We have just spent three days at Londolozi Varty Camp as part of our 30th wedding anniversay tour and were very impressed by both the staff and the whole camp experience. This was our first safari and we were not disappointed.
We arrived in the afternoon, so were able to go on the late afternoon game drive. We were joined each day with another British couple and a couple of American newly weds. Our guide, Alfie, was extremely knowledgable and we were thrilled to come across four of the big five on our first outing into the bush. Over the next two days we attended both the early morning and late afternoon drives and were amazed at how close we could get to the animals, even managing to be a couple of feet away from a leopard eating its prey. On one evening we sat for about an hour on the edge of a pride of lions, watching the cubs playing around the lionness and the huge male. On another occasion, we were chased by a huge bull elephant who didn't seem to like our company - very exciting experience! Needless to say, we were in good hands with Alfie at the wheel and came to no harm.
Although you have to get up at 05:00 for the morning drives, it is well worth it and you can rest during the day by your private plunge pool or experience fishing or a bush walk.
The camp has an excellent photographic centre and they are very helpful in helping to get the most out of the shots you have taken. We had a couple blown up and printed to take back and frame.
The Varty cottages are very well equipped and even include a huge fridge of soft drinks, wine and champagne, tea, freshly ground coffee and bisucuits, all included in the cost of your stay. The bathrooms are huge and come with every essential should you have left anything behind. The beds were extremely comfortable and the laundry was also inclusive, a fact which I don't think is mentioned on the website.
The food and wine was excellent and no-one seems to mind if you are late back from a drive or have no time to change for dinner in the evening. On one evening, a BBQ dinner was arranged in one of the outside areas and we were entertained by the 'Londolozi Choir' consisting of some of the female employees singing traditional African songs. On another evening, we were nearly finishing our drive, when our guide suddenly change course and we found ourselves at a cocktail party in the middle of the bush!
We had a wonderful time at Londolozi and would thoroughly recommend them for a fantastic safari experience.
We would like to thank Simone and Jeremy for their wonderful hospitality in Varty and of course, Alfie and Euce our guides who went the whole way to make sure we saw everything we wanted to see and were subsequently always the first out on the drives and the last ones in.
We hope to revisit in the future.
- Also Known As:
- Londolozi Varty Camp Hotel
- Londolozi Varty Camp Hotel Londolozi Private Game Reserve
- Londolozi Varty Camp South Africa/Londolozi Private Game Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Varty Camp is the home of an African safari holiday. All rooms have private swimming pools framed by timber decks that overlook the riverine bush. The living spaces are raised off the ground and shaded under a cathedral of trees. The camp has a pleasingly down-to-earth quality and the emphasis on family heritage means that children always have a place at Varty Camp.Varty Camp is also home to the original Sparta Hunting Camp, our boutique, the Cardio Vascular Room, Massage Treatment Room and our Library. Guests from all Camps are invited to make use of these facilities. ... more less