We stayed 4 nights at Elephant Plains game lodge in mid march 2013. We travelled with our 3 teenage kids and stayed in 2 Rondavels, 1 double and 1 triple. All the wonderful reviews on tripadvisor contributed to our decision to book EP and pushed our expectations to a level where it was very easy to be disappointed. Fortunately, Not only EP did not disappoint, but managed to surpass our already high expectations.
THE GAME DRIVES
Absolutely amazing!! Our ranger Morné and our tracker Derrick were very professional and service oriented, making sure we do not miss any action. Together, they have more than 30 years experience of the bush and their insight into animal behavior was fascinating.
We saw the big 5 after 3 game drives. We saw leopards on 5 out of 7 game drives, including a female and her cub with their kill. We saw elephants, and on one occasion, spent 45 minutes with a herd of 30 + elephants around us practically touching the jeep.
We saw lions on 3 out of the 7 game drives including a pride of 9-10 lions on 1 occasion, and a lioness with her kill, a month old giraffe.
We saw hippos, rhino, buffalos, many giraffes, a crocodile, hyenas, zebras, wilderbeast, warthogs, impalas...etc. A special treat was seeing a female cheetah with her 2 cubs, walking in front of our jeep for almost half an hour. A black mamba resting on the dirt road and fleeing after being surprised by our jeep was another unexpected and exciting moment. No wonder our kids and us looked foward for the 5 am wake up knock!
The natural setting is beautiful, bordering on a dry riverbed and overlooking a waterhole around which gather many animals, including on 1 occasion a herd of 10 elephants.
The grounds are very nice , clean and luxurious, without being over the top.
The rondavels were very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge. They were as good as new.
Dinners were very good, whether in the main dinning room or around the boma, under the stars of the African sky.
Breakfast and lunch were excellent.
Professional and kind, without exception. Our waitress , Lindy, asked for our names the first day and remembered them for 4 days, always addressing us by our first names. This kind of personal attention felt wonderful and should not be taken for granted, despite the fact that the lodge caters for a maximum of only 24-25 guests.
Everything at EP makes you wish you never have to leave. Our morning of departure was the only 'bad ' moment we had during our stay.
We will surely come back, but this time we'll try to stay longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. This owner-run lodge caters for the discerning traveller, with a variety of accommodation options including 5 Rondavels, 6 Luxury Suites and a Honeymoon Suite. Activities include two daily game drives and a bush walk. The lodge also offers a spa, gym, conference facility / TV room, games room, small library and two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Elephant Plains Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Plains Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Nelspruit
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve