“Some people don't belong in the mountains...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hombre Gordito

Alto Hombre Gordito
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ruidoso
Alto Hombre Gordito
You added Alto Hombre Gordito to your Saves list
Bonito Route, Highway 37 N, Ruidoso, NM 88355   |
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
Austin, Texas
“Some people don't belong in the mountains...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

After being a bit bemused by all the negative ratings from posters, I realized that all those negative comments are coming from the very same people you go on vacation to get away from. If you're anal retentive and worry about finding a hair on the floor, or if you think trees and bushes are dirty and need to be cleaned, or if you're looking for AAAAA+ room service, then this place is not for you. However, if you love the ruggedness of nature, and the beauty of wildlife that is really wild, then this is for you. Far away from the hustle and bustle of the more commercial lodgings and the Taco Bells and MacDonalds that line the city streets of Ruidoso, Hombre Gordito was refreshingly pristine and remote. More comfortable than camping, yet more rugged than the chain motels. Hombre Gordito was the perfect blend of wilderness and civilization. The hosts were gracious and helpful to us. As to the rudeness other posters have commented on, I can see where one might be rude when you have city-dwelling tenderfoots whining at you, and expecting to be waited on hand and foot while they're in the wilderness. The negative posters on here would certainly not be mistaken for pioneers or frontiersmen. In a way, they do everyone a favor with their negative posts by keeping tenderfoots out of the mountains, so the true connosieurs of life in the wild can appreciate the beauty of nature without all the whiners. Definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys wild country, and looks more to Kit Carson, rather than the Brady Bunch, for the perfect vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The website claims there is a playground for children, however it is a bunch of play equipment thrown together in a dirty area of the campground. It is covered in weeds!! You have to drive about thirty minutes out of Ruidoso to get to it then drive through a dirt road where many other trailers and houses are situated. You have to park in a tiny space and its a first come first serve basis. You get charged for making a campfire!!! Also you have to clean up after yourself and leave the premises as you found it. If you lose anything, your charged for it $5.00 for one fork!! The cabins are in fours and those are about ten feet away from the other cabins!! Hardly private. The owner and the lady working there were EXTREMELY rude!!! It is a complete rip off and I will NEVER return!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Where to begin....

Our first impression.. A older man acting more annoyed at being "FORCE" up from hs chair to take care of paying customers. A disgusting cat roaming across the reception desk. An office area that seemed to be a set on a horror movie; cobwebs, dust everywhere, a rack of hundred of old VCR tapes that had not been touched in years.

DOn't judge a book by its cover, correct? WRONG. Old man gave us a rude tongue lashing for trying to play with the ugly cat. Did not like us smiling at him. Was annoyed at our interest in getting to know the layout ofthe place. ....All this before even getting our RV pad or "COZY" rooms.

The roads throuh the site, HORRIBLE. The supposed nature trail behind the site, non-existant. The horse stables, a pig sty more than horse barn. Feces hasn't been picked up in months, maybe, years. Poor horses need tending to.

The rooms where actually OK. TIll we found out the sheets don't get change and most likely do not get washed, since we were told we would get charged if the beds were not made for the next patrons, WOW! The supposed cable tv was limited to 3 channels. The Wifi, what WIFI....?

All this would have been bareable since we were out in the woods and spending most of our time outdoors. The time spent with friends there, GREAT. Kids were having a good time in the overgrown, falling apart play gym. When..... Mr and Mrs Serious came down one of the unkept paths at over 20 mph. Got out of their Jeep in front of us and told us, " You need to leave, NOW. CHeck out was at 11am, is now 11:15!" I smiled. WRONG. Mr hospitality corrected me,..." I am not joking, I am very serious guy!" as he held on to our cabin keys.

We eventually got our stuff and left as soon as we could.

My recommendation,.............

STAY AWAY, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.
Your money is better spent somewhere that it is appreciated and looked forward to for return patronage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Los Lunas, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

When the owner/manager Francisco told me he got rich as a banker by “ripping” people off, I should have known that I was going to be the next victim! We had our family reunion where we have 40+ people stay over the Memorial Day weekend, 2010 and he told us that we had a “special rate”.

OWNERS LOVES A GOOD FIGHT & TO BE INTOXICATED: I informed her that we were not pleased with the service and that I would be filing a report with the Secretary of State and the BBB. Her unprofessional response to that with her fists waiving in the air was: “Bring it on! I LOVE a good fight!...The President of the United States is a personal friend of mine!”. Upon meeting both of the owners, they physically appeared to intoxicated and reeked of liquor!

DISCREPANCY IN FEES: I had a reservation for six and I was charged full price of $137.00 for 1 night. My aunt had a reservation for five and was charged $150.00 for 2 nights. When I spoke to Francisco about the discrepancy in the charge he basically called my family liars. I told him that I compared our receipts and of course everything was done truthfully. He refused to give me an explanation for the discrepancy.

SERVICES PAID FOR BUT NOT RENDERED: I told his wife that our television, VCR, and DVD players were not working and asked if she would give us a credit for a service that was paid for, but not rendered. She basically said that all is “as is” and that they NEVER give credits. I also let her know that we were unable to use the pool because they had just “shocked” the pool a few hours before check-in and the chlorine level was too high. I let them know that some of the kids in our party were so sick from the high level of chlorine that we had to put drops and tea-bags on their eyes and that they should wait at least 12 hours from when they “shock” the pool before they let anyone in the water.

FECAL MATTER ALL OVER GROUNDS: Additionally, there was what appeared to be dog, horse, and deer fecal matter practically everywhere you walk, yet they wanted us to pick up after our pets.

SPEED LIMIT & UNSAFE DRIVING: The speed limit sign states 10 mph, yet they drive their jeep at least 20 mph all through the sites with no regard for children, pedestrians or pets!

We will NEVER return here and DO NOT recommend that anyone else stay there. My family rented a total of five cabins and all of them were filthy! They were all full of dead insects and rodents and not equipped with toiletries. Feel free to see it for yourself….make sure to look underneath the bed and in every nook and cranny. Also, make sure to read the binder they have which lists the ridiculous fees they have listed for everything!

• Stayed May 2010
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Horrible drive way, unpaved, muddy and full of pot holes. The cabin are EVERYTHING BUT cozy. They are cold, DRY and dirty. Spiders are all over the place.

First night we got there, the toilet got clogged. This happened at 9 PM, and when we called the "office" NO ONE ANSWERED. We had the toilet clogged until the next day at 5 PM when the owner finally came to fix it.

On the third day of stay, we came back from dinner and THERE WAS NO WATER. Again, we tried to call the office BUT THERE WAS NO ANSWER. We could not shower, nor flush the toilet until the next morning when we finally packed and left this HORRIBLE place.

THERE IS NO ONE ANSWERING THE PHONE AFTER-HOURS. So if something happens in the cabin after 8 PM... IT'S UP TO YOU.

THERE IS NO wi-fi in the cabins, they claim to have cable TV, but there were ONLY 4-5 channels and the reception was aweful.

We chose this place cause it was supposed to be "dog friendly", then we were told that we were not supposed to leave the dog alone and free around the cabin. I wonder if these people thought that the dog would have come skiing with us or whatever...

PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE, there are a lot of other places in Ruidoso you can chose and many accept pets.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Upon arriving we were very excited to be in Riudoso, NM but were shocked to be greeted by a drunk forgetful staff, this was only the beginning. Throughout the night we were awoken by running rats and in the morning we were disgusted to notice droppings over the stove, counter tops, and kitchen plates. After traveling the past couple of years my room has always been replenished with fresh towels and have had the trash thrown out (as in the cabins in Alaska). This would not have been an issue but we had no idea where the dumpsters were. Unfortunately this was not the case and after a couple of days the towels needed to be replaced and the trash was piling up. Finally, we checked out and reported the issues we had and the only response we received were smart remarks. My advice is look into other placed because this is not the only pizza shop on the block.

• Stayed January 2010
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Hombre Gordito is a nice place if you're looking for somewhere quiet and away from town. We had a mountain view from our cabin window. You are close to Bonito Lake, Ski Apache and many other forest trails in the area. The owners are friendly and helpful and don't mind if you wander around the premises. Their horses and other pets are friendly too! If you like to view stars at night this is the place to be. The owners have a telescope to aid your viewing. You'll see plenty of wildlife here as well. Ruidoso is about 15 minutes away. They have a heated pool, dry sauna, video games, and horseback riding. Their RV sites are ROOMY.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Alto Hombre Gordito? Share your experiences!