This was our second trip to EP in two years, both times were for over a week, and we still loved every minute of it.
The Lodging: We stayed in Rondavel #5, great room that looks over the riverbed.
The Drives: We had Willie and Conny, they both worked very hard at finding the animals. We saw the big five the first day and the sightings just got better as the week went on. Leopards on two kills, three leopard cubs, lots of baby elephants, hippos out of the water, carmine bee eaters.
The Food: Some of the food was great, however, there were a few misses in the food prep. Some of the dishes at lunch would be hot around the edges but still cold in the middle, dishes like the Game Keepers Pie had a large number of bone chips and fragments, the fish still had a large amount of bones and all the steaks were done medium regardless of what you asked for. Maybe this was because the regular Chef didn't return until part way through the week. I had more concerns with the food this year than I did last year. The serving staff are all great, one server ironically named "Remember", rememberd me visiting 12 months prior and my drink order. Quite a feat when you consider the turnover in guests they see!
The Spa: Atasja was fantastic, I went twice as did most of the people in our group. Over the course of our stay everyone on our truck went at least once and everyone found her great!
The Gym: In spite of my earlier review the gym needs some heavier weights, a 25lb free weight doesn't really cut it (I think 30-50 lbs is needed for any regular sized guy working out), also the cable machine needs maintance the resistance is way off on it (it just needs some silicone spray). The gym, while small is very clean, towels provided and AirConed.
The pools: The lodge has three pools, one attached to the honeymoon suite, the other by the lodge and the larger one by the rondavels. The one by the rondavels was broken again this year.
1. If you stay in Rondavel #5, the flashlight is in the desk and "Do Not Disturb" sign is in the closet (it took us a week to find both :) ).
2. There is a power adapter in the room which is handy even if you bring your own to charge multiple things at the same time.
3. If you read at night and want a higher wattage bulb ask and they will switch them out for you.
4. This should be Tip 1: Ask. Ask. Ask. The staff aren't mind readers and honestly want you to enjoy yourself. If you have a special request, ask. We had four request before we arrived and two while we were there and they were able to accommodate all of them. The manager, Wayne was there day and night during our entire week and both owners were there for the last half of the week.
5. Don't panic when the ranger and tracker leave the truck. They are gone to find animals that may be a few hundred feet off the path. If you prefer the ranger stay in the truck and just drive around you won't see nearly as much.
6. Tell the ranger and tracker what you want to see. Some people don't want to see birds, reptiles or insects so if you do give them a list and I bet they can find them. I had wanted to photograph bee eaters and Willie found both Carmine and European bee eaters.
7. The lounge chairs by both pools (and the honeymoon suite) are too slippery to sit on with the back up so if you want to read slide you chair up against the rail you can brace yourself in with your feet. Odd but effective!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. This owner-run lodge caters for the discerning traveller, with a variety of accommodation options including 5 Rondavels, 6 Luxury Suites and a Honeymoon Suite. Activities include two daily game drives and a bush walk. The lodge also offers a spa, gym, conference facility / TV room, games room, small library and two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Elephant Plains Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Plains Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Nelspruit
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve