My parents and I stayed at Elephant Plains for two nights in April. I've been working in Malawi this year, and my parents flew from the West Coast of the US to meet me in South Africa for a vacation. It was very important to me that they have a wonderful time. I had been advised that we should spend a couple days at a private game reserve for the best safari experience, and after reading a lot of reviews I settled on Elephant Plains. It was probably my parents' favorite part of our vacation, so I'm very happy we came!
I think that what makes Elephant Plains stand out is the dedication of the staff. From the waiters to the guides, people take pride in their work and making sure guests have the best experience possible. It shows.
Although we only stayed two nights, we were lucky to see a large variety of game. The guides can't control the animals' movements on and off the the reserve, but if they are on the reserve they work very hard to find them. Our guide Dawie knowledgeably and patiently answered all of our questions, and he seemed just as excited as we were to see and photograph the animals. Patrick was incredibly focused and alert at 5am in a way I can barely muster after 5 cups of black coffee. We were lucky to see a mother leopard and cub (the cub was stalking a giraffe!), a coalition of male lions, elephants and rhino in close proximity, and many other incredible creatures (fighting zebras, fighting impala, mating waterbuck...). Yes, we checked off the big 5, but we saw so much more.
The accommodations and food were also lovely. I think my only request would be for an elliptical trainer in the gym--but how ridiculously picky is that?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. This owner-run lodge caters for the discerning traveller, with a variety of accommodation options including 5 Rondavels, 6 Luxury Suites and a Honeymoon Suite. Activities include two daily game drives and a bush walk. The lodge also offers a spa, gym, conference facility / TV room, games room, small library and two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels, Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Elephant Plains Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Plains Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Nelspruit
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve