Wow about sums it up with regards to Elephant Plains, what an amazing week I spent there. The accommodation was perfect I would not have changed a thing or maybe I would to stay longer. I stayed in Number 4 which had a great situation very close to the sun deck and pool and a great view over the plain (only number 5 has a better view). The rooms were perfect with everything I needed. I was traveling alone for a photography workshop based at the lodge and when not with the group of fellow photographers (I arrived a day early and stayed an extra day) my ranger would join me for meals Monte was excellent so much knowledge about the bush and its creatures all of which he loved to share....thank you Monte for making the stay even more special. The dining experiences were also great, especially breakfast, however dinner was made that little bit more special by sitting around the bona each evening and each night was round off with toasting marshmallows over the fire, perfect ends to perfect days. The lodge also has a great selection of wines to go with the meals. Let’s not forget the Spa I had a lovely massage in the spa where it looks out over the watering hole not many places could create a more relaxing atmosphere. All of the staff at |elephant plan could not have been more helpful and pleasant, Walter the barman was super tell him, your room once and you were sorted for ordering drinks. The waiters Mohammed and Remember looked after us so well, with Remember having his own special greeting each time you saw him. I cannot begin to name all the staff but every single one of them was excellent.
Now for the main event the game drives, I cannot put into words the quality of these. I arrived 15 mins before the first drive from my flight and dashed to make the vehicle, and boy I'm so pleased I did. We drove out of the gates onto a small plain where Impala, warthog and wildebeest played, amazing. That evening was brilliant with elephant, leopard, Buffalo all part of the sighting, 3 of the big 5 in one drives, within 3 days I had seen all 5 including not just lions but male lions and leopards with cubs (on all but one of my drives we saw leopards which was wonderful. Monte our ranger and derrick our tracker worked hard to make sure we saw every animal we wanted to see and would make sure if there had been a sighting of something we wanted to see he was quickly off the find the animal whilst at the same time making sure we were comfortable and safe, even down to ensuring branches and twigs cleared us if we were going off road. On one of our sightings we found Shadow one of the leopards with her cubs we pulled the vehicle so we could all see her but she moved as she was not happy with us being so close to her cubs, however she moved very close to Derrick snarling at him, It was unbelievable how he just sat still until it was safe to move the vehicle, all the time the guessed felt totally safe but I’m not sure about poor Derrick up front.
The purpose of my trip was for a photography workshop run by Natural Exposure, again this was excellent and I would recommend this workshop to not just advanced photographers but beginners as well Sean Patrick the guide and photographer whilst an amazing photographer also has the skills to share his knowledge of both photography and the bush, the passion for both very apparent and his skills second to none.
In summary a five star holiday and experience that will remain with me forever, thank you Elephant Plains for a truly wonderful experience, I will be back that’s for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. This owner-run lodge caters for the discerning traveller, with a variety of accommodation options including 5 Rondavels, 6 Luxury Suites and a Honeymoon Suite. Activities include two daily game drives and a bush walk. The lodge also offers a spa, gym, conference facility / TV room, games room, small library and two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels, Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Elephant Plains Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Plains Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Nelspruit
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve