“A camp with an old wordly difference” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sabi Sabi Selati Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Selati Camp
You added Sabi Sabi Selati Camp to your Saves list
Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, Kruger National Park 1350, South Africa   |
Melbourne, Australia
“A camp with an old wordly difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The camp was spaciously laid out with the accommodation first class. The food prepared for breakfast, lunch and dinner superb, the chef onsite is amazing! The camp host was attentive and looked after our every need. We had Alistair as our ranger and Mike as our local guide. Alistair loved lions, so we were treated to one of the most amazing experiences of night trekking with a large pride of lions, bashing our way through the bush at night, being part of the pride. When we stopped the vehicle, turned out the lights for a moment, and then re-lit the lights, we were surrounded by the pride only inches away from our vehicle, and the passengers inside, with lions eye-balling passengers. What were they thinking, no-one knows, and a truly memorable moment. Put this camp on your bucket list.

Room Tip: All rooms are as good as each other.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were warmly greeted by Carol and Clariza with hugs, cold flannels and homemade ginger beer.

I was in room 4 Albasini (all rooms are named after railway stations) which was furthest away from the main areas, but less than a minute’s walk.

I had a PV and also a private specialist guide, and our tracker was Dollan. I was pleasantly surprised by Dollan who was willing to go out really early in the morning (usually trackers only work the standard game drive times due to union restrictions) and he was always keen to track and spotted some really difficult game.

My private specialist guide, Mike Karantonis of Africa Direct (www.africadirect.co.za), was absolutely amazing. I could never have imagined the high level of service, professionalism and dedication that would be given. Nothing was too much trouble, and he always made sure that every little wish was met, no matter how small. From ensuring that I always had one of the quietest rooms in camp, to requesting favourite meals from the chef, to carrying my camera bag everywhere. He gave so much of his time and of himself and spend his entire day trying to ensure that I had the best holiday ever.

Out of all the lodges I’ve stayed at, I must say that the food at Selati Camp was the best and my thanks go to the chef Gift who went to the trouble of cooking my favourite meals for dinner and also the Selati Special for breakfast (although this hasn’t been on the menu for over a year now).
There is a good wifi signal in the main areas. Each evening there would be a card left with the next day’s weather forecast.

On just one day we saw a lion pride next to the camp and in the afternoon, from the main deck, we saw a lioness chase a bushbuck. Later that day there was also a large herd of elephant and a leopard viewed from the same deck.

People often say that one problem with the Sabi Sands is that they think that sighting are limited to 10 minutes or so. Over my four days we spent 1½hrs one morning at the wild dog den, watching the adults bring out all the pups who then played for a while until the adults started returning and feeding the pups. We also spent an hour or more with a pride of lions and on the last afternoon there was a relaxed serval that we watched for nearly 2 hours while it hunted.

At Selati, I don’t feel like a guest, I am a very special VIP visiting the home of friends. I cannot recommend Selati Camp highly enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have just come back from 5 days spent at Selati camp , inside the Sabi Sabi private game reserve. We stayed at the Presidential Ivory Suite and i have to admit that it is the most charming place where i spent my holidays. Moreover, booking the Ivory suite mean having a dedicated land rover with the ranger and the tracker.The federal air flight arrive in an airstrip in the middle of the savana, your dedicated ranger is waiting for you and after 45 minutes drive in the bush you arrive at the lodge. Our dedicated ranger was Salomon and thank to him every day has been a new adventure in an amazing natural set up.He teached us thowsand of things about animals, threes and stars! Salomon was working in team with one of the most expert tracker of the Sabi Sabi: Mike. Both have spend a lot of energy in making sure that We see all the BIG 5 ..and We did, almost every days! After few days we felt to spend time with 2 long dated friends. If you can, try to spend more than 2 or 3 nights as everybody does: you Will have the possibility to see the same animals in completly different situations, when they eat, they drink in a small lake, when they hunt or they fight.
The lodge is managed by Carol and she is really efficient, active ,kind and she always want to be sure that your dream is realised. And what about food? Well this is a real problem: you Will eat all day long: early coffe in the morning before the morning safari with coffe and superb muffins and biscuits. After the safari you Will have an american breakfast with..whatever you want. Afternoon tea with salmon sandwiches, pastries, biscuits , lunch with a selection of salads, soup, burgers, wraps, and in the evening a 4 courses dinner by the stellar chef Bennet. Carol Will make sure that every evening the set up of your dinner Will be different : one day you Will eat at a table with your partner, another evening she can arrange a romantic in room dining, or an open air dinner with the other guets warmed by a big fire... I can spend hours in describing how magic was this holidays but i don't want to anticipate Too much: please, go there!
7 stars was a more adeguate rating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We decided to do a last minute booking at Sabi Sabi Selati Lodge because we had previously stayed at Bush Lodge and loved every moment. Being slightly more expensive and a much smaller camp than Bush Lodge we had high expectations. Unfortunately the pictures on the internet are of the luxury suite and not the standard room we stayed in. Our room was small, had no privacy, overlooked the common area, had no bush view, had no patio to sit on and the bathroom was rather disappointing (Komatipoort room). Just a note for the management: the bed end gets in the way of taller guests and your air-conditioning unit is noisy as it cuts in and out.

Our expectations of an exclusive lodge with magnificent views from the suites were certainly not met. We immediately checked into Bush Lodge and were much happier.

The reason I am giving 5 stars to Selati is because it is a more intimate camp and although the rooms are not to my liking they are beautifully decorated and maintained. The camp is luxurious and if the service and game drives are anything like Bush Camps... then the experience will blow you away.

Selati is an older camp that will probably appeal to many people wanting a quiet place to stay with a lot of "Old world" charm. The camp is themed around the old Selati Railway that used to go through the area and has some lovely items dating back to that period.

The lodge manager explained to us that the Sabi Sabi Lodges are based on the theme "yesterday, today and tomorrow" with Selati being yesterday. Unfortunately if you are not a "yesterday" kind of person you will probably not love this camp.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
glossop
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Our first safari and everyone at Selati made a magical experience which we will never forget. The intimate setting, warmth and hospitality from the Carol and all the team, our amazing guide Alistair and tracker Mike made our stay truly memorable. We felt like we had been transported back in time and the peace and quiet of the camp gave us additional time and space to enjoy the views and the wildlife. It was an experience that I will never forget, and it touched my soul.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This was my second visit to Selati Camp and it just kept getting better.

The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is huge. A private terrace. The enclosed outdoor shower is a godsend as I've always felt too nervous to use outside showers before as I'm blind as a bat when I take my glasses off (as you do when you're having a shower). Huge bed with mosquito netting.

The food is plentiful, well-cooked, colourful and so tasty. Always served with a smile, and nothing is too much trouble. Carol, the camp manager, was the perfect host.

At night, the camp and your room are lit by oil lanterns (but don't worry, you can switch the lights on if you want) which adds to the atmosphere and you really start to appreciate the fact that you're out in the middle of this amazing wilderness.

Game drives were amazing and the kitchen never complained when we arrived back late, after being caught up in an enthralling sighting.

There aren't many lodges I return to again and again, but I can't forsee a time when I won't be happy to return to Selati.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My wife and I split our vacation time between Selati Camp and Earth Lodge as part of a special promotion Sabi Sabi was doing. Selati Camp is quite small with just a handful of bungalows. With the limited number of guests and the friendly guides and staff, you feel like you are among family at Selati Camp. After dinner at the BOMA the guests would gather together along with the staff and guides by the bar and tell stories and jokes and generally have a good time.

The accomodations are luxurious but still convey the feeling that you are indeed on safari in Africa. I would call it stylishly rustic. We never wanted for anything during our stay.

There are two game drives per day. One early in the morning and one in the afternoon. Your guide will be by early in the morning for a wake-up call. Not being a morning person, I thought this would be a real challenge. But I found that the anticipation of the upcoming game drive made getting up early an easy task. By day 2 we had already seen the big 5 along with scores of giraffe, zebra, impala, wildebeast, kudu, monkeys, ...

One last piece of advice. When the guide says no sudden movements in the vehicle, that is no joke. You will be AMAZINGLY close to some dangerous animals.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sabi Sabi Selati Camp? Share your experiences!