We returned to South Africa to again stay at Nkorho after first spending a few days in Kruger Park. Many wonderful changes were made to the facility since our stay five years earlier. There is now a large deck overlooking their watering hole along with a swimming pool. We watched jackels, velvet monkeys, kudu, giraffe, and zebra frequent the waterhole. (Nkorho has a webcam positioned there that you can access via Africam). Attached to this deck is a beautiful, large bar with a nice wine cellar located below.
There are seven chalets available, each with their own large deck. When sitting on the deck you’ll enjoy watching the abundance of Nkorho birds (southern yellow-billed hornbill) found on the property. Our room was nicely sized with quite a large bathroom.
Each day starts with a morning drive lasting three hours. You will always have the same Ranger and Spotter for each drive. In fact, the Ranger basically stays with you through the day – taking meal and drink requests as well as chatting with you during meals. We were lucky to once again have Frankie as a spotter. What he can track and see at night is incredible. He spotted some kind of chameleon one evening that was about 50 yards away in a bush. Phenomenal eyes!!
A mid-morning walk is offered daily, which largely focuses on the local fauna, etc. After the evening ride dinner is served. Most evenings dinner is served in their boma. However, we were fortunate to be there on a Saturday night when dinner is served in the bush. Aside from the game drives, this was one of my favorite experiences there. During dinner we were surrounded by hyenas, which didn’t bother us, but their sounds certainly added to the atmosphere.
As for game, we saw plenty, leopards on just about every drive, rhinos, buffalo, elephants, and of course lions – including a mating pair and a mom with her young male and an even younger cub. But on our last morning drive we were lucky to be in perfect light as three lions walked to a watering hole, allowing us to get some of our best shots.
We'll undoubtedly return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled near the unfenced borders of the Kruger National Park this luxury four star Sabi Sand lodge offers a diverse abundance of classic African Wildlife. Nkorho Bush Lodge offers a comfortable environment in which to become one with nature, whether it be bird watching or game viewing from an open vehicle we offer a bushveld experience extraordinaire. Nkorho Bush Lodge creates and atmosphere of relaxation, sheer contentment a feeling of unity. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Nkorho Bush Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nkorho Bush Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Nkorho Bush Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve