“Amazing place, great staff, a must stay” 5 of 5 stars

You added Elephant Plains Game Lodge to your Saves list
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Kruger National Park 1380, South Africa   |
Saskatoon, Canada
“Amazing place, great staff, a must stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on our first week of our African adventure. We were welcomed by the manager, and greeted by our game guide when we arrived, and even though it was pouring rain, our guide, Dawie and his tracker Patrick, were as enthusiastic as us about heading on a drive in the rain. My friend fell ill on her stay, and the staff was exceedingly helpful in helping her recover from her bout of stomach flu, and I was more than entertained on the game drives and bush walks. An absolutely lovely place to stay, with some of the friendliest staff I have ever met. Food was amazing too. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: The luxury suites are a must. We had the leopard suite and could see game from our balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
EP2, Owner at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Luckily your friend recovered quickly from her illness. I will make sure that the staff also receive your nice compliment on their friendliness. Please do visit us again one day! Regards, Marlet Swart

466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wow about sums it up with regards to Elephant Plains, what an amazing week I spent there. The accommodation was perfect I would not have changed a thing or maybe I would to stay longer. I stayed in Number 4 which had a great situation very close to the sun deck and pool and a great view over the plain (only number 5 has a better view). The rooms were perfect with everything I needed. I was traveling alone for a photography workshop based at the lodge and when not with the group of fellow photographers (I arrived a day early and stayed an extra day) my ranger would join me for meals Monte was excellent so much knowledge about the bush and its creatures all of which he loved to share....thank you Monte for making the stay even more special. The dining experiences were also great, especially breakfast, however dinner was made that little bit more special by sitting around the bona each evening and each night was round off with toasting marshmallows over the fire, perfect ends to perfect days. The lodge also has a great selection of wines to go with the meals. Let’s not forget the Spa I had a lovely massage in the spa where it looks out over the watering hole not many places could create a more relaxing atmosphere. All of the staff at |elephant plan could not have been more helpful and pleasant, Walter the barman was super tell him, your room once and you were sorted for ordering drinks. The waiters Mohammed and Remember looked after us so well, with Remember having his own special greeting each time you saw him. I cannot begin to name all the staff but every single one of them was excellent.
Now for the main event the game drives, I cannot put into words the quality of these. I arrived 15 mins before the first drive from my flight and dashed to make the vehicle, and boy I'm so pleased I did. We drove out of the gates onto a small plain where Impala, warthog and wildebeest played, amazing. That evening was brilliant with elephant, leopard, Buffalo all part of the sighting, 3 of the big 5 in one drives, within 3 days I had seen all 5 including not just lions but male lions and leopards with cubs (on all but one of my drives we saw leopards which was wonderful. Monte our ranger and derrick our tracker worked hard to make sure we saw every animal we wanted to see and would make sure if there had been a sighting of something we wanted to see he was quickly off the find the animal whilst at the same time making sure we were comfortable and safe, even down to ensuring branches and twigs cleared us if we were going off road. On one of our sightings we found Shadow one of the leopards with her cubs we pulled the vehicle so we could all see her but she moved as she was not happy with us being so close to her cubs, however she moved very close to Derrick snarling at him, It was unbelievable how he just sat still until it was safe to move the vehicle, all the time the guessed felt totally safe but I’m not sure about poor Derrick up front.
The purpose of my trip was for a photography workshop run by Natural Exposure, again this was excellent and I would recommend this workshop to not just advanced photographers but beginners as well Sean Patrick the guide and photographer whilst an amazing photographer also has the skills to share his knowledge of both photography and the bush, the passion for both very apparent and his skills second to none.
In summary a five star holiday and experience that will remain with me forever, thank you Elephant Plains for a truly wonderful experience, I will be back that’s for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Room Tip: room 4 or 5 for the best views if not booking a luxury suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hi Mandy, thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's good to read that you had some great photographic opportunities with Sean Patrick. Thanks for calling us a 5 star holiday! Please visit us again some time. Regards, Marlet Swart
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The lodge is beautiful, people are very friendly with guests.
Thanks to our guide "Morné" who is able to communicate with lions ..... Didn't work so much last week ;)
If you want to see Leopards, that's the right place to be.... Sometimes you do not even need to do the game drive, they are coming in the camp to visit you :)
The only negatif point is the food, nothing special, basic European food (we are in Africa !!).
2 swimming pools ....
Wake up at 5:20 AM, game drive at 6AM, breakfast at 9AM, lunch at 2PM, second game drive at 4PM and dinner at 8PM, possibility to have a walk in the bush at 10AM.
Please enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are glad hat you enjoyed your stay with us. Concerning our menu selection, we do have a variety of South African dishes, including game meat, leg fo lamb, traditional braaivleis, baboti and even milk tart. But we also try to provide a wider selection of different food styles, in order to please a wide variety of tastes... Do visit us again one day! Regards, Marlet Swart
goxhill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I had our second visit to this wonderful game lodge a few weeks ago. The experience was excellent and we were lucky enough to see the Big Five for the second time. In every repect this is a wonderful place to visit. The game drives were great, the food was of a high standard and the staff (especially Louis the ranger who drove our vehicle) were so accommodating and friendly. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
EP2, Owner at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind feedback! We are delighted that you once again enjoyed your stay with us. It is always the best compliment to have return guests at the lodge and I hope that in the very near future, we welcome you back for your third visit. Kind regards, Marlet Swart
Bremen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and me just wanted to relax on a decent lodge! We stayed 3 nights in February 2013 an we surely didn´t regret! We stayed in one of these nice rondavels with a big sized bed with a large mosquito net and a decent bathroom for shower, bathing tub and anything else. Everything well equipped and clean. Wonderful view into the valley. We hard working people love to sleep long. Wakeup call at 4:30h am, a mug of coffee and safari begins at 5:00h. Very competed rangers in well maintained rovers drive You around. They know a lot and seem to figure out every movement of any animal around. You will have breaks on the trips with coffee, tea and a little snack. At 8:30h they bring You back and You will face an opulent breakfast. Later they will take You out for another safari, than again break and lunch. Later the big afternoon- safari and so forth.... unbelievable!, You will make the big five in less than one day and still you can enjoy the lounge with all the convenience. The dinner is a very special event. You sit in an big round around an open log fire place and enjoy most excellent barbecue (braai). The wine list covers good to very good reds. The staff is always very busy and kind. The only negative aspect gave the abundantly presented tip- envelopes on check out. So we gave tip in between for good service but I think it is a bad habit to urge the guest. Superfluously the bill on check out was not correct. The same happened to others check outs the same morning! So You should be aware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EP2, Owner at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi Louis, thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I would like to respond to your comment of "abundantly presented tip envelopes" at check-out. Our guests usually ask for tip envelopes to leave their tips in. Therefore we place them on the counter just before check-out starts so that guests can fetch it themselves before check-out, if they would like to leave a tip. We have never urged any guest to leave a tip and as a norm tips are only meant for services offered above your expectation. Not as a given. Concerning your bar bill, I am unsure what happened there as I wasn't called to sort it out, but I am sure that whatever you did not have was removed from your bill before you paid. Please be ensured of our best and honest intentions at all times and that an incident like this would never be intentional. Regards, Marlet Swart
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just left EP after staying 3 nights/4days. We feel so blessed to have had such an amazing experience. This was our first destination in Africa and our first safari experience, so we arrived not only jet lagged (30 hour flight), but also a little nervous of the unknown. Our nerves were completely put at ease by the welcoming reception we received by the EP staff. We were greeted with a refreshing drink and help with our bags by Walter. Due to a flight delay we arrived right as the evening game drive was departing. Our ranger Louis and his tracker Fanuti offered to come back for us in 30 minutes to give us an opportunity to check-in and change. We were so appreciative that they accommodated out late arrival and this set the tone for the rest of our stay.

Safari: there are two game drives per day. You have a 4:50am wake up call for the morning game drive the departs at 5:30am returning back to the lodge at 8:00am for breakfast. The evening drive leaves at 4:00pm and returns at 7:00pm giving you plenty of time to change and grab a drink at the bar before the 8:00pm dinner. Dress in layers, it's cold when the sun is down. If you have a choice go with Louis and Fanuti. They both seem to be the most experienced and always were the ones to track and locate animals. We saw the big 5 and more thanks to their great skills. Plus they were not stuck on getting us back to the lodge if the 3 hours passed. If they were tracking they would go until they found the animal. FYI - All of the rangers were in constant communication with each other and location of animals was always shared!

Length of Stay: We stayed 3nights/4 days and participated in 6 game drives. I think this should be the minimum stay if you want time to soak it all in and see a variety of Animals.

Helpful Tips: 1.) rest in between drives. Take advantage of the spa and pool. I had the stress reliever massage and it was amazing! 2.) go to every game drive. You don't want to be that person that misses a huge sighting just because you chose to sleep in. 3.) the water is filtered and drinkable 4.) each room has mosquito repellent. We didn't see many Mosquitos but didn't miss the opportunity to take precautions. 5.) participate in the bush walk. Wear long pants and closed shoes. 6.) gratuity is appreciated. We tipped out tracker and ranger after our last drive. We tipped out ranger 100 Rand per drive and our tracker 50 Rand per drive. There are Envelopes At the reception desk for gratuities.

Food: my husband and I are vegetarians and they accommodated our diets during every meal. It was fantastic!

Accommodation: We stayed in the Rhino luxury suite and enjoyed it! The room was luxurious and very clean and comfortable. We didn't see any bugs and enjoyed our balcony view of the waterhole. At night we found the noises of the animals to be very relaxing!

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013
Hi AJ, thank you for your kind and thorough feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and would love to welcome you back to the lodge one day! Regards, Marlet Swart

Been to Elephant Plains Game Lodge? Share your experiences!