“Fantastic first safari - makes me want to come back often” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Londolozi Private Game Reserve

and 1 more site!
You added Londolozi Private Game Reserve to your Saves list
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Londolozi, Sabi Sands Game Reserve, Kruger National Park 1350, South Africa   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco
“Fantastic first safari - makes me want to come back often”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I went to South Africa with another couple and visited Londolozi as well as Victoria Falls in Zambia and Cape Town, SA.

We spent four nights in Londolozi, and they were spectacular. I have never experienced such a high level of luxury and service. The moment we arrived (by a 12-seater prop plane from Jo'berg to Londolozi's private landing strip), we had a fantastic time. We were greeted by our guide/ranger (Lucien) who packed our luggage onto the Range Rover and excitedly told us that he had seen lions on his way out to the strip. Moments later, we were viewing three lions lounging in the sun. Amazing. Lucien was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. He is an outstanding guide.

We stayed at the Granite camp, which has only three suites (our party had two of them). It was stunning, comfortable, wonderful. The rooms were gigantic and beautiful, with a huge king bed with mosquito netting (romantic and practical!), a beautiful bathroom with soaking tub, indoor and outdoor showers, and a living room area. It had a fridge and bar, with everything you'd need for a G&T. And, of course, a private pool off the deck. One afternoon we watched a herd of about 30 or 40 elephants walk right past our pool. So amazing. My only slight regret about the room is that we barely spent any time there. One small note: these are "camps" in the sense that they are out in the elements. Therefore, the rooms will show some wear and are less than "brand new perfect" (for example, our shower didn't drain perfectly). This didn't bother me at all: frankly it added to the charm and magnificence of the place that they could provide such luxury in such a rough environment.

The safaris - two per day, about four hours each - were fantastic. We saw so much wildlife, including the big cats (lions, leopards, cheetah), elephants, zebra, rhino, cape buffalo, monkeys, hippo and more. Each safari was different (a different area of the reserve), and each one seemed better than the last. We went on 8 safaris in our four days, and could have easily done more. The safaris were comfortable (6 people in a 9-person Range Rover), and elegant. In the morning, we had a stop for coffee, and in the evening we had cocktail hour, with fresh made G&Ts.

The food was incredible - buffet breakfast with made-to-order eggs, sumptuous lunches with three different salads, meat, vegetables, and amazing, over-the-top dinners that were each unique. I found the food to be incredibly good and not overly fancy, which was just perfect. It was the best food I've ever had at a resort.

The staff was friendly, accommodating and helpful. They memorized all of our likes and dislikes (no cream in my coffee, no cheese ever), and always got it right. They were attentive and made sure everything was perfect. It is so incredibly luxurious to return from morning safari to have a perfect breakfast waiting, hot coffee poured the moment you sit down, your favorite eggs on the way.

Londolozi is not inexpensive. But I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was the trip of a lifetime. I hope to go back.

Room Tip: All the camps looked great. Granite was spectacular. Pick based on how you're travelling (i.e...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Dick C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful stories of your stay with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time and we look so forward to welcoming you back in the near future! I will be sure to send your thanks onto the Granite family!

Much love,
Your Londolozi family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
São Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great hotel!
Great food!
Great staff!
We had a wonderfull time and realy felt like special guest on that hotel!
The Game drives were awesome, even on a rainy day like today!
Lots of activities and also peace and quiet!
We had a lot of fun here!
Hope to come back some other time!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear AndreaGold,

We look forward to welcoming you back to Londolozi in the future. Thank you for the review.

St. Louis Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed at Londolozi Varty camp. This was our best experience in over 200,000 miles of world wide travel. After arriving we learned that this hotel was rated as the best small hotel in the world and this rating truly matches our experience.

We booked our reservation through Helen Kirby at Rhino Africa. She took care of all of the details from travel from Johannesburg, bookings etc. The price at first seems a bit much but when you consider what you get it is well worth it. All meals, all drinks, two 3 hour land rover guided tours with both a tracker and a guide. There are many surprises but you should learn those first hand.

We enjoyed the privacy of the tour. Families stayed together and were not thrust together to dine or socialize.

We chose this location for filming a television documentary. Here we had the ability to photograph and film the animals off the road as opposed to Kruger National Park where most of the animals are photographed from inside cars as the animals cross the road. (Our filming was for the documentary series titled Evolution: The Grand Experiment which examines the viability of the theory of evolution.)

Our tracker Jeremiah grew up as a child in Kruger National Park and had 40 years of tracking experience. Our land rover guide Tom has 10 years of experience and was an unbelievable source of help and knowledge.

The two managers of the hotel were simply astonishing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Documentary_producer,

We look forward to seeing the footage that you managed to get on the film and would love to share it online! Thank you for the kind review on Londolozi Varty camp and we will be sure to send your thanks onto Tom, Jerry and the rest of the team!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Tree Camp Lodge over Thanksgiving for 4 nights. It was hands down the best part of our South Africa trip and a trip of a lifetime. Words can't describe how awesome the game viewing is. If you want to see animals, LOTS OF ANIMALS, while staying in luxury - go here. You can see the Big 5 within the first 24 hrs and you will get so close to these animals you will be frightened at first. It's absolutely crazy how close you get! My favorite animals were the leopards (so beautiful) and the lions (the most energetic). We were able to see 4 different leopards on 4 different game drives, one time we saw a leopard feasting on an impala with it's baby. We were also able to see 2 different lion prides, one of which had 9 cubs, 4 females, and 2 males - we saw lions at least once a day.

As for the lodge; We decided to stay at Tree Lodge since it's adults only and only 6 lodges. If I had a larger group, we would have stayed in the Granite Suites. Londolozi is def. pricey, but worth every penny. If you are deciding between other lodges such as Singita or Ulusaba and this one - I would def. choose Londolozi because it has the most land (next to Mala Mala) to explore for animals PLUS you are able to transverse across Singita if there is an animal you can't see at Londolozi (however, we only did this once out of the 8 game drives).

Weather: It is summer time but during some of the morning drives it was cold - Bring layers. Some of the game drives I had shorts and a tank top when others I wore a long sleeve shirt, sweatpants, and a jacket. They do have blankets and rain jackets in the vehicle to help keep warm.

Food: Excellent; Be ready to eat when you come here because they def have great food and tasty fruit juices. If you like to drink, they have some great wine and liquors. I had mimosas at breakfast or some amurula w/ my coffee. Delicious.

Rooms: We stayed in Tree Camp Room 2. They were big, luxurious, Large canopy bed and large living room, bathroom had shower/ tub, and outdoors had an awesome wrap around balcony with a pool and outdoor shower. I absolutely loved the outdoor shower. The pool I never used since it was in the shade and a little cold. We kept the doors open at night so we could hear the lions roar… It was actually relatively quiet… I only have one negative comment which is I wish it had a better view. Your view is kinda blocked by trees ….other than monkeys, you won't see animals from your room. This could be different in other lodges in Londolozi. That is the only reason why I didn't rank this excellent.

Service: Everybody was so friendly, loved our guide, tracker, chefs, masseuse (awesome - had 2 massages on my balcony). Very clean and eco-friendly.

Can't wait to go back in the future when we have kids.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Natbrat185,

It is so wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Londolozi Tree Camp. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your feedback regarding the view at room two, we have taken this into consideration.
We hope that this visit is not only a 'once in a lifetime' stay and we look forward to welcoming you back with your children in the future!

Simsbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We saw so many animals! Cheetahs, lions, and Rhinos. We were able to get so close to the animals and the people were so nice! Food was great and rooms so comfortable. I recommend going to this lodge (see photos)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kyra F,

Thank you for the review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Londolozi in the future!

Much love,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at the Founders Camp at Londolozi. Folks, it doesn't get better than this. After reading that the summer 'wet' season was not the most ideal time to visit the Kruger area due to the lush vegetation and reputed difficulty in seeing animals, I was mildly concerned I'd chosen the wrong time to visit. That couldn't have been further from the truth! In fact, one early morning drive in light rain yielded a once in a lifetime experience of observing a leopard snatch a baby impala only five feet away from us. Drama unfolded with the mother calling for her calf and an encroaching hyena. Yes, you have to have patience when it comes to viewing wildlife, but the staff at Londolozi make it their personal mission to ensure every guest is 100% gratified.

I am so thankful towards Shaun at Icon Expeditions for strongly recommending this establishment in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve area. After a flight cancellation and subsequent delay on my rescheduled flight, I arrived five hours later than expected. Tammy, one of the managers and a beacon for customer service and cheerfulness, met my car upon arrival with a warm welcome and tour of the establishment. Before even checking in, I was able to cross three of the Big Four (rhino, elephant, and buffalo) off my list. Throughout my stay, Tammy and the rest of the team took it upon themselves to take my comfort and safety to the extreme. They make it seem so effortless. Because of my late arrival, Tammy was concerned that I go to bed hungry so she offered a full menu of dinner options. I wanted something light; what I got delivered to my room within five minutes was a three course meal featuring the best fish I've had in my life - a local fish whose name I cannot recall. The squash soup and watercress and avocado salad were equally delicious.

My chalet was something I could never dream up myself. It was my own eden. Luxurious amenities adorned my room, including a fully stocked (and complimentary) bar. Freshly ground coffee, which became an addiction for me, was always readily available. My own dipping pool, outdoor shower, and glass-enclosed bath overlooking the Sand River was so breathtaking, I didn't want to leave my room for the day's activities.

The 5 AM knock on my door for my first safari drive turned into one of the best safari adventures imaginable. Before I even left my chalet, a troop of Vervet monkeys feasted in the trees above my room. It was truly like a real-life scene out of Disneyland's Jungle Cruise ride. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought the animals were strategically placed amongst the 70+ hectares of private reserve that encompasses Londolozi. This place is teeming with wildlife at every turn. I was prepared to be patient in sighting animals, but our ranger (Ntsaka) and trekker (Bennett) did all the work for us. Their knowledge of the flora and fauna is encyclopedic. And they do it with such good humor. Our first stop was 10 feet away from four male lions and two lionesses taking in an early morning siesta. Warthogs, impala, kudu, nyala, zebra, wildebeest, bushbuck, steenbok, klipsringer, duiker, and mongoose topped of the rest of the morning drive, made particularly enjoyable by the mid-ride break where we enjoyed a delectable breakfast drink of coffee and amarula. In fact, every drive consisted of a mid-ride break of tapas and every drink imaginable.

After the morning drive, we were treated to a delicious breakfast spread. I cannot begin to do justice to the freshness of ingredients and creativity of the food selections. One does not starve at Londolozi. (Shout out to Chef Trent!) Lunch and dinner were equally enjoyable.

My leisurely afternoon consisted of one of the best massage treatments I have ever received. I followed that up with another one the next day. And don't miss the village cultural tour. Trust me...these people are giving back to the communities and contributing towards habitat preservation.

The afternoon drive managed to exceed the morning drive. We encountered a watering hole with a resident hippo, 6 foot Nile crocodile and fish eagle - all peacefully coexisting. Later, we stumbled upon a large herd of elephants that tolerated our presence a few feet away as we gawked for half an hour. Moments later we saw a giraffe and a large rhino. An entertaining family of mongoose capped off the PM drive.

On Day 2, we were merely feet away from a pride of 16 lions - three males, four lionesses, and nine lion cubs. We then ran into three very large rhinos with a juvenile. Ntsaka and Bennett somehow maneuver their Land Rover over bushes, thick grass, and deep inclines as if it was The Terminator in order for us to capture the best pictures.

The staff of Londolozi go out of their way to make you feel like a cherished member of their family. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the entire reserve is breathtaking. Even if I had not seen any animals, I would have been content to take in the beauty of the bush. However, the gourmet food (highlighted by one evening in a Boma with the local choir consisting of staff members entertaining us with inspiring African folk songs and dancing).

I now understand the appeal of staying at a private game reserve where specialized treatment, the ability to ride off road for hours at a time, and having a massive piece of land adjacent to Kruger National Park practically all to yourself are hallmarks of a dream safari.

Thank you to everyone at Londolozi Founders Camp. I will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear aircal72,

Wow, what a special review filled with wonderful renditions of your time with us! Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience. We look so forward to a return visit. I will be sure to send your kind words onto Tammy, Nstako, Bennet and the rest of the Founders camp team.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

As a family, (7 of us in total) we stayed at Londolozi's Founders Camp. We had the most amazing stay. The service at Londolozi was the best we have ever received. From the serving staff to management, everyone was helpful, kind, and thoughtful. We were traveling with a 9 year old boy and he received excellent care and had a blast because of the staff. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone visiting South Africa.

The amenities were great and helped us relax and unwind. Such a beautiful setting!

We also saw amazing wildlife that left us speechless. We saw everything we wanted and more. Our tracker and Ranger provided us with great viewing opportunities. They also had us involved in the tracking as well, which was quite fun.

Six adults and one child make for a large party at any location, but it was lovely to be welcomed with such open arms. More than one of us cried while leaving Londolozi. It will definitely be the place in South Africa we will never forget.

Room Tip: Founder's camp was a great location!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Lizzy H,

Thank you for your kind words about Londolozi Founders camp. It is always so wonderful to hear that we will be remembered! We look forward to a return visit in the future with the family.

Your Londolozi family

Been to Londolozi Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!