From the time we pulled up at the lodge, we were extremely well looked after. Guests are apparently assigned a single ranger and tracker-spotter for the duration of their stay, and they were just so friendly and knowledgable.
We stayed in one of the luxury tents. It lived up to the name and was very private, though only a minute's walk from the public area of the lodge, though not accessible for those with disability, the standard rooms are evidently. (There is a sort of "mounting block" for persons who can't climb into the safari vehicle on their own.)
This private park has a full assortment of game, big and small. It is continuous with another private park which further shares a common, unfenced border with Kruger National Park. This allows highly mobile species access to Kapama. Due to this feature, we were able to see a pack of Painted Wolves (African Wild Dogs), which was a very special and rare sighting. We saw 4 out of the big 5 during our 2 night stay, we tracked a leopard for a while, but alas, it eluded us.
Our ranger recommends the winter months (July/ August) when the the bush is not so dense with the grass flat and the leaves fallen as the time with the best visibility, but be warned: it's COLD at dawn even in the autumn month of April. One would need to be really bundled up to keep warm in the back of an open-air vehicle, even at low speeds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the banks of the perennial Klaserie River is one of Kapama's most secluded and prestigious safari camps named Karula. Karula means "place of peace" in the native tongue, and soon after your arrival you will know exactly why this name is just so perfect for this magnificent luxury safari camp. Peace is but one of the many emotions that will encompass your soul as you look at the serene waterway meandering gently past your doorstep and the age old saying "water is life" will begin to have a whole new meaning for you. The open plan lounge and bar area, with floor to ceiling glass doors illustrates the perfect balance with elegant light colors. This modern building with its whitewashed wooden structure, skylights and open air bar, creates a cozy feel to the lounge and makes it a day time favorite to enjoy a drink or just sit back and enjoy the sights Karula has to offer. The contemporary yet African feel to the camp will satisfy and exceed the expectations of even the most discerning connoisseurs. The outside wooden deck overlooking the Klaserie river gives you the opportunity to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and magnificent vistas the camp has to offer. Karula Library & Media Room boasts some of the best audio visual equipment but doubles as a library where you can read a good book in a breathtaking environment, or just take in nature's views through the massive sliding windows. Keep in touch with family and loved ones at one of the two dedicated guest internet stations with WiFi on tap and free of charge. A private, romantic fireplace dinner can also be arranged with the camp personnel, and in a modern romantic setting like this, the answer can only be "Yes". Kapama Karula has twelve superior suites, each exquisitely decorated and with generous private space. Two of the superior suites are purpose-built for families. Each suite also has a private outside deck and a large swimming pool, which is heated in the chillier months for year-round swimming. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Kapama Karula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Karula Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Karula Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa