“Unbelievable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp

You added andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp to your Saves list
andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Sabi Sand Game Reserve, Kruger National Park, South Africa   |
Calgary, Canada
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Kirkman's (Feb 2013 ) and had the most wonderful time. Aside from seeing the big 5 continually, was privileged to see the 10 week old baby leopard cubs. Also saw a roaring lion, along with the 3 prides. Night drives were amazing. Food, staff, rangers all top notch. Felt like I was staying with family and as a single traveller, it was wonderful to have people to share meals and drinks with. Highly recommend Kirkman's and will definitely be back, all the way from Canada!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, just the location changes. Lower numbered rooms are closer to the main...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at Kirkman's for 3 nights in mid-January. We have previously done safaris in Kenya and Tanzania and stayed at &Beyond lodges. This was one of the reasons we selected Kirkman's...we had wonderful experiences with their other lodges. We had a really nice time here and enjoyed the friendly, attentive work of the staff. Felicity Smyth, the lodge manager, was especially helpful and our butler, guide, tracker and other support workers were top notch. We stayed in a beautiful suite with everything you could want to make your stay memorable. One of the the other big reasons we selected Kirkman's was that is was in Sabi Sands...an area know for leopards. We had never seen a leopard in Kenya or Tanzania. And we were thrilled to see a leopard right after it brought down a water buck. We returned to the spot the next 2 days and saw him every time...guarding his prize and then hoisting it up into a tree!! In fact, we were no more than about 25 feet from him! It was incredible. Unfortunately, we had a bit of rain during 3 of our 6 game drives, making the experience less enjoyable. However, the rain never dulled the enthusiasm of our guide and tracker and never stopped us from having drinks and tea breaks. We also saw all the Big 5 (including a group of 4 rhinos right on the road) and a enough animals to keep our enthusiasm up and get some great photos. The food at Kirkman's was ok, but not fantastic...we expected better. We were also not fond of the "group dinners" in the bomba. But the wine and alcohol was great :-) It would have been nice if the management would work to bring in local entertainment/dancers. They had a small group of people singing and dancing for about 10 minutes at the group dinners, but they were employees of the lodge...kinda lame.

One fun experience not normally taken by guests was a trip into the local communities surrounding Kirkman's. We went with a local guy who lives in the community and is also a tracker at Kirkman's. It was really fun and fascinating to see and hear about the daily life of the local people.

The plus with Kirkman's and Sabi Sands is it is fairly easy to get to...you can drive or fly in. We drove ourselves the 6 hours from Johannesburg and enjoyed the trip--the roads are very good. You can also drive from Nelspurit, which is only about a 90 minute drive--or fly in to the local airstrip with is about 45 minutes or less. If you only have one opportunity to go on an African safari, I would go to Kenya (Marsai Mara) or Tanzania (Ngorongoro Crater). The number and variety of the animals in those two spots was astounding. &Beyond has excellent camps/lodges in each of those places.

Room Tip: Don't book trips to this area during January--it is their rainy season! All the rooms/suites ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Kirkman’s was the third andBeyond property I stayed at on a recent trip. I really liked its old-school, game lodge feel. The large rooms inside the main house featured big stuffed chairs and sofas and a lot of animal skulls and mounted heads. The dining area outside was delightful with a view of the Sand River below, where we sometimes saw elephants or water buffaloes.

The rooms are situated in duplexes along a footpath, but noise from the adjoining room wasn’t a problem though at times I could tell there was someone in there. Unlike some other reviewers, I didn’t feel like I was “on display” as people walked by, and indeed, felt that no one was one bit interested in peering in or even looking my way.

The room was large and very comfortable. There were the usual andBeyond amenities of exclusive soaps and toiletries, but unlike the other places I stayed at, there was a mini-fridge and jars of macadamia nuts and dried fruit–all nice touches. The bathroom featured an enormous deep tub and separate shower stall. The bath water, however, was often brownish and a little unnerving to see; on a night I was really tired and aching, however, I bit the bullet and soaked in it anyway with no ill results (lots of sudsy bath oil masked the color).

The staff were wonderful and friendly, and it seemed not to matter that I was under Moses’ care–anyone would offer a drink or snack when I sat down. Good coffee was served early enough before the morning game drive to suit any early riser, and the breakfasts afterwards were so filling I skipped them. Lunch featured a couple of choices on a menu, and I loved how it was always served with a tray of green salad, olives, pickles, feta cheese, and good rolls. One night we had dinner in the boma, and were entertained by the staff dressed in traditional costume, singing and dancing; truly delightful. According to one staffer, it’s a privilege to be selected for the lodge’s performing troupe, and their pride was evident.

It was quite warm during the day and the infinity pool was a welcome respite. If you are aching from all the sitting and barreling around the bush on a truck, be sure and book a massage with Zanelle, an experienced and fantastic massage therapist.

The game drives were amazing. Ranger Jason and tracker Jerry were a fantastic team. They combined all the best qualities of those from the other camps I stayed at--vast knowledge, humor, patience, and a real passion for what they were doing. It seemed no matter what animal or bird we wanted to see on any drive, they managed to conjure it up. We were often the first truck to leave in the morning and thus were well-situated for finding things and getting the best view. Jason and Jerry really knew the birds and accommodated me by stopping to identify them. Jason even arranged a special bush walk for me with another ranger instead of the morning game drive, and I really appreciated Ralph’s knowledge and enthusiasm.

I would definitely stay at Kirkman’s again, especially if I could book Jason and Jerry. It’s an older property and has a lot more character than the other places I’ve stayed, and is extremely comfortable and well-run.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was the best hotel
I have ever stayed at and Ive been to the best of LA, Chicago,New York and Las Vegas. They will treat you like royalty here. It is a couple of hours drive from the Nespruit airport. When I arrived they brought out fresh wet cloths to wipe the face and body and offered refreshments immediately. Everything was very intimate including the nightly dinners outside around the fire where there was dancing in the local traditions. At this time you really get to know other hotel guests and staff as you all dine at the same large banquet table. Recommend a massage , it was very unique. The swimming pool is a natural, the first I have seen like it, with an amazing view. Staffers escort you to your room in the evenings, beware of water buffalo come near the hotel. Stroll out in the mornings to see the lawn monkeys.
The only thing I didnt like was when I took a bath the water was brown and sandy. It comes from wells, Bring extra conditioner if you are female. You should pin or braid hair while on safari.My hair was ratty and tangled after and needed to go to a hairdresser to fix it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here three nights in early February, 2013. After having come from Kapama, two hours drive to the north, I was disappointed here. The game was sparse. They have lost their former access to the adjacent and much larger Mala Mala land, and it is my understanding from the rangers and trackers that has significantly reduced game viewing. They are part of a chain, and the "orientation" was a thinly disguised sales pitch for staying in their other lodges. The water is not potable, and so It is not advisable to have salad, veggies, or anything not uncapped at your table. Not recommended.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was traveling alone in Africa for 2 weeks and this was my 1st Safari! I was picked up from the local airport along with 2 other guests on my flight from JoBurg. It was about an hour drive to the lodge and we were greated by Lions when we entered the lodge; how nice! The lodge is very nice and the service was great! They did a different theme dinner every night and the food was very good. In addition to 2 Safari's per day, they did an optional mid-day hike which was a great way to work off some calories. The Safari Guide & tracker were locals and fantastic at what they did; we saw everything and they knew that land very well. One morning we were surprised with a gourmet breakfast in the bush with champagne; so nice! I also really enjoyed happy hour with cocktails and snacks on a ridge to watch the sunset! I was traveling alone and everyone bad me feel at home. This was a great experience that I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The cabins are in a long line so if you don't like to walk request it closer to the lodge.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just spent 4 wonderful days at Kirkman,s. The staff,service,and food was superb. We went to Thornybush next, what a terrible letdown!!!!!
Are friend from Paris who we travel with a great deal took some of the best photos of the animals I have seen,ala National Geographic

Anthony & Marcia Hill /Jean Mora

Room Tip: 13/14 The views from the balconies are terrific.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp? Share your experiences!