We spent one night at Mohlabetsi as part of a week-long wildlife excursion with Southern Circle Tours. This small lodge was our favorite stop along the way, with traditional African rondawel hut accommodations and an outdoor boma dining area. There is often lots of wildlife visible just outside of the lodge, including elephants, giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, and impala. The rooms are very well furnished, and you don't feel like you're staying in a hut at all! There is an enclosed outdoor shower, and it was a great experience to see the stars and hear the sounds of the African bush at night while taking a shower.
Both of our game drives (afternoon/evening and the next morning) were amazing, including sunset drinks in the middle of the bush followed by a night-time rhino encounter, among others. The most memorable sighting on the morning safari was a leopard, which our two guides Nick and Lucky skillfully tracked. Leopard sightings are fairly rare because they are often skittish. However, this one was very relaxed and allowed us to get a long look at him, even showing off his teeth a few times.
After a great end to the last game drive of our trip, we rounded out the morning having breakfast with a view of a large group of animals grazing nearby. For us, Mohlabetsi offered the quintessential South African wildlife experience, with less than a dozen rooms, very attentive staff, and excellent game viewing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are situated in the vast Balule Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger Park. Get close up to the Big 5 & other animals on vehicle safaris & walks. Luxurious accommodation in a small, privately owned camp, excellent meals & South African hospitality at an extremely affordable price. Easy access via self-drive or daily flights & shuttles from Johannesburg. Relax around a swimming pool & enjoy aroma-therapy massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, T4B, Priceline, Agoda, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mohlabetsi Safari Hotel Balule Private Game Reserve
- Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge South Africa/Balule Private Game Reserve