“not so good” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“not so good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

my family and I had called to stay in on early apirl we arrived at the motel and it was really dark there was no lights what so ever on the left side of the motel however the front of the motel was in good shape and did have light . we walk in and it looks normal the front desk empolyee gives us a resanable price to stay . so I ask her if she could show us around to a room so she does there was many buldings we had to go through many doors as well which was kind of odd. we got to a section and it smells like wet dog . it was horrible the pool was a bit odd as well not to mention you have to lock it to get in and out . so the front desk employe shows us around to the room the beds looked really old and the pillows looks like they have not been changed the bathroom was ok but overall i did not like it . now we saw a suite and it was just like a normal standerized room except it had a balcony and the thing that botherd me was that there was no light at all ! so I was upset that there was no light to enjoy the view so what would be the whole point of staying if you cant see the view. we asked about breakfest and the lady said " well we have a waffle maker ". I am sorry but this hotel did not meet my standerds and it is a bit frightening how it is so dark . I dont recommend staying here

• Stayed April 2014
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
We apologize for your less than extraordinary visit. We pride ourselves on providing clean smelling, sanitary rooms that have multiple lamps. We are working very hard on remodeling our rooms and updating our exterior work. This is a lengthy process and we are still currently working towards completing these updates to our hotel. We extend our sincerest apology for the status of our hotel when you visited but we can assure you that you’ll have a wonderful experience next time you visit. If you would like to further discuss this review, please take the time to reach out to Cheryl at scrfrontdesk@yahoo.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Swiss Chalet off and on for decades. I like it. But, it is very old and need of renovation. The floors creak, the carpet is original (?), and it has the feel of a very old motel. Ice machine busted, though bags of ice were available in the lobby at no cost.

That said, my family enjoyed our stay! The rooms are big with plenty of room to spread out. Our beds were comfortable. The rooms were comfortably clean and stocked for our needs. If you ski at Ski Apache, it is one of the very closest locations for lodging you can get (while also being very close to all you need in Ruidoso.) The staff was very kind and helpful.

We did not eat on-site, as food service is only available certain days of the week. They do have a heated indoor pool that we enjoyed.

When I asked my family if they would stay there again, they said "sure!"

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an honest review. We view your observations as an opportunity for improvement. We appreciate the positive feedback about our rooms and the compliments about our staff. Thank you for your loyalty to return again in the future. We look forward to having you and your family as our guests again!
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

every year i attend the golden aspen motorcycle rally and every year my friends and myself stay at the swiss chalet no matter what time of year i make my reservation they always have a room for me yes the facility is undergoing renovations but keep in mind it is a business they cannot close the entire building down for construction i have found that for the age of the building it is in very good shape if i wanted 5 star accomidations i would stay else where but thier staff is 5 star i have never had a bad experience there so the ice machines may not work and u have to walk to the front desk to get ice big deal who couldnt use a nice refreshing stroll in the cool mountain air isnt that what u went to ruidoso for in the first place during the motorcycle rally most visitors are in their rooms by 10 pm and its quiet no holligans revving thier motors just good people enjoying what ruidoso has to offer the rooms are huge the beds comfy the lounge is first rate i will be there tomarrow 9-20-13 for the bike rally and look forward to staying at my second home the swiss chalet give it a try

Room Tip: rooms with balconys have great views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of friends after another friends wedding. The room was huge and was plenty big for five people. We had trouble with our ac but the maintinence guy was quick to help us, and was hilarious while trying to fix it. Place was clean, and just what I expected for the price.

• Stayed July 2013
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed in Ruidoso for 4 nights Dec. 26- Dec 30th. We needed a pet-friendly hotel. After checking the rates at all the pet-friendly places, and realizing that even with our government, AARP, and AAA discounts, all the rooms were over $110, plus pet fees (rates go up over the holidays), and since all the reviews we read for every pet-friendly hotel were terrible, I decided to take a chance on the Swiss Chalet. It was by far the cheapest and the pics looked the best. I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. I don't know why the other people had bad experiences. Maybe it was their attitude or expectations. I found the front desk staff to be very friendly. We stayed in one of the family rooms they offered and it was great. The carpet was typical motel room carpeting, in good shape, although it had a few stains on it, but I've stayed at many Quality Inn and Comfort Inns that had poor quality carpeting as well. The room was vacuumed every day for us, no litter or dust bunnies anywhere. The bathroom needed updating, but it was clean. It was, I think, one of the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in. Hats off to the housekeeping crew. The mattresses were old, but very comfortable. Slept great every night. The grounds and parking lot were also clean and free of papers and other debris. (I wish people would pick up after their dogs though.They ruin it for the rest of us pet owners). My only complaint was the ceiling wasn't insulated very good and we could hear the people upstairs walking around, but once again, I've experienced that in other motels as well. By 10:30 every night, all was always quiet. Our room did not have a fridge or micro either, but not every chain motel I've ever stayed in has them. I don't know why people expect that. That's what coolers are for. We have family that just moved to Ruidsos so we will be going there at least 3 times a year and I will definately be staying at the Swiss Chalet. Oh, and the front desk staff told me they are remodeing the rooms, but it will take awhile to get to them all completed.

Room Tip: If you need extra room for ski equipment or kids to play around, stay in one of the family rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
el paso
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I spend the New Year's weekend at the Swiss Chalet and looking at the website; the hotel looked fairly decent especially since we have our dog. finding hotels in Ruidoso that are pet friendly is difficult so the Swiss Chalet and their $25 fee was reasonable, rooms are $90 a night by the way. They do not offer government rates so that was a red flag for me. when we arrived at the hotel, we first saw that the condition of the outer structure was in need of repair. The lobby are was just disgusting, the carpets were trashed and smelled of mildew. Our room, there was not one aspect that I though was appealing, the carpets were disgusting the pillows were stained, the toilet tub and sink were a mess. The balcony door was broken and was being held shut by the security chain which is a safety hazard. There are no phones in the rooms either. the only time I have stayed in a worse living condition was when I was deployed to Iraq. The ice machines dont work anywhere in the hotel and you have to go to the lobby to retrieve a bag of ice, there are no microwaves in the room either. The hotel staff was rude and in the middle of me asking them a question, the young woman working the front desk told me she had to take a call from her cell phone, it was her boyfriend and she proceeded to have a random converstation instead of taking care of a paying guest. We didnt even bother to try the Bar and Grill as we didnt want to take a chance of eating their possible substandard food if the rest of the establishment was any refelction. All in all, I would never stay here again regardless of vacancy in all of Ruidoso. I can look past the outdated 1970s look of the hotel, but I cannot look past the sheer disregard and lack of pride that the hotel owners take in their establishment. Steer clear from the Swiss Chalet in Ruidoso, dont take the chance.

Room Tip: I would try the Best Western near the Billy the Kid Casino for families with pets.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I and two of our closest freinds along with my daughter and her firend stay at the hotel this past weekend. I dont know what happened to the other people in theese reviews but i have no complaints. The hotel does need uptating but so does every hotel in Ruidoso that wasnt built in the lase 5 to 8 years. THey are working on it but i do understand it takes time. the rooms were clean the food was EXELLENT! THe view was great and the staff was as friendly as i have ever seen in Ruidoso. i will stay there anytime i go back to Ruidoso.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Swiss Chalet Hotel? Share your experiences!