“Excellent Hotel Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Western Inn
2331 N Main St, Roswell, NM 88201   |
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Roswell
Colorado Springs
“Excellent Hotel Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

My dad and I visited Roswell, New Mexico for the first time from Colorado Springs. I have always wanted to visit this city and see the aliens and UFO's. The hotel was very clean and neat. The service was exceptional. The staff did everything in their power to make us feel welcome and comfortable. When our car trunk would not open, a mechanic at the hotel spent about an hour opening our trunk. He even replaced the part for us. I am very impressed with the atmosphere of this hotel. I would strongly recommend this to anyone visiting Roswell. The hotel is very clean. The rates are very reasonable. People can even bring pets to the hotel. Please help and support this hotel and management.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stumbled into this motel on a cross country road trip. The pool was well maintained and they let us check out late so the kids could have extra time swimming in the morning. The owners were there working as they had recently fired their managers and were cleaning up the mess the managers left behind. We had a room with 2 queen beds for about $50. The room was clean and a good size. We thoroughly enjoyed staying here. You could tell the owners really care about their motel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I went to stay at the Western Inn in Roswell with my family for a trip, it was a horrible experience. The staff, nice at first, turned out to be horrible. When we went out to see the town we left some of our belongings at the hotel and that night most of them were gone. When we asked who had been in the room we were told it was just the cleaning lady. Also my sister left her purse in the room hidden in a drawer and when she got back it had been gone through and money was missing. When we asked to see the manger the lady at the front desk, who as it turns out was the cleaning lady, told us no and to just leave. I will never go back as long as she is working there!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
CuteandSinful, *New* Manager at Western Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2009
Wow... I am truely horrified by the experience you had while you stayed here. I can assure you that the manager/ housekeeper is no longer working here. My parents Marv and Della are the owners of the western inn and they have owned this motel for the last 7 years. I have worked here off and on within those 7 years. I have seen alot of change and improvement with each year. My parents have always had the idea that they could hire a couple to possibly manage the motel full time but they have had the worst luck finding good help. I am sure you can imagine what kind of damange the manager you encountered did to my parents motel. I am not here to to bad mouth anyone or to make light of the sutuation that you endured, because there is no excuse for behavior like that. I really do hope that you possibly give us another try the next time you are in Roswell. I can promise that you will not have the kind of difficulties that you had before, that kind of behavior is not ttallorated here. Thank you for your time and I hope to meet you in the future. Jamie
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

After reading some of the comments I was concerned about staying there..it's not the Ritz but it was a comfortable motel. The owners and housekeeping staff were very friendly. Not all of the rooms have been remodeled yet but all the rooms look the same when your eyes are closed.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clarkdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

I had high hopes for the Western Inn, after reading other reviews on Tripadvisor. We like funky, vintage, and will tolerate lots of imperfections if it there is something authentic about the place. I had sought out something historic in Roswell, and this was the place I had come up with, though there were no photos of it on the internet or on their generic-ish website (now I know why).

The motel also allows pets (with $5.00 per pet fee) and the room rate was cheap--something like $50.00 a night, so total was $61 or so. I guess you get what you pay for--though we stayed in several places of similar pricing on this trip and they were all far superior to the Western Inn.

At first glance upon arrival, with its red, gold, and blue- painted adobe it seemed sorta attractive, though standard motor-court style--- nothing special or interesting. There was a pool-- clean, and well kept, and nice outdoor area with chairs and BBQ grills for the guests' use.

That being said, the Western Inn was a big disappointment. The place was a total dump-- a fleabag dive--the kinda' place you worry you might get a case of bed-bugs. The furniture was tacky 1980s office furniture with rips and stains. The electrical work was very suspicious, with loose sockets and wires. The plumbing was terrible and loose. I could actually almost pull the bathtub faucet out of the wall. When we walked in the front door was broken with the glass coming loose, and the blinds fell down off their broken bracket.

My experience was actually spoiled before we even walked into the room---We arrived in town right about 5:45pm local time and the front desk clerk fumbled around for our reservation info. Then he said he had just called us (at home-- we have no cell phone) to see if we were still coming, and had hinted that they may have given the room away because they were so busy.
This made me angry because it had 1. been a long drive to get to Roswell, 2. It wasn't even that late, and 3. that's why reservations are guaranteed with a credit card! Besides that, I had called to confirm the reservations the day before we left home.

Right off the bat I was struck with how unprofessional the place was because of my interaction with the desk clerk. It was off-putting after a long-day's drive and didn't make me feel welcome at all.

The other guests at the motel were all contractors and construction workers. When we arrived at our room there were many young fellows standing around nearby, outside their open rooms , with their shirts off, drinking cheap beers, looking around expectantly like they were waiting for someone to show up. It was more like a residential motel for transients than a place for travelers. My husband said, "Well, at least it will be quiet tonight because those guys all have to get up early for work".

The room was gross--dirty. I can handle funky and imperfect, but not dirty. The bedding didn't smell fresh. The bathroom was ugly and mildewy with stains in the tub, toilet and corners.The hot water was non-existent. I had to take a lukewarm shower. Several of the outlets did not work. My husband wouldn't even walk barefoot on the carpet. I did not get a good night sleep there.

Roswell was actually suprisingly big (population 50,000) and also real seedy. Overall a disappointing place. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay there--- Carlsbad to the south was a nicer town.

• Liked — pet friendly, decent pool, colorful adobe looks interesting from afar
  • Disliked — dirty room, bad furnishings, ugly, transient, yucky
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

When my daughter and her baby were stuck in a thunderstorm that didn't allow them to continue their trip, I called Marv at Western Inn. It was almost 10 p.m. He and Della helped get my daughter settled into a room. They waited up for her at the front desk, knowing my concern for her safety, and helped get her into her room. I am so grateful to them.
The Western Inn has its own local charm. You can park in front of your room which was necessary for my daughter to load up her car without leaving the baby.
I had stayed there myself with my 80-something mother, and they quickly and politely accommodated our little requests.
They give you something to eat in the morning. They have a true concern for their guests. How can you not appreciate the personal touch?

• Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boise ID
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I had chosen this from other reviews on Trip Advisor. In one it said the motel had recently been redone. It was dated but not cool, outdated, but funky outdated. Many contractors stay there so we had to fight to find parking space among several very large trucks. We had to park our car way out by the street, nowhere near our room. I got up at 7:30 AM to move the car so we could load it.
This is a no frills place, the price was reasonable, and Marvin, the manager couldn't have been nicer. Just was a little too funky for us. Breakfast was offered but we didn't partake.
I had thought it would be more old fashioned but hip. There was no character to the place, just plain and old.
If you want to save some money on nightly stays, this would be good. But not really a place you would want to stay more then one night in, unless you were a contractor. Or traveling on a strict budget.

• Liked — The manager
  • Disliked — was just too old and unkept
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Western Inn? Share your experiences!