“Unforgettable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps

You added Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps to your Saves list
Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Orpen Road | P.O. Box 786064, Kruger National Park 1360, South Africa   |
sydney
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked our holiday from Sydney at the last minute and our agent highly recommended Honeyguide as an unforgettable safari experience, and it definitely was. My 17 year old daughter and I were amazingly lucky to be staying at the Lodge with an amazing array of guests from Italy, the US, and some locals from J'berg. It felt as though we were staying at a friends Lodge as opposed to a hotel, as the staff were so welcoming and our fellow guests made our stay so enjoyable. The food was on a par with eating at a Michelin rated restaurant and the accommodation was perfect. Our tracker and driver on our game drives were not only informative but thrilling with their many surprises in discovering hidden animals. We can't wait to return to Honeyguide and will never forget our truly wonderful experience at Honeyguide.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
PeterAucamp, Owner at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Megan, thank you so much for this wonderful feedback. It was wonderful to have you and Lucy on safari with us and we are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the camp, the food and your drives with Wayne and Devance. Warmest regards from all of us at Honeyguide!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It's all about value for money, isn't it? And Mantobeni is in my opinion great value for money. It was my third time at that camp, over the last 12 years. Overall, a very good experience, we loved the cooking and the game drives were good. I remembered it to be excellent, that's all. I remembered our sundowners to be in amazing locations, having our dinner near the fire, having a hot water bottle in my bed at night, having a ranger transparent about what we were about to see. This time it was different for me. The fire every night was minimal, we had to fan it to get something going. Our guide was somewhat resistant to share what was going on on the radio. Sundowners were just where we happened to be except one night where we were near a lake. One out of three.

The first night, we heard on the radio galagalagala, a very excited other guide was yelling. I then did not know that gala was lion in shangaan. Guide ignored it, we finished our drinks and then, rushed to where the lion was. We caught it as it was leaving, We did see it and we did rush to go see it. My preference would have been for the guide to ask us if we preferred having a glass of wine or going to see a lion. I think we would have said lion. I think the other two times I was there, our guide would have asked what our preference was.

To be fair, we did see a lot of animals, up close. But everyone wants to see lions, don't they?

The other point I would make, is that they asked the guide to sit with guests at meals. Our guide was not engaging at all, and I knew he would have preferred to be just about anywhere else, we would ask him a question and he would answer yes or no, which left us with talking among ourselves in English to be polite, as English is not our first language. I felt uncomfortable at meals because of the lack of conversational skills our guide had. Then on the last day, he perked up and wanted to talk. It would have been much better to be among ourselves in this case. What I remembered were great dinners with our guides - both times - them telling us stories of past drives etc. But his very guarded attitude did not allow him to share maybe because he thought we would require the same.

We had a good time, and since I got back I looked at other lodges and Mantobeni is definitely cheaper than most. If I was on a budget and wanted to see animals, I would go back. If I was a little bit more relaxed about money, I would try something else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PeterAucamp, Owner at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Kisha

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Honeyguide Mantobeni Camp.We were delighted that you chose to return to the camp for another visit, that you saw a large amount of animals and that you still found the camp to be value for money. We regret however that you found the guide Vestment did not interact sufficiently with your group. Vestment has been with us for many years and is generally great with the guests and has many stories to tell of his guiding days as well as his earlier days as a tracker in the Manyeleti. One of the good things about Honeyguide is having the camp manager and the guides all sit around one table at dinners and also around the fireplace after game drives.We have discussed your comments with him and he appreciates that he was found wanting on this occasion. He also understands the need to let guests know if another vehicle has spotted one of the more elusive animals and to let the guests participate in the decision on whether to join the search or continue with sun-downers. The sundowner spots he pre-selected, namely a water pan, then skybeds dam with some hippos and then main dam should have been good spots. Please would you let me know at peter@mix.co.za where you feel he could have done better as we need to discuss this with him and the other guides.

I understand that the wet weather put a damper on the wood and we have found a way of resolving this. As winter has arrived early, hot-water-bottles should have been placed in the tents during dinner to provide warmth on your return. I understand from the manager that this was not done and apologize sincerely for this omission - we have a full stock of hot-water-bottles so there was no excuse!

We have looked at your comments in detail and discussed them with the managers and the guide. We appreciate the distance you have to travel for your South African safari and it is important to us to see that you return with fond memories of your time with us We will learn from your comments and work with the guide and managers to improving this experience. With warmest regards, Peter Aucamp
Armidale, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My family and I had the privilege of spending 6 nights at Khoka Moya safari, I was slightly concerned as we have a 4 & 6 year old and upon arriving this was all put behind me. Brett & his team made all of us welcome from the minute we arrived. Our children loved the game drives and our guides and trackers were so accommodating, they made sure both adults and kids were looked after with food and drinks, explanation of animals, tracks etc and just general fun. The food prepared by Mama G and her team was glorious, every meal was perfect. One of our children is a fussy eater and they were very accommodating for her and Rose and Nozisi were always there making sure they were eating, if they fell sleep at night they were there with a blanket and always keeping an eye on them. Brett arranged a trip with one of our great trackers "Vestment" for the kids to look at tracks of animals while parents had some rest. Our team of trackers (Anthony & Phillip) and our guides (Vestment, Anton & CJ) were wonderful, never once did we feel any drive was repetitious as we were always driving somewhere new and seeing different wildlife, they put so much effort into everything it was always a pleasure to be part of it. To all the team at Honeyguide Khoka Moya - thank you all so much for such a wonderful experience and one we will all treasure for life. I am sure you will see us again and for those thinking about it "do it", you will love it. The tents are amazing, so comfortable and a part of the natural habitat. Sit back and you will be amazed. See you next time, Regards The Lucas Family

Room Tip: Tent 5 was great, private and very comfortable. I am sure Brett will give you a tent that is suitabl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PeterAucamp, Owner at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Lucas Family

We are blown away by your kind comments on your recent stay. We are delighted that you had a good time at Honeyguide Khoka Moya and that Brett, the General Manager and his guiding team of Anton, Vestment and CJ (great to have CJ back with us for a spell), and the trackers of Anthony and Phillip (one of our longest serving staff members) with food from Mama G - and presented by Nosizi (also one of our longest serving staff members) and Rose (who joins us from the Makuleke Community up towards the north of Kruger. We are so happy that your family enjoyed the reserve, interacted with the Honeyguide team and we hope that you will visit us again in the future. With warmest regards from the Manyeleti, with Autumn upon us, Peter, Brett and the rest of the team including those kindly mentioned by you.
Mosman, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Honeyguide provided a fantastic experience with their tented camp. The game drives, food and service were all first class but it was the thrill of sleeping out in the open that topped off a great stay.

We saw 4 of the Big 5 and to experience them at such a close distance just added to the experience. I would thoroughly recommend this as a place to start a safari holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterAucamp, Owner at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Stephen O, thank you for posting your comments on your March stay at Honeyguide. We are delighted that you enjoyed your safari at Honeyguide, that you liked the game viewing, the food and the service. We are especially appreciative that you highlighted the thrill of staying in a canvas tent in the wild. Sometimes hard for us to explain the wonder of lying in your tent at night and listening to the animal calls. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Warmest regards, Peter Aucamp and the Honeyguide team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the family camp.

From arrival to departure. The staff was extremely attentive, caring, helpful and fun. We laughed, ate and shared many stories together.

The tent rooms were clean, comfortable and relaxing. Never too hot. Beds were excellent and we always had a restful night sleep.

The food was incredible. Something different every day and all of it very good. One visitor had a dietary concern and the staff was very accomidating. In fact it was her second time to the camp.
Safari - the whole reason for going was to take the kids on their first safari. They started by complaining that 530 am was too early to get up. Who wouldn't agree? But after the excitement of spotting the wildlife - getting up got easier. Every safari drive was excellent. Great tracker and driver (Lyton). Morning coffee next to a pond with a family of hippos before tracking down the Rhino. Unbelievable. Then a sundowner and one of the most beautiful colored sky's I have seen. One night after finding a family of lions we had a moonriser (lol). But as late as it was - seeing he moms with their cubs made both my 9 and 11 years olds day - as well as their parents.

We had the best time ever and owe it to the wonderful people that cared for us and cared that we had a great time. Bret is the manager and was very attentive and helpful. Even making a special effort to help my wife download her photos.

Thank you Honeyguides.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pianoman

Thank you for this review on tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and your children's first safari at Honeyguide Khoka Moya. Great that Lyton and Brett (and the chefs and rest of the team) were there to look after you and add to the fun and experience. It is a wonderful part of the world and the Honeyguides (your term!) were delighted to share it with you. We hope to see you all again. Please look at our facebook page from time to time for updates posted by the guides. Warmest regards Brett, Lyton and the Honeyguide team.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Sitting in the dark listening to a male lion only meters away from the vehicle, watching 2 male cheetahs get ready to begin a morning hunt, becoming one with a herd of buffalo, morning coffee with a pod of hippos and a croc, sunrise over an endless savannah of golden orb spider webs glistening in the light, sitting in the middle of a herd of waterbucks that were on predator alert (perhaps a leopard?), coming upon a pair of sparring male elephants and sitting very still as one inspected our group and…the list of incredible moments is endless. Honeyguide was not just a safari experience to see the animals and check them off a list, but to experience their life on the savannah. Vestment and Douglas made sure our three boys were full members of our group and never rushed through any siting.
The tents were spotless, beds were fabulously comfortable, food was excellent and something for every taste. Not to mention a special birthday celebration for the 15 year-old. I wouldn’t change a thing. Thanks for the great memories!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Momof3, thank you - this wonderful review makes us realize the privilege and yet responsibility we have to share our beautiful part of the Manyeleti with our guests. It is so wonderful to see how much you enjoyed your stay at Khoka Moya, that the game viewing was interesting and not rushed and how the team including Douglas and Vestment and the chefs took care to see that you and the boys had a memorable time. Thanks for mentioning the staff members and also for appreciating the effort which they made for the 15th birthday. We hope to see you all again. Warmest regards Peter Aucamp and the Honeyguide Khoka Moya Team.
Sydney Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at Honeyguide Mantobeni tented camp in March 2012.
It was a disaster from start to finsh.
The camp could best be described as on its last legs and downmarket.
The tent was dark and we were constantly searching for dark items such as underwear and cables.
The service attitude was deplorable. It was as though the staff would be pleased if we had not come and the sooner we left the better.
The guides were apathetic.
The food was unremarkable as opposed to other camps we have visited.

We highly recommend you choose another camp.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Winno

Thank you for your review on your stay at our Mantobeni Camp during March last year. As a year has elapsed it is difficult for me to find out the details of your visit, ie what you were served for meals what your saw and which staff you were not happy with. I would be grateful if you would send me more information in this regard to peter@mix.co.za. I can however confirm that we have, in the last year, made a lot of refurbishments to the tents and bathrooms at Mantobeni - including the lighting inside the cupboards, which you correctly mentioned need to be attended to. We have also replaced carpets, couches and mattresses and are in the process of upgrading the tents themselves. Floods earlier this year have meant more refurbishments but we understand this is an ongoing process. We have an enthusiastic new team at Mantobeni and the recent comments on this site have been complimentary on the food and the game viewing. I am grateful for your visit to Honeyguide but would like to receive further information or suggestions from your by email as it is essential that we take on all feedback especially any constructive criticism. Warmest regards, Peter Aucamp

Been to Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps? Share your experiences!