We visited Lion Sands River Lodge as part of our 20th Anniversary holiday around South Africa .
The River Lodge is luxurious , great setting on the Sabie River and wonderful staff.
A typical day begins with 5am wake up call , light refreshments , 5.30 am game drive , 9.30 am sumptuous breakfast , free time to unwind at spa /pool till a hearty lunch , 4pm light refreshment before 4.30 game drive , 8pm dinner in a unique setting !!!
The game drives are the highlight and we had a fantastic passionate ranger (Ferdie) and an excellent tracker ( Rector) ......we saw the Big 5 within a couple of game drives and also saw a leopard kill , a pride of 11 lions , numerous zebras , impalas , various deer , rhinos , hippos , giraffes ,elephants and even the rare wild dogs !!
The short sundowners in the middle of the bush at just the right time and place was magical......amarula with hot chocolate in the morning and gin & tonic at dusk !!
The offroad drives to track leopards and lions was great ....didnt realize the land rovers could do so many things and go over bush , sand rivers and small trees so easily !!!
The rangers are very sensitive to the environment and animals and once they 'closed' the site to a leopard den as the mother had left the cubs alone and gone away.
Most sightings we were the only vehicle and at the most there was another one ....never more than 2 at a time .
Jabulani our butler was ever smiling and happy to make our stay perfect as possible !
The Sabi sand area is game rich , very private and expensive !!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned and managed since 1933, this International Award Winning private game reserve is located in the finest territory of the world famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve. It stretches for kilometers along the perennial Sabie River which forms its natural boundary with the Kruger National Park. The land is a place of rarity and carries with it a passion which can only be instilled by a great family history. Lion Sands has three different Lodges, Lion Sands River Lodge; Lion Sands Ivory Lodge and Lion Sands 1933, each with their own unique style and experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Lion Sands River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lion Sands River Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Lion Sands River Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve