“Good Experience for a Trail Ride” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Attractions in Ruidoso
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
Attraction Details
Dallas, Texas
“Good Experience for a Trail Ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I've been on many trail rides in many different areas and this one was par for the course and what I expected it to be. It's not a fancy outfit but that's what I liked about it too. The horses followed each other because they are trained to do so for safety reasons; and, the horses are older but again they are probably retired horses that had a much more exciting life prior to being a trail horse. I enjoyed the scenery, being outdoors, and just getting to ride; things that I don't get to do on a regular basis. I wasn't looking for a long ride and from other vendors (which weren't open yet) I researched this place was competitively priced.

The drive from Ruidoso was not bad and the drive to the stables from the main highway was scenic. You really get a feel for how much of the land was scorched by the fires several years ago. Our trail guide actually told us that the stables were missed by the fire, although not by much, but they did loose a lot of stables (not horses) to a flood right after the fires.

Overall, I would return and bring my children with us next time. I am also glad this place was open because the other places I checked were not open yet. Our guide said Bonito is open year round.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“"Experienced" horseback rider”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Having been ranch-raised, and rodeo trained....I find it hilarious how "experienced" some people think they are. I have seen a woman say she "used to ride the circuit" and go put on a pair of chaps BACKWARDS. Folks...these horses cannot be perfectly matched for every person. The Runnels do the best they can to match you up with a horse you can handle, but if you tell them you are "very experienced", why would you be upset if they put you on something other than a dead-broke kid horse? After all...you told them how good you are. There are some folks who don't want to ride a "plug!" And...if a horse is climbing, sometimes they will lunge...which, you...with all your experience, might think is bucking. I know for a fact that Bonito Stables would never have a horse in their dude string that would buck. Do you think they want you to get hurt?? Come on!! They want you to enjoy your experience, see beautiful country and come back. Perhaps some of the help need some etiquette lessons, or some training in people skills...but they are there to help you with your horse, not hold your hand.

11 attraction reviews
“it was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

not the greatest trail, the horses were a bit older than expected. The guide was nice but for the price it should have been a bit better. However none of the other places were open due to time of year and the wind. We love riding horses so it was fine.

Clovis, New Mexico
“No one showed up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

So I cannot comment on the quality of the trail rides because we waited over an hour for someone to show up, and ended up leaving without getting to go on a ride. We called the number listed beforehand, and the message said that they didn't have phone or electricity at the stables but to come on up, they were there every day. It's a 30 minute drive out of Ruidoso, so it was a little disappointing to drive all the way there just to wait around.

Visited November 2013
Austin, Texas
“Nice ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The road getting to the stables got a bit rough on the car for the last three miles, but the ride was well worth it. We took the 1-hour ride option and our guide was nice and curteous.

Visited August 2013

Been to Bonito Stables? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bonito Stables, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.