private Game Reserve, | Kruger Park, Kruger National Park 1380, South Africa   |
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Safari, excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for the final 3 days of our honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect. The service was excellent, the lodge beautiful and the food fantastic. The manner in which the game reserve was run; really shone through. Thomas (management) was a very attentive host and always ensured the guests were happy. Our game drives were the best we've experienced (having been on 2 other safari holidays). Freedom and Ringo (our ranger / tracker) were more than we could have wished for, we saw all of the Big 5 and their knowledge and experience was priceless. Our room (spa suite) was perfect, very clean, original design with a walk in shower, balcony over looking the bush and spacious. We also visited the spa which was pure luxury and a definite for couples! I could not fault this amazing lodge.

Room Tip: Spa Suite was perfect for us and had a great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

The staff is slow to respond to needs, and lacking in the quality when they do- for example, a) when I had 15 mins for breakfast, despite having 10 staff passing by me no one offered me coffee or tea, b) when I needed packed lunch, I got a nasty cheese sandwich with cold samosas (cold when I got them, so must have been from last night), and c) I came back with a bleeding hand and asked for a first aid kit, the receptionist asked me to wait for the ranger, and in the end the same receptionist was the one who helped with the wound very haphazardly. The ranger we were with was new and would stop the car short of the people in the back seeing them (I guess it's because she's taking photos herself). For some reason this reserve has both a tracker and a ranger (one drives and one looks)- most other resorts have only 1 guy who does everything. The ranger didn't even have a first aid kit and had to call another ranger to get it in the middle of the safari. The general staff was courteous but was more eager to chit chat than to ensure that the guest is comfortable.

Overall, i wouldn't go back or recommend going to kapama. I enjoyed Imbali 10x more, despite the 2 hour drive from hoedspruit

• Stayed September 2013
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

WOW, Amazing!!! We stayed in the Spa Suites in June for 3 nights / 4 days, (free Upgrade as my 40th birthday later in the week). The ambience of the lodge is amazing from the communal areas to the Rooms. The team here make sure you love it, the service we received was very professional and friendly from everyone. Our 6 game drives were awesome, we saw everything up close, the guides and trackers try so hard for you to have a great experience with real face to face encounters with all animals not just the Big 5, which by the way you still get up close with. The high light was watching 3 baby lion cubs playing within a few feet of the open truck.. Even once dark the guys were able to spot great nocturnal animals. Take a wind proof jacket, fleece and hat as the evening drives get cold, but you get a blanket. You share your vehicular to a max of 10, we had 6 including us in our group , so plenty of room in the truck. Don't worry the guides will make sure you all get great photos & views. You have dinner as a group over the days including your guide, which worked really well. Their are a number of activities on offer between drives, we took the bush walk option which is with your guide is totally free, the bush-walk was about the habitat, track's from animals, how to make rope, take water from plants, how to find toilet paper and lasted about an hour 1/2 , Good fun. We also used the Spa, the surroundings are beautiful & treatments were well priced. The food is constant & great quality, the buffet style is some of the best food I have eaten in my 2 week trip. We would go back and stay a couple of nights in a mix of the other 4 accommodations options on the reserve, definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Katy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Staying at the lodge and taking the game drives was an amazing experience. The guides and trackers were experienced, attentive and easily responded to our questions and sometime our concerns. We saw all the “Big 5” except for the leopard. I wouldn’t change the trip but did get the impression that on many occasions they already knew where the game were at and just portioned them out throughout our three days.

The lodge was very comfortable, service was good and food was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We are here now and it is wonderful! twice daily game drives and more great food than a cruise ship! The rangers and trackers are excellent and all about making sure that you get to see all the animals. They go to great lengths, tracking the animals, and ensuring that you have a perfect trip. Example: we tracked a leopard last night and after 2.5 hours found her - what an incredible lifetime experience!

Rooms are outstanding and the lodge is beautiful. Clean, tremendous service and beautifui. Our room has a corner balcony overlooking the bush. Double glass shower, soaking free standing tub - really, just tremendous.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My family and I recently spent 3 nights at Kapama River Lodge and I can't say enough good things about our stay. We went on 6 safari drives and each one was spectacular. Kevin our guide and Michael our spotter were unbelievable. They went out of their way to insure we saw the Big 5 and indeed we did. In fact, we saw animals and things I never dreamed I would see-a pride of 12 lions, leopard with a recent kill, cheetah with a kill, hippos, cape buffalos, rhinos, hyena just to name a few. I know we were lucky but I really feel we own so much to our guides for all their efforts and knowledge. Kapama offers much more than just a safari experience. Our room was great-comfortable bed, soaking tub, big shower, and a balcony where we could sit and see an occasional animal. The reception area, bar and pool areas are beautiful. Meals were served buffet style and they were delicious. They served a variety of different dishes but I especially enjoyed getting to try some unusual food such as warthog, crocodile, kudoo and others. I would also highly recommend a visit to the spa. I had a first rate treatment and it is a great place to relax and possibly see animals drinking at the lake by the spa pool. If you decide to get a treatment I would suggest you book it before you arrive as they book up quickly. All in all our visit to Kapama far exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Kapama in July with my wife and 2 daughters (10 and 11 yrs old) for 2 nights at the front end of a SA vacation. Amazing first safari experience. Top notch service, food and accommodations. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Kapama River Lodge? Share your experiences!