“FUN PLACE TO STAY” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hombre Gordito

Alto Hombre Gordito
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ruidoso
Alto Hombre Gordito
Bonito Route, Highway 37 N, Ruidoso, NM 88355   |
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Ruidoso
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“FUN PLACE TO STAY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I stay at the resort often. Staff is friendly and always wants to help. We take our dogs which are welcome. What a great place to relax. Trails for hiking, minutes from the lake, minutes from Fly Js Ranch.

Room Tip: We have stayed in several cabins and they all seem good.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

The service and rooms rate below one star. Sheets looked disqusting and couch looked like it had been outside for a year. When I told them I wouldn't be staying the man at desk, John said I was ridiculous and wouldn't refund my money and was hesitant when I mentioned about seeing rooms. Please don't waste your time, money, and aggravation on this hideout hole.

• Stayed March 2012
Reyno, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I drove 1100 miles to be a workamper at Hombre Gordito and never in my life have I ever met the nicest two people, Jon & Peggy, in all the world. They welcome me with open arms and have brought me in the family.

The service that the staff provides is by far outstanding, and I have heard the remarks on the other owner. I was nervous at first too! But I am here now, listening to guests tell how much they have enjoyed the comforts and cleanliness of the cabins. They will be back they say, and I will be at the front desk with Peggy and Jon, ready to welcome each and everyone. So please don't hesitate, come and visit and say hi! We all promise our best!

Maureen B

Room Tip: There are several rooms with jacuzzi, and the Outpost Cabin sits high overlooking the Capitan Mounta...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Park Ridge, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

please dont be discouraged by all the bad reviews they are under new ownership and it MUCH better than before the new owners are from arizona they speak great english and are very friendly are hot tub did not work properly and they were very nice about it an credited are money back to us. the old owners were from europe and are going back, which they should because they ran a bad ranch. please go here its a good place take my word they need there reputation rebuilt because the old people made it crap.

Room Tip: you might want a car with four wheel drive as the roads there are dirt
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My wife and I travelled to the Hideout with our 11 y.o. son & three small dogs which were accomodated with open arms. When we arrived EVERYTHING was ready for our ski package and the staff and the owners welcomed us like family! Even our 3 mutts!!! I booked with them before reading all these negative reviews in Trip Advisor and was TERRIFIED. Turned out for no reason at all. The cabin accomodatons were very nice and clean and very spacious as well. The value for the price was FANTASTIC. All I can tell all the crybabies out there is to stay at the Four Seasons if you expect 4 Star accomodations; if you have a family and are on a budget and want a great place to stay, ALTO HOMBRE GORDITO is for you! We will definitely be going back - And thanks Hideout for a memorable vacation! - The Appel family.

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

The owners are THIEVES! They over-charged my credit card and refused to correct it. I am working with my credit card company to get this fixed. We bought a package deal with ski/snowboard equipment and lessons at Ski Apache. The owners refused to give us the lesson vouchers. They refused to refund the deposit on the ski/snowboard equipment after we returned them in perfect condition. Their answer to everything they did is "That is not my problem. Sue us." They are despicable people. This was on Christmas. They don't care. We called police to get back the money they stole on our credit card. The sheriff said they get calls non-stop from customers about these owners, they take advantage of out of town visitors because they can get away with it. Avoid this place, you will regret staying here as everyone at this place at the same time as us, has agreed! There was no heat in our cabin, they refused to sand the road to our cabin, so our senior citizen parents had to park at office and carry all belongings up hill to their room. The beds are old, disgusting. The rooms are filthy, kitchen gross. What a nightmare!

Room Tip: Avoid this place! Pancho cabin was dirty with no heat
Georgetown, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Since this was our first skiing trip ever, we picked Alto Hombre Gordito (AHG) cabins for a three night mid-week stay because they offered ski packages including cabin rental, equipment rental, lessons and lift tickets. Their bid was a total amount of over $1,200, which was not itemized. Not being a more savvy traveler, and since it was their last cabin available, we booked it.

The AHG web site promised discounts and avoiding standing in line at the resort. After going up to the resort, we found that we still needed to stand in line to turn in our vouchers for lessons and lift tickets. Since AHG neglected to tell us the lessons are first-come, first-served, we took our time getting there and spent two hours waiting for the lessons. Later, after checking out the cost of lift tickets, equipment rental and lessons at Ski Apache, and the cabin rental price listed on the AHG web site, I discovered AHG charged us over $500 more than if we had made all of our own arrangements. When I asked the owner if perhaps their charges hadn't been computed incorrectly and mentioned the $177 per night cabin rental listed on the AHG web site, he told me that was the non-holiday price and that during the holidays only ski packages are available.. To confirm what he said, I asked if the ski packages were the only thing available during the holidays and if they cost $500 more than at other times, and he agreed it would be $500 extra "or something".

If I were ever to go to Ski Apache again I would most certainly be more careful choosing lodging and make my own arrangements for equipment rental, lessons and lift tickets.

I cannot dispute any of the negative comments in the other reviews. I only wish I had checked out Tripadvisor.com before now.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Alto Hombre Gordito? Share your experiences!