After researching the recommendations of many friends and associates who have traveled to Africa, I chose &Beyond as the group to spend my safari with. I had not decided whether to travel to Tanzania or to South Africa, so my travel consultant at &Beyond Anika Oosterhuizen had plenty of consulting to do. She was amazing, and I soon chose South Africa and had Anika plan my entire vacation in South Africa - from Cape Town, to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve, to her recommendation for Kirkman's Kamp in Sabi Sand.
Not only were our hotel accommodations throughout superb, but Anika's planning for our travel was perfect. Every transfer and air flight went smoothly and on time, including the four seater from Nelspruit to the landing strip at Skukuza airport right next to Sabi Sand. So much better than a three plus hour drive!
From the moment we arrived, we were treated so well, fed even better and LOVED our ranger Lennox Mathebula and our tracker Robert. After a sumptuous lunch, we were taken on our first game drive. Within 20 minutes we were graced with a herd of about 25 elephants. Such amazing animals. That first game drive (we had two drives per day - one in the morning and one in the late afternoon), we also saw zebra, giraffes, buffalo, kudu, impala and rhino. Three out of the big five and still 7 more drives to go!
Needless to say, we enjoyed every moment. The service could not have been better, each member of the staff was always on hand to serve. Our evenings in the boma were great. There was always some type of animal roaming the grounds, but we always were in the company of the camp's security just in case!
As we traveled in August, the mornings were chilly (gloves, hat or hood and a couple of fleece sweatshirts are needed), but by the afternoon we lazed at the infinity pool, where I was able to spot another herd of about 40 elephants across the ravine. What more could one ask for?
Our ranger, Lennox, who was specifically referenced in Frommer's guide to South Africa as the guide to ask for at Kirkman's, is very involved in the activities of the &Beyond Foundation, working with the surrounding communities. We asked that one afternoon he take us to see the projects that the foundation supports - education, water resources, community garden, conservation, anti-poaching, and assisting the community with accessible water resources. I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of this opportunity at Kirkman's or any of the &Beyond lodges in
Africa. It was quite a moving experience, and for anyone who wishes to support a project, a way
to personally support a worthwhile program in Africa.
We were sorry to leave even after four days, and I would jump on the opportunity to return.
By the way, we did see the big five, a couple of times over, but each time you see a lion or leopard you see them from a different perspective and it is aleays a new experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The spirit of safari comes alive at historic Kirkman’s Kamp. Step back in time into the gracious early settler atmosphere of this original 1920s homestead and marvel at the spectacular views of the unspoiled wilderness from each of the 18 guest cottages and the lodge’s rim-flow swimming pool. Rolling lawns carve out a niche in a wild and tumbling wilderness that hosts memorable game viewing in one of the most renowned Big Five wildlife regions in the world. Spacious sitting, dining and bar guest areas contain original mementos of a time long past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kirkman`s Kamp Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- AndBeyond Kirkman's Kamp South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve