“Fantastic Safari and excellent Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Londolozi Varty Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Varty Camp
You added Londolozi Varty Camp to your Saves list
Kruger National Park 1350, South Africa   |
Schindellegi, Switzerland
“Fantastic Safari and excellent Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent three nights at Varty Camp and had a huge, comfortable room, big veranda even a plunge pool was included. The pick up at the airstrip was very welcome.
The open Restaurant offers a great view to the river and we have seen big herd of elefants walking along the Sand River. During our first game drive on the same day, our Ranger Lucien and Tracker James spotted a leopard with a cub and as lucky we were, the vater of the cub joined them too. This was a great experience as we have done Safari's before but never seen a leopard. During the following drives we have seen some more leopoards and all the big fives. Londolozi is really an excellent place so see leopards. I have done a lot of research in the internet and found a website, which recommended Londolozi as one of the best places in Africa and it's true. At the end of our last game drive Lucien had a great surprise for us, he stopped at an excellent spot, we felt very spoiled. On the other side a single elefant bull walked along the stream, it was like in an ad. Lucien and James did an excellent job, they knew all the lions by their names. Due to all the excellent game drives I should not forget to mention the friendly staff,very good food, great massage in the spa and Lina (we called her queen of Londolozi) she gave us a tour through the village. Where we have seen the making of the giraffes which were used in your Christmas news letter. Looking forward to returning to Londolozi in the near future.

Room Tip: We were in room 9 which was excellent, but room 10 has the better view to the river, less trees in f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi Antonella,

It was so wonderful having you with us in December last year. We are delighted to hear that you had such a great stay in Varty Camp. Georgia, Richard, Lucien and James all send their regards and look forward to welcoming you back to Londolozi in the hopefully not too far away future.

The Londolozi Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I spent two nights at Varty Camp and it was a very special experience. My room was lovely but that is not what makes this place so amazing. The staff here are fantastic, friendly and great company. It is not a stuffy formal environment, which I prefer, and the service is first class. The public area is really what makes this camp and the views out over the bush while you have your meals is stunning. Our ranger Dean was great company and clearly has a passion for what he does. The game viewing was more than I could have hope for. For me the highlights were seeing leopard, cheetah, lions and a ground hornbill! The really great part of the game viewing here is that the leopards are used to people so they do not run away as soon as they see you. It means you get to see these beautiful animals up close which is a very rare thing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear ElaineSA,

We are so pleased that your stay at Londolozi was such a special experience and that you enjoyed your time on Safari with Dean as your guide. It sounds like you had outstanding game viewing, especially with the Ground Hornbills.

We hope to see you back with us in the near future and on our blog until then.

Twyford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We just spent 3 fabulous days at the Varty Camp, the rooms were well appointed and extremely comfortable and had views overlooking the river to observe the odd Elephant or Cape Buffalo wonder buy having there afternoon snack. The plunge pool on the private deck was a must as after heavy rain it does become stiflingly hot and humid this time of year. The main dining area is a sheer delight with open views of the river and occasional entertainment from some of the resident monkeys. We had heard about the quality of the food and levels of service all of which more than lived up to our expectations. They even went the extra distance upon return from our afternoon drive and provided us with a candle lit bath and private dining on our deck with a dedicated butler....well done Londolozi !

In the field... our guide, James was incredible, he went the extra mile to ensure we saw the lot, no cruising around the camp as we have previously experienced……. we saw all the borders of the property and then some !!! ( He knows what I mean !) His Zoology degree really helped when explaining to us the complex bio diversity on the reserve and particularly around the river. Mike the tracker was funny and always on the lookout for those more elusive animals.

All in all another very enjoyable Game viewing experience, I highly recommend Londolozi and the Varty Camp in particular.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear uh2239,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and putting together such a kind review. We are so pleased that you got to explore all the corners of the property with James and Mike as well as see so many animals.

The Varty Camp team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Americus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have just returned from our holiday in South Africa. We spent three days and nights at Varty camp and absolutely LOVED every moment. The lodge is beautifully situated over the river with the main lodge building essentially a huge veranda with a vaulted roof open and one end. There is a huge tree that it is built around. The views are stunning. The individual suites are located along the same ridge overlooking the river below. Each suite has its own private veranda with its own plunge pool. The rooms are tastefully decorated with all the modern ammenities.
It is the game drives that truely makes this camp so special. We were fortunate to have Adam and Solly as our ranger and tracker. They were both terrific. Adam is passionate about his job. And especially so about the lions at Londolozi. He knows them all by name and knows their family background and all kinds of information about them. We had some of the most extraordinary sightings and Adam's excitement was infectious. But lions were not the only animals he knew. He told us all about the lone male cheetah that we got to see on two different occasions; the leopards were also no strangers to him. We spent much of one morning tagging along behind a mother and her very shy cub. Adam told us that the cub had not seen many vehicles and we stayed with them for some time in an attempt to "socialize" the young one. But we saw all kinds of other animals and each drive seemed to have one new adventure for us. Thanks to you two for really making game drives the most extraordinary experience.
This place is fantastic... drives, lodging, food, friendly staff... all terrific!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear GranBeba,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and for such a wonderful review. We are so pleased that your safari experience with Adam and Solly was so meaningful and that you got to see such wonderful wildlife. I will be sure to pass on your review to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were at Varty camp for the past weekend. It was our 9th wedding anniversary. From the time we got out the car we felt so welcome everyone we came across were always smiling and genuinely friendly. The decor of the lodge and rooms were classy and modern. So tastfully done. We loved the beautiful outdoor pool on our veranda, which we could relax on between the great meals and good animal viewing. THe ranger Sean and tracker Richard were a great team and worked well together. We have been on quite a few safaris and the game viewing at londolozi is top class. All the animals at the moment have babies, so making the bush experience even better. The food was excellent good quality, well presented and most important delicious. The cashew nut biscuts on morning drive with amarula coffee were sinful, even thinking about it now makes my mouth water. One of the best things at Londolozi is the personal touches, you feel part of the family it is most definately a home away from home. I felt sad to leave as it was like saying goodbye to old friends. Go to Londolozi you will have a trip of a life time. And memories you will never forget.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear dinosaur_7

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and for writing us such a nice review. We are so pleased that you felt like part of the family with us during your stay and that you had such incredible game viewing with Sean and Richard. I will be sure to pass on your review to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Safwa, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

In the past two years, I visited Sabi Sands Private Game reserve four times, I've been into five different lodges, most were excellent and up to my expectations, however, now whenever I think of going back there, Varty camp will surely be on the top of my preferred camps. I understand the competition there is fierce, many other lodges race into providing the luxurious feel Sabi Sands is known for, I just loved Varty Camp more than anywhere else. I loved the quality of service in every single thing I've encountered during my stay in July 2012. The staff with no exclusion were always helpful and always ready to make you feel home.

When I arrived there, I was really stunned with the type of room I had. Luxury by all means! I didn't even know I was supposed to have a private little swimming pool in there, I surely liked that.
Our ranger Talley Smith was just amazing. She is professional in what she is doing, she knows what she is doing and compared to many other rangers I've been with, she is one of the best. We as expected saw the big five, we were almost there to see the magnificence seven (wild dogs + cheetah) but just missed the cheetah by few days but the sighting of the wild dogs was more than I describe it! Unbelievable!
My only one note to the lodge and it's management which I hope they consider is the lunch time, it is done immediately right before the afternoon game drive, other lodges usually do it one or two hours before that. I found it a bit uncomfortable to just be in the safari car (with full stomach, yes I eat a lot) and then going through some bumpy roads and all that. I would just suggest giving guests the option if they want to have an earlier lunch to avoid such issue.

In short, as I titled my review, don't look further! Londolozi is just an amazing place!

Room Tip: Being a photographer with heavy equipments all the time, I always prefer a room that is not far a wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Malnaser,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your stay at Varty Camp and for your lunch time suggestion as well. We will be sure to consider your thoughts for our other guests.

We are delighted that you had such a great time with Talley Smith and that she showed you such an amazing variety of game during your time here. We hope that you got some amazing photographs!

We so look forward to having you back here when next you visit the Sabi Sands and hope to see you on our blog until then.

The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We visited Varty camp for 3 days in June with our 6 & 8 year old kids, and we had a remarkable visit. We were charmed from the beginning with a warm welcome & introduction to all the members of the team at Varty camp, and were amazed as a group of a dozen or so elephants meandered across the watering hole in front of the lodge! Georgia & Kerri were always present to help us know where to go or what to do in order to make the most of our stay. Kate was our ranger, and she welcomed our kids on every ride, making sure they learned tidbits about skulls & prints along the way. Between rides, our kids were thrilled with the kids camp- Cinzia, the leader of the kids group, made them feel like they were always doing something exciting & made them feel incredibly special while still having the magical ability to make them eat their vegetables! My daughter danced with the village women's group in the boma after dinners & marshmallows were brought out every night for the kids to roast! In short, the kids were warmly welcomed, and didn't want to leave! ( Thank you to our butler, Colbert for dancing with our daughter!)
We loved the proximity of Varty camp to everything, so in the daytime, our kids were able to get around on their own. The rooms were beautiful, and since we needed two adjoining room for us and our kids, we also got two bathrooms, which was quite nice. The beds were so comfortable that the kids & I fell right asleep, but my husband would lie awake listening to the lions calling back and forth to each other. There was MORE than enough room, laundry was free, and if we stayed out longer than expected on a game drive, they were always willing to bring a tray of food to the room for us. Kate even rescheduled a meeting she was supposed to lead so that we could stay out longer watching an elusive leopard.
We were lucky enough to see ALL the big five while we were there! We also enjoyed watching a couple of lions hunting for impala & then a group of elephants kicking them out of their territory! We even saw a cheetah, which is not a very common sight in the area. Kate even scored us a great telescope so we could do some star gazing in the pristine night sky!
In all, I would highly recommend Lodolozi- it is pricey but worth it... the service is impeccable, they are TRULY a family lodge, and our expectations for an African safari were met & exceeded.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Londolozi Varty Camp, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear jmmathew,

Many thanks for such a detailed and kind review about the stay that you and your family had with us at Londolozi Varty Camp. I will be sure to pass it on to all the people you mentioned, in particular Cinzia and Kate.

We are so pleased that you exposed your children to the African wilderness and from what we have gathered it seems like they had the most amazing time in the Cubs Den and out on game drives.

You are correct in mentioning that we are truly a family lodge as this forms a huge part of our ethos and is something which we wish every guest who visits us to feel and experience.

Many thanks again for visiting and for the review,
The Londolozi Family

Been to Londolozi Varty Camp? Share your experiences!